Olive

Weekend Est: 22JUMP 60.0M| HTTYD2 50.0M|Male 19.0M|EOT 16.1M|Fault 15.7M|DOFP 9.5M

Despicable Me 2 had a multiplier of 4.4 with only a 75% on RT and a 84% score on Flixster. Give this movie a month and it will impress. I see it only dropping 25% from weekend to weekend.

I'm glad you loved it, but it's not going to do anything out of the ordinary. This is a good movie, but it didn't doing anything to set itself apart so much from other typical animated movies recently. Especially in the wake of Frozen and Lego. Legs will probably be good because of the lack of animated competition, but we all expected that already. This opening just means those legs will carry it to about the original's total(give or take obviously).
  • Like 1

Honestly, I'm impressed with that hold for TFIOS, I half expected a very teen movie like uber-frontloaded run.  Take away the OD and the run's been pretty respectable.

It is Twilight at a much smaller scale. I think it will finish just above 100M. The fanbase showed up, unfortunately doesn't look like many outside the fanbase bothered enough to.

DOFP, EoT, and HTTYD2 are as good of summer blockbusters as you could ask for. Really don't know what people want if those 3 aren't good enough...apparently Maleficent. :sick:

:stretcher:

DOFP despite being the first in 3D, has the baggage of former movies which led to feeding that erosion of its fanbase from movie to movie.  

EOT and HTTYD2 marketing were shit and failed on building up the hype.    Add the fact that it's the WC and that children, teens and young adluts from age 12 to 22/25 years old are into their exam session and it was stupid to release those movies during june.

You can have the greatest product out there.  If you don't know how to hype it to sell it to its full potential, then it's your own fault. 

Spider Man and Maleficent had the most noticeable marketing in my country...big posters all over the place 2 months before their releases, TV posts in french and english, taking the main big poster place for itself at the theater, ect.....  

DOFP had also some significant marketing like posters at bus stations, TV spot, small posters weeks before at the theaters.

CATWS had zero marketing, no poster, no TV clip, no nothing until the night before its release with a single small poster and three weeks only of movie releases, hence why i believe MS has enterred the cultural phenomenon phase of awareness as there were enough people aware of it despite the lack of any single poster the day before its release...so i beleive people are looking about the next MS movie on the internet and are so far hooked on it, aware that each movie is a piece of puzzle aiming at the next climatic Avengers Ensemble.

Edited by Ent

I'm glad you loved it, but it's not going to do anything out of the ordinary.This is a good movie, but it didn't doing anything to set itself apart so much from other typical animated movies recently. Especially in the wake of Frozen and Lego.Legs will probably be good because of the lack of animated competition, but we all expected that already. This opening just means those legs will carry it to about the original's total(give or take obviously).

Where is the Pixar family crowd going to go with there not being a top notch Pixar movie this summer?  Will they just stay home when they would normally make one those movies about 300 domestic?  There is something fishy here with there not being a Pixar movie this summer.  They will have to come out sometime this summer to keep their kids busy.

Where is the Pixar family crowd going to go with there not being a top notch Pixar movie this summer?  Will they just stay home when they would normally make one those movies about 300 domestic?  There is something fishy here with there not being a Pixar movie this summer.  They will have to come out sometime this summer to keep their kids busy.

Planes 2. :ph34r:

Based on the weekend numbers, and depending on how dollar theater expansion goes, Godzilla is on track to become the highest opener to miss 200M.

...at least we did something that had never been done before. :P

People with kids don't generally rush out to see a film unless there's huge demand from the kids. Clearly there wasn't, this time around. The "Pixar family crowd" (if there is such a thing) will probably be split between HTTYD2, PLANES 2, and MALEFICENT.

• Like 1