CJohn

Monday Numbers (Spatula): The Fault In Our Stars - 5.15M | Maleficent - 4M | Edge of Tomorrow - 3.1M | X-Men - 1.8M

didn't notfabio say a couple of days ago Jump was predicted to do mid-forties cause of Jonah's media issues?

I don't see that hurting 22 Jump Street's OW weekend at all. Lone Survivor dealt with an unnecessary shooting but that wasn't affected at all. 

All of those numbers seem low to me; things seem to be right for Dragon to break out.

What OW number would you equate with a break out for HTTYD2? The first opened to 43m. I have no clue about this movie. I'm curious.

What OW number would you equate with a break out for HTTYD2? The first opened to 43m. I have no clue about this movie. I'm curious.

I will be surprised if it it doesn't open to over $80m; my kids have been bugging me about this movie for the past several months :).  Under $70m would be a disappointment for me, but it looks like the powers that be are shooting for $60m+.  I would also think this movie will do big overseas as well.

We shall see in a few days :)

• Like 1

We waited 12 years for MU.

True, though that wasn't a sequel which took off right from where the first one ended. Also, even though MU was a big hit, it's gross was nearly a 100m less than the adjusted 359m of MI (not even accounting for 3D or counting it's re-release). So longish gaps do take away some audience usually. Am sure there are exceptions.

One reason it wouldn't surprise me if HTTYD2 opens in "only" 60s is that the first one came right on the heels of post-Avatar 3D rejuvenation. Alice in Wonderland was the first beneficiary of it, and 4 weeks later, HTTYD1. Though the quality of that movie and the quality of this one(going by early RT at least) could negate the effect of 3D disinterest in the long run.

Edited by a2k
  • Like 1

I will be surprised if it it doesn't open to over $80m; my kids have been bugging me about this movie for the past several months :).  Under $70m would be a disappointment for me, but it looks like the powers that be are shooting for $60m+.  I would also think this movie will do big overseas as well.

We shall see in a few days :)

So you see 80m. That's interesting. It would be something if it does double the first movie's opening weekend. Can't wait until this weekend to see how this all unfolds.

• Like 2