Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

I guess I could dig a little deeper and see if there's a flood of 270+ predictions.

Nah, you don't have to. You did a pretty good job proving it wasn't a majority of posters claiming $280M or above with your post of the members of the over/under $275M club. Finding a few extra posters' predictions like JamesFord92's $315M prediction isn't necessary.

• Like 2

I think it was definitely that fox didn't kick in the marketing till a couple weeks before.Same thing happened with Fault, they relied entirely on the pre-built fanbase and twitter buzz that they didn't give it a real advertising campaign, had they actually marketed it could have opened much higher than it did (it opened high, but that Saturday dropped showed the marketing really didn't hit anybody but the fans)And now with Dragon you have the same problem, Fox tried to rely on good will from the first instead of pumping it up as an animated event. It needed to be marketed.Fox needs to learn how to market their movies or they are going to get lost in this new front loaded world of box office.

Well, I'd be cool with them failing to market Avatar 2 well  :ph34r:

Well, I'd be cool with them failing to market Avatar 2 well :ph34r:

I can see it happening, Fox assumes everyone will go see Avatar 2 and then it "disappoints" in the 300-400m range.Honestly there's no guarantee for Avatar 2 to be a box office behemoth, it'll be a big hit (especially compared to this summer), but Avatar did so well because of its insane legs (starting the 3D craze) I can easily see people freaking out when it "flops" with a 450m total or so.
  • Like 1

22 Jump had some frickin' amazing marketing during The NBA Finals this past week.  Every commercial break there was a little commercial with the two leads joking around with NBA players about basketball.  I will bet that 22's very strong OW is aided by African-American audiences coming out to the theater for it.  Would be interested to know what percentage of the opening weekend audience is African-American.  I say this b/c African-Americans make up like 40% of the fan base watching The NBA playoffs on TV.

Edited by Ando81
  • Like 1

Oh Fuck it! I predicted $100m + OW for DOFP and total 300m. I did so with the full knowledge that Xmen movies have bad legs.  LOL so did AA. 

That's two of us. We went for the gusto.

• Like 2

Oh Fuck it! I predicted $100m + OW for DOFP and total 300m. I did so with the full knowledge that Xmen movies have bad legs.  LOL so did AA. 

You should have known better. X-men movies and shit legs go together like bacon and eggs. :ph34r:

• Like 2

I can see it happening, Fox assumes everyone will go see Avatar 2 and then it "disappoints" in the 300-400m range.Honestly there's no guarantee for Avatar 2 to be a box office behemoth, it'll be a big hit (especially compared to this summer), but Avatar did so well because of its insane legs (starting the 3D craze) I can easily see people freaking out when it "flops" with a 450m total or so.

Good point good sir. I think it'd be funny to see it disappoint tbh

I am still in shock over what you did in part 6 of the box office hunger games.

• Like 2

They're both damn good movies but 22JS edged it out by being the first ever comedy sequel on par with the original. And the first one is the best R-rated comedy of the current craze

21 JS was good enough, I laughed more in This is the End, Wolf of Wall Street, and The World's End to name a few from last year.
  • Like 1

Good point good sir. I think it'd be funny to see it disappoint tbh

I think it's bound to disappoint people's expectations because I can't see it not having a massive drop off Empire Strikes Back style.
  • Like 1

21 JS was good enough, I laughed more in This is the End, Wolf of Wall Street, and The World's End to name a few from last year.

World's End is damn funny too, but I appreciate it more for getting serious at the end rather going for non-stop hilarity, which is what Jump Street is

I am still in shock over what you did in part 6 of the box office hunger games.

Oh Lordy. I didn't even know part 6 was up.

edit: Don't know what to say about that.

Edited by ECSTASY
  • Like 2