Blackout

Wednesday #s (Spatula): Dragon 3.53, 22JS 3.46, Malef 1.93, TLAM2 1.85, JB 1.6, FIOS 1.51, EoT 1.22, DOFP 0.83

Surprised no one’s talking about the breakout potential of Begin Again. I’m not expecting a huge PTA this weekend b/c it’s not edgy and the reviews are good, not great. But once it gets exposed to audiences I could see it outgrossing Chef. By all accounts it's the year's most charming, feel-good and irresistible movie. 

I hope it goes wide. That and Boyhood are the two indies this summer I must see.

Speaking of indies, has anyone here seen The Signal or The Rover? They both hit my area, and I'd like to know if they're good before I see them for "indie cred" :P

I would buy it

Yeah, an RTH book sounds intriguing

Didn't Lucasfilm/Fox infamously demand crazy-long minimum play periods for PHANTOM MENACE?

Yes they did a nightmare.. Lucasfilm brings new meaning to the work control they want to control everything to the microscopic level.

Like at the theatre level theatres were suppose to report and get approval to move screens so like we are playing on Screen 5 and next week we want to move to screen 7

• Like 3

I hope it goes wide. That and Boyhood are the two indies this summer I must see.

Speaking of indies, has anyone here seen The Signal or The Rover? They both hit my area, and I'd like to know if they're good before I see them for "indie cred" :P

Yeah, an RTH book sounds intriguing

Boyhood is probably my most anticipated movie of the Summer. 

Boyhood is probably my most anticipated movie of the Summer. 

Same. I've been anticipating it since I first discovered the Internet

Yes they did a nightmare.. Lucasfilm brings new meaning to the work control they want to control everything to the microscopic level.

Like at the theatre level theatres were suppose to report and get approval to move screens so like we are playing on Screen 5 and next week we want to move to screen 7

I find this all fascinating. Any other interesting "control-freak studios" stories?

If I'm seeing Transformers tomorrow, I need to see it as a double feature with Edge of Tomorrow.

Why don't you just triple Dragon 2, Edge and 22 Jump Street? Now that'd be a quality time and it'd be about the same length

Edited by Blankments

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see it only do 8M

I've been tracking the LA area sneak/midnight shows, and if it doesn't pick up at all, it would be in that range (DOTP/TASM2/GODZILLA-ish). I expect a late rush, though -- there almost always is.

You know, I always wondered...if things came to a head between studios/distributors and theater chains, what would it take for the Big 6 to pool resources and take over a major chain or two? Would it even be possible? Would they deem it worthwhile, or would they rather change the whole game, with no more theatrical releases?

Studios used to own the theater chains. They got busted with an anti-trust claim.

• Like 3

You know, I always wondered...if things came to a head between studios/distributors and theater chains, what would it take for the Big 6 to pool resources and take over a major chain or two? Would it even be possible? Would they deem it worthwhile, or would they rather change the whole game, with no more theatrical releases?

In a nutshell many years ago studios owned a lot of the theatre chains, until it was deamed they couldn't (internationally some studio part/full ownership exists with some theatres/circuits)... if you remember in more recently there was for a time Sony Lows theatre chain.

another example in Australia up until mid 80's Hoyts Cinema chain was 50% owned by Fox which they owned for 50 years.

Edited by Rth
  • Like 2

Well, I'm sure that, being under Disney now, they will be far more relaxed and easy-going.

They probably wouldn't want to, in most cases. Why bother with the added hassle when they can let others run the risk of failure while the studios still collect the profit.

It's kinda like big agriculture. Companies like Monsanto own basically everything in the supply chain, from seed patents on up. The only thing they don't do is the actual farming, letting individual farmers and such run the risk of crop failure and have to deal with things like the weather. From a company perspective, that's a risk they don't need to take.

Sequel nobody asked for that will almost certainly decrease.

Y'all would be railing against this if you didn't like the movie  ;)

Remember this next time you complain about an unnecessary sequel

• Like 2