LexJoker

The Supposed Monday Thread 5/19/2014 Godzilla 7.66

Name them.

Non-action spectacle: the discovery of the bones and the hidden chamber.

Action: the first MUTO reveal in Japan.

​Action: The MUTO attacking Honolulu.

Spectacle: Godzilla coming ashore in Hawaii.

Spectacle: the MUTO rampaging through Vegas.

Action: the bridge sequence

Action: The Golden Gate and the arrival of Godzilla in SF.

....do I need to go past there?

That's not counting the first immediate action-y crisis involving Cranston and Binoche (which I found fairly silly. Fun, but silly.)

It is. People are acting like there's literally no spectacle until the final 20 minutes. That's just silly.

How is it silly?EXPLAIN YO SELF

If folks didn't like Godzilla, it's important to understand that they may have wanted the same things as those who liked it. An engaging 1st half(or more), where the story is built up, and then the action at the end. And it's ok to argue about weather or not that 1st half was engaging. But to look down on them as movie noobs who just want brainless action is not fair.

That scene in that Gif you posted with

Watanabe watching GODZILLA swimming into shore was very realistic looking the way his fins were slicing through the waves

.. Spielberg and Co. would be proud of that moment that was quite a homage to JAWS and NOT JAWS: THE REVENGE..LOL!!!

What about this one?

Posted Image

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Non-action spectacle: the discovery of the bones and the hidden chamber.

Action: the first MUTO reveal in Japan.

​Action: The MUTO attacking Honolulu.

Action: the bridge sequence

....do I need to go past there?

That's not counting the first immediate action-y crisis involving Cranston and Binoche (which I found fairly silly. Fun, but silly.)

Oh give me a fucking break.

Posted Image

It's not about the quantity of the action, but the quality. Godzilla may have not been non-stop building jenga, but the battle scenes were realistic, chilling, and proportionate. What was everyones complaint about MOS' action? It gets boring. So many here say after a while the Metropolis showdown becomes meaningless and repetitive. And it's true. "Oh, there goes another tower...lemme check Twitter."I want some action in my movies too, I dont want 2 hours of dialogue (Titanic), but at the same time, I want that action to keep me invested. Compare Die Hard with Die Hard 5. Now, the "cool" thing is explosions, explosions, explosions, but after the first 5 minutes people were going "this is shit, this is shit, this is shit." In Die Hard, the action was spread out, put to scale, and it felt engaging.Godzilla did it right. Yeah the cutaways were annoying, but when we got to the grand scale, it was something good. It wasnt repetative explosions and impossible angles. Quality over quantity people. Explosions are like cuss words. It's shocking when you hear it the first time, but then after a while its like "oh. Cool." Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2

Non-action spectacle: the discovery of the bones and the hidden chamber. - Come on now. LOL

Action: the first MUTO reveal in Japan. If I'm not mistaken it took a long time between this and

this. From here on out it was great still messy with the cut aways.

Action: The MUTO attacking Honolulu.

Action: the bridge sequence- with the train? yes agree. But there was a lapse between this and

this.

....do I need to go past there? Well no because the movie was damn near over.

Okay you said

I'll be back later. but I did reply.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 1