Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

• Founder / Operator

Battle Los Angeles was such a let down. Worst film I've seen this year, straight up boring.

Battle: LA, Green Lantern, and C&A have a seriously epic showdown for their lack of entertainment value for me. Granted, the former two fulfilled everything I came to be expecting of them...which was virtually nothing.

• Founder / Operator

The American Pie movies all came out when I was a kid, so I never really got into that series.I am looking forward to the Titanic re-release though. Still on the fence about Five-Year Engagement.

I was 14 when AP1 came out. First saw it about six months after that, but never saw any of them in theaters until Wedding came out the year I graduated. Love those movies, though not quite as much as the current Apatow generation of flicks.

• Founder / Operator

Yeah, I don't think I used the right choice of words there. They simply never looked all that appealing to me.

Yea, you were several years behind that particular high school generation that really drove that franchise I suppose. Edited by ShawnMR

Battle: LA, Green Lantern, and C&A have a seriously epic showdown for their lack of entertainment value for me. Granted, the former two fulfilled everything I came to be expecting of them...which was virtually nothing.

Yeah, I don't know about the other 2, but kudos to Sony where it's due- the trailer and marketing for Battle: Los Angeles made it look an epic blockbuster, Independence Day Pt II. It turned out to be an at time laughably bad, uneventful and boring 2 hour advertisement for the USMC. What a joke!And their tricks worked- the movie grossed 3x its $70m production budget worldwide ensuring a decent profit in the long run.

• Founder / Operator

Battle:LA is one of the prime examples of a movie that I would point toward to exemplify just how desperately Hollywood is trying to turn its movies into video games.The narrative felt like something out of Battlefield 3 or Modern Warfare. Just...mind-numbingly pedestrian.

Battle:LA is, as I've long said, one of the worst movies ever made. Green Lantern is a case of practically everything done poorly. C&A is okay, just okay. Edited by C00k13

• Founder / Operator

This isn't really anything to go on but I've been in contact with two people involved with the recording of the scores for JC and THG and both of them seemed really impressed with the movies.

A great score can completely change a movie, IMHO. I really hope that's true for both.

Movie I have seen this year (in order):BurlesqueThe TouristTron LegacyHereafterThe Next Three DaysLove and Other DrugsGreen HornetThe FighterThe Kings SpeechBlack SwanWinter's BoneTrue GritSanctumThe DilemmaRangoHow Do You Know?The Adjustment BureauSeason of the WitchThe RiteI Am Number FourHall PassSucker PunchJust Go With ItHopRed Riding HoodSource CodeRioBattle: Los AngelesThorLimitlessFast FiveWater for ElephantsUnknownPirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger TidesThe Lincoln LawyerThe Tree of LifeThe Hangover Part IIX-Men First ClassKung Fu Panda 2The EagleThe BeaverTransformers 3Cars 2Bad TeacherHannaHarry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II (twice in theaters)BridesmaidsInsidiousSuper 8Horrible BossesThe SmurfsCaptain AmericaRise of the Planet of the ApesGreen LanternCowboys & AliensFriends with BenefitsFinal Destination 5Fright NightThe Change-UpMidnight in ParisKiller EliteCrazy, Stupid, LoveDream HouseShark Night 3DJohnny English RebornThe HelpContagionThe Three MusketeersParanormal Activity 3The Adventures of Tintin: The Secret of the UnicornReal SteelThe Thing50/50In TimeTower HeistThe Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part IImmortalsPuss in BootsNew Years EveMission: Impossible - Ghost ProtocolThe Rum DiaryI will see tomorrow The Lion King and Alvin and the Chipmunks 3 on Wednesday.

This isn't really anything to go on but I've been in contact with two people involved with the recording of the scores for JC and THG and both of them seemed really impressed with the movies.

That's encouraging to hear. Good material gives inspiration for composers.

• Founder / Operator

It was the movies they said they loved. Discussing the score is strictly forbidden, although they're allowed to talk about the movie for some reason.

I see, slightly mistook the context of your post. Either way, hopefully their enjoyment is indicative of the rest of those working on the score.

It was the movies they said they loved. Discussing the score is strictly forbidden, although they're allowed to talk about the movie for some reason.

That is weird. But judging from the JC score samples it sounds like it's going for the pulpy Star Wars/Trek vibe that should serve it really well.

I'm slowly starting to get into The Hunger Games hype myself. Trailer looks interesting, and reading about the universe Collins created its sounds like there's some real imagination put into it.Plus John Carter, of course, and both the animated efforts coming out in March look promising.

The HG books are very good especially the first two. Third one was my least favorite but still good. What surprised me was how dark Collins went with the story.And I've always been on the JC bandwagon.

That is weird. But judging from the JC score samples it sounds like it's going for the pulpy Star Wars/Trek vibe that should serve it really well.

JC is entirely symphonic and she described it (the movie) as big and romantic. Giacchino is a real entertainer and makes everyone laugh. She described it as "a giant gathering of nerds."THG is still a work in progress, JNH is writing music non-stop. He said whenever they're shown little clips he (the 'source' for lack of a better word) really gets into it and forgets he has a job to do. JNH really loves the movie. Edited by ddddeeee

I forgot about John Carter, which I'll definitely be seeing (but if reviews are shoddy, perhaps not paying for).Other than that, though, I have to disagree. A couple of films might have some potential at the box office, but as far as what I'm actually looking forward to its mostly in April (American Reunion, Titanic, Five-Year Engagement).

Forgot about FYE. That looks very funny. Edited by CJohn