Olive

Official Weekend Estimates: Maleficent - 70M, X-Men - 32.6M, A Million Ways - 17.1M, Godzilla - 12.2M

That's better than the  $3.9 million that “Alice in Wonderland” took in as part of its $116 million debut in March of 2010. and the $2 million that “Oz: The Great and Powerful” took in from early screenings on its way to a $79 million opening last March. “Maleficent” benefited from showings that began at 7 p.m., while “Alice” screenings were midnight screenings and “Oz” started at 9 p.m.

• Like 5

Thursday midnight or late-night earnings - Opening weekend numbers

SWATH                       $1.38M -   $56.2M

Oz                               $2M      -   $79.1M

World War Z                $3.6M   -   $66.4M

Alice in Wonderland      $3.9M   -   $116.1M

Maleficent                   $4.2M

Maleficent will almost definitely end the weekend behind Alice, but SWATH's amd WWZ's weekend grosses are well within reach. I think it could surpass $70M for the weekend. Whether it can surpass Oz though, remains to be seen. WOM or reviews don't seem that good, but then again, that was the same for Oz (and Godzilla too). The "bad WOM" effect only kicked in during later weekends.

Also, does anyone know if Frozen will be available as a double feature with Maleficent?

Edited by Quigley
  • Like 1

I guess notfabio's theater overperformed then. Based on his theaters numbers, I was expecting around 5.5-7M, but I guess Jolie has more appeal in the LA area than a few other places.

4.2 is a good start as well, should get around 70M now.

Edited by grim22