Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

Just got out of the drive-in, probably the least fun I've had there. I enjoyed both movies; Godzilla was about the same in quality, X-Men increased in my liking it Awkwardly, the group I went with had the closest I have to an ex in it, and we didn't talk at all the whole night. She hated both movies too :P

People actually watch movies at the drive-in?I went to a drive-in once. Safe to say, I did not watch the movie.I might've had a muffin though....
  • Like 5

So basically this is a repeat of last year as all the big movies are crowding each other out. If anything the multipliers this year are going to be a lot worse. Godzilla and TASM2 will have < 2.3 multipliers. DOFP will probably crawl to a 2.05 from a 4 day weekend.

RRRRRREALLY hoping that Marvel or WB wisens up and movies their 2016 movies to April. Doesn't TWS have 2.7 multi right now?

Yeah, these crowded Mays are killing legs…

• Like 3

It seems we haven't got used to the fact that movies open on Thursday and the studios are reporting inflated Friday numbers. Then all movies drop hard on Saturday. Next Friday the drops week-to-week are higher than they used to be too.

• Like 1

RRRRRREALLY hoping that Marvel or WB wisens up and movies their 2016 movies to April. Doesn't TWS have 2.7 multi right now?

Yeah, these crowded Mays are killing legs…

also the crowded calendar will have an even worse effect in china where multiple movies are not supported well. it's now too major a market to not schedule around.

• Like 2

lol million ways getting hate from deadline

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-disneys-maleficent-spells-success-a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-side-saddled/

"...as the pic is expected to lasso around $7M Friday...which was lower than the low end of the estimate going into the weekend. Probably because a). the advertising looks like a TV mow for a low-end cable network, b ). MacFarlane cast himself as the leading man, and c). the crude, sophomoric comedy is only funny to teenage boys(and those 40 year-old guys who have yet to move out of their parents’ basements)..."

Edited by a2k
  • Like 5

http://www.deadline.com/2014/05/box-office-disneys-maleficent-spells-success-a-million-ways-to-die-in-the-west-side-saddled/

"...as the pic is expected to lasso around $7M Friday...which was lower than the low end of the estimate going into the weekend. Probably because a). the advertising looks like a TV mow for a low-end cable network, b ). MacFarlane cast himself as the leading man, and c). the crude, sophomoric comedy is only funny to teenage boys(and those 40 year-old guys who have yet to move out of their parents’ basements)..."

Film only cost 40m, so I doubt the executives at Universal are panicking. Nice try though, Busch.

Edited by Fancyarcher
  • Like 3

I love this

• Like 1