CoolioD1

SAG nominations....

Are a joke. No brooks? WTF!Best Supporting ActressBernice Bejo, The ArtistJessica Chastain, The HelpMelissa McCarthy, BridesmaidsJanet McTeer, Albert NobbsOctavia Spencer, The HelpBest Supporting ActorKenneth Branagh, My Week with MarilynArmie Hammer, J. EdgarJonah Hill, MoneyallNick Nolte, WarriorChristopher Plummer, BeginnersBest ActressGlenn Close, Albert NobbsViola Davis, The HelpMeryl Streep, Iron LadyTilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About KevinMichelle Williams, My Week with MarilynBest ActorDemian Bichir, A Better LifeGeorge Clooney, The DescendantsLeonardo DiCaprio, J. EdgarJean DuJardin, The ArtistBrad Pitt, MoneyballBest EnsembleThe ArtistBridesmaidsThe DescendantsThe HelpMidnight in Paris

Edited by CoolioD1
adding the noms.

Okay my predicts for the wins:Best Supporting ActressOctavia Spencer, The Help(With how many noms this has it wont go home empty handed)Best Supporting ActorChristopher Plummer, BeginnersBest ActressMichelle Williams, My Week with Marilyn(Between her and Davis)Best ActorBrad Pitt, MoneyballBest EnsembleThe Descendants

I watched about ten minutes of A Better Life and gave up because the copy I had didn't have any subtitles for the mexican bits.I'm happy to see Chastain get a nod, I think this may mean I put her back in my prediction. Nothing for Extremely Loud. Hmmmmmm.

A few observations:

[*]No Brooks- WOW! Wtf??? Was never a huge supporter of this despite my love for Drive but I thought he was a shoe-in

[*]No Maramania- Fishy gets her wish! :lol:

[*]Glenn Close. Guess she's still in this thing.

[*]Melissa McCarthy is happening.

[*]Jonah Hill - pleasantly surprised to see him pop up. I was never a fan but thought he gave a surprisingly strong performance in Moneyball.

[*]Armie Hammer- I forgot he was in the running but I'm happy to see him recognized- thought his performance was great in J. Edgar

[*]Bridesmaids ensemble nod- That's awesome. They all deserve it.

I guess 7 observations is more than a few. :P

Nice for Hill.No War Horse? Uh oh....Well something to remember-The last acting winner at the Oscars without a SAG nod was Marsha Gay Harden for Polluck (Whose win came out of nowhere)And since they started-Only Braveheart has won BP with no SAG nod (but that was the first year of the SAG's, it would of been nominated now I'm sure) and Birdcage won in 1996 making it the only winner not to be nominated (Yes it won. Odd I know)

Possibly the most unhelpful bunch of SAG noms in the past 10 years.First, we the have weird SAG necromancy with Close, McTeer, DiCaprio, and Hammer, who were all left for dead by the beginning of this week. None of them have any real chance anymore after the critics killed them all but the SAG doesn't care and clearly voted based on a mix of star power, adoration for Close/DiCaprio/Eastwood's legacy, etc.And we also have them pimping out little-to-no-chance nominees like Nolte and Bichir (though I have heard some great things about A Better Life). These I don't mind really since both films got strong critical reception and they provide a little variety from the standard fare. But when combined with the silly necromancy, it makes things very muddled. Aside from clarifying a few frontrunners it leaves the rest of the acting races in flux.

• Like 1

Biggest loosers: The Tree of Life, Hugo, War Horse, Incredibly close, DriveBiggest boost: Bridesmaids :angry:, J Edgar :angry:, Albert Nobbs, Moneyball.Biggest WTF: J Edgar love (did they really see that? :blink:), Brooks omission, Bridesmaids love... Please! Stop talking of it as if it were amazing... Am I missing something? It was a funny movie. Nothing more. And Mc Carthy awards traction... One of the worst things of the year. :angry:Obviously, the actor's branch really loved three films: The Artist, The Help and The Descendants. That's very important to calibrate a films possibilities once the Oscar noms are published. The actors are the bigger part of the Academy voters.

...and if almost every BP winner gets an ensemble nom then it's between The Artist and The Descendants isn't it? Those other 3 films are certainly not going to win Best picture.

You nailed it. But then, I also realized that Descendants didn't get in in Sup actress, so there's really love for one film.That's sad because I expected Hugo and Incredibly close or The tree of Life to get in over Bridesmaids and Midnight in Paris, both very overrated movies IMHO.Thanks, SAG. With these awful choices you turned this awards season in a boring countdown until The Artist win. B O R I N G

Tree of Life never had a shot at the SAG aside from Chastain getting nominated for it instead of The Help. It's the total opposite of an "actor's movie."Tree of Life's best shot for a guild nom/win has always been the DGA because Malick is revered by the directing community.

Edited by 4815162342

Agree it only had a longshot at a nomination here, but I was rooting for it just to make sure the run for the Oscar gets as wide as possible. Now the race just gets more booooring. People, it's The Artist to loose, and only a miracle can take it out. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against The Artist, but I like the Oscars to be more difficult to predict.Right now, the only chance is that War Horse or Incredibly close have an amazing mainstream success