Tammy (2014)  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Tammy (2014)

A below average comedy. This movie reminded of Millions of Ways to Die in the West. I am pretty sure that I forget about in a weeks time,  There a some jokes that work in the movie but most fall flat and the movie is to long. It was a pretty typical comedy and very predictable

2/5 . 

Melissa McCarthy continues to be engaging, but this is such a scattershot affair that I'm surprised that it got released in its finished form. The screenplay, co-written by McCarthy herself, tries to balance between the type of humor the actress has become associated with and a character study, but it does so in a rather inconsistent manner that is unlikely to really satisfy either side. Still, the cast makes it a pleasant enough experience. McCarthy continues to prove her overnight transition from longtime character actress to leading lady has been welcome even though her "broad comedy" shtick is starting feel kind of rote, and she has an enjoyable chemistry with Susan Sarandon (always a pleasure), although I had to keep being reminded that she was playing McCarthy's grandmother (she would've been more believable as her mother instead). Beyond Sarandon, we find a wealth of talent in supporting roles, including Allison Janney, Kathy Bates, Dan Aykroyd, Toni Collette, and others. I really wish McCarthy and director/co-writer Ben Falcone (her husband in real life who has appeared in all of her films since Bridesmaids, including this film) had come up with a better project together than this forgettable effort but I guess it's nice that they got the opportunity at all. C+

Melissa McCarthy continues to be engaging, but this is such a scattershot affair that I'm surprised that it got released in its finished form. The screenplay, co-written by McCarthy herself, tries to balance between the type of humor the actress has become associated with and a character study, but it does so in a rather inconsistent manner that is unlikely to really satisfy either side. Still, the cast makes it a pleasant enough experience. McCarthy continues to prove her overnight transition from longtime character actress to leading lady has been welcome even though her "broad comedy" shtick is starting feel kind of rote, and she has an enjoyable chemistry with Susan Sarandon (always a pleasure), although I had to keep being reminded that she was playing McCarthy's grandmother (she would've been more believable as her mother instead). Beyond Sarandon, we find a wealth of talent in supporting roles, including Allison Janney, Kathy Bates, Dan Aykroyd, Toni Collette, and others. I really wish McCarthy and director/co-writer Ben Falcone (her husband in real life who has appeared in all of her films since Bridesmaids, including this film) had come up with a better project together than this forgettable effort but I guess it's nice that they got the opportunity at all. C+

In the beginning, I didn't think MM was engaging. more annoying then anything else. After she was forced to change off the party, I thought she then got more engaging. Anyway pretty standard but a nicer second half.On the cast, I said that myself as the movie started, I couldn't believe the other actors in the movie, which also included Gary Cole. Anyway, I thought Susan Sarandon and Kathy Bates were the standouts.On her and Ben Falcone, it seems like this was the movie that they wanted to make as they wrote, directed, produced and starred in it.Don't think MM will ever be a Sandra Bullock type actress, where she will always be a joke.

One of the 50 worst films I've seen in my life time.If I could give it a negative number I would.0/10

i kindof agree but I kindof liked it as I just blocked out and ignored Melissa McCarthy.

But still it was pretty bad, but I have to find something to like in a movie.

Edited by Lazer Deadshot

I found absolutely nothing likable about any of the characters. There was no humor in the film. The writing is just a really bad excuse for a kindergarten short story with a few middle fingers thrown in to make it more adult. What an abomination of a film. Jack and Jill is the Hangover compared to Tammy.

• Like 1

I found absolutely nothing likable about any of the characters. There was no humor in the film. The writing is just a really bad excuse for a kindergarten short story with a few middle fingers thrown in to make it more adult. What an abomination of a film. Jack and Jill is the Hangover compared to Tammy.

Did you consider walking out of the movie?

It's really boring with only a couple mildly funny scenes (the robbery and reactions to Pearl still being alive).  

And where was that strip club/bar scene that was advertised in the trailers/spots and even included as one of the movie posters?

LOL I'm one of those people that no matter how much the movie sucks, I always stick it out until the end. Especially when I forked over the cash to see it in the first place.

It's been 3 days since I've seen this, and maybe it's because of...other stuff...but this movie basically become one big blur to me. It's not good, it's not awful, it's just...there. The definition of instantly forgettable.

LOL I'm one of those people that no matter how much the movie sucks, I always stick it out until the end. Especially when I forked over the cash to see it in the first place.

It's been 3 days since I've seen this, and maybe it's because of...other stuff...but this movie basically become one big blur to me. It's not good, it's not awful, it's just...there. The definition of instantly forgettable.

As am I...

Against my better judgment. The last movie I strongly considered walking out of was Year One with Jack Black. It's pretty tragic that's the last project Harold Ramis did.

Tammy: I really don't understand the hate for this movie. If you didn't know the plot (and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't since none of the trailers or commercials told the plot) Tammy has a really bad day and decides she had enough of it and leaves town with her grandma (played by Susan Sarandon). Its basically a road trip movie. Unlike Melissa McCarthy's last road trip movie Identity Theft (I still can't stand that movie) this time around McCarthy is playing a character with a good enough back story for you to actually care about her. 

Yes, the character herself can be unlikable at times but with the back story and her charm, you really like the character by the end of this film. The film is not really laugh out loud funny but it has enough chuckles, an interesting story and a great cast including Kathy Bates, Mark Duplass, Dan Aykroyd, and Dax Faxon that I really didn't need the big laughs to enjoy the movie.

Now there are some jokes that fail, the movie's more serious parts felt a little mishandled at times but overall this movie feels more like a small indie film then a big studio production. I can safely say this movie is for me like The Internship. As in I really wasn't expecting to like this movie but overall really liking it. 

Grade: B+

• Like 1

Tammy: I really don't understand the hate for this movie. If you didn't know the plot (and I wouldn't blame you if you didn't since none of the trailers or commercials told the plot) Tammy has a really bad day and decides she had enough of it and leaves town with her grandma (played by Susan Sarandon). Its basically a road trip movie. Unlike Melissa McCarthy's last road trip movie Identity Theft (I still can't stand that movie) this time around McCarthy is playing a character with a good enough back story for you to actually care about her. 

Yes, the character herself can be unlikable at times but with the back story and her charm, you really like the character by the end of this film. The film is not really laugh out loud funny but it has enough chuckles, an interesting story and a great cast including Kathy Bates, Mark Duplass, Dan Aykroyd, and Dax Faxon that I really didn't need the big laughs to enjoy the movie.

Now there are some jokes that fail, the movie's more serious parts felt a little mishandled at times but overall this movie feels more like a small indie film then a big studio production. I can safely say this movie is for me like The Internship. As in I really wasn't expecting to like this movie but overall really liking it. 

Grade: B+

Agree, mostly for the supporting cast.