Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

Piracy is a monster in Portugal and it is killing the theaters. We are 11 million people. In average, only 200,000 go to the theaters every weekend. That is HORRIBLE.

200,000? Depending on how many screens in the country there are, that's a whole lot if it's just the average. Edited by C00k13

There are 11,000,000 persons in this country. Only 200,000 of them go to theaters every week. Denmark, for example, has 5,500,000 people, and the average is also 200,000 per weekend.

I wouldn't calculate ticket sales average depending on the country's population but rather how many screens there are. Edited by C00k13

I wouldn't calculate ticket sales average depending on the country's population but rather how many screens there are.

There are something like 450-475 screens in Portugal. Edited by CJohn

I pretty much just go to the movies to watch big event pictures. Last time I went was for Deathly Hallows pt2 and I might be seeing MI4 soon. It's just too expensive to go watch a stupid movie when I can see it at home in 4 months on crystal clear blu-ray for 2 dollars...On top of that, going to the cinema is like a grievance now. You pay good money to see a movie and have it spoiled by rotten brats who for the life of them can't stop texting for 2 hours to watch a movie they just shelled out 15 bucks to see.

On top of that, going to the cinema is like a grievance now. You pay good money to see a movie and have it spoiled by rotten brats who for the life of them can't stop texting for 2 hours to watch a movie they just shelled out 15 bucks to see.

This is so fucking true.

Australia is also by the sea, and we have one of the highest per capita attendance rates.

Last time I checked, Oz economy kicks the shit out of Portugal`s. Heck, if EU didn`t let Balkans and ex-Commie contries in, Portugal would have remained the poorest in the Union.

Last time I checked, Oz economy kicks the shit out of Portugal`s. Heck, if EU didn`t let Balkans and ex-Commie contries in, Portugal would have remained the poorest in the Union.

I think Greece and Ireland are the worst of Europe right now, but Portugal is pretty much in the shit. :lol::(

Question for all BOT users and maybe a thread can be created somewhere about how many movies have you seen this year compared to years previous. Personally I am at a decade's low in terms of seeing movies. Saw a ton at end of 2010 but none so far (maybe going to MI4 in IMax). Been busy with life doing a couple things but still not motivated because the projects haven't been worth the money overall from what I've been told. HP8, Moneyball, H&K3 were last 3 and I saw most of those matinee early which I never have done in past. So how many movies have you gone to see in comparison to years past?

Question for all BOT users and maybe a thread can be created somewhere about how many movies have you seen this year compared to years previous. Personally I am at a decade's low in terms of seeing movies. Saw a ton at end of 2010 but none so far (maybe going to MI4 in IMax). Been busy with life doing a couple things but still not motivated because the projects haven't been worth the money overall from what I've been told. HP8, Moneyball, H&K3 were last 3 and I saw most of those matinee early which I never have done in past.So how many movies have you gone to see in comparison to years past?

So far seen 36 in theaters, 49 overall. Have 7 left to see from this year. I usually end up seeing 50-60 overall and 40-50 of those in theaters. This year hasn't been any different for me than years past. Then again I'm a true movie fan. Seriously, people, if you're a movie fan and you have the time and money for it...go to the theater. But if you think watching a movie alone at home on a TV is better than watching it in a communal atmosphere with spirited crowd reactions, then I guess nothing can help you.
  • Like 2

So far seen 36 in theaters, 49 overall. Have 7 left to see from this year. I usually end up seeing 50-60 overall and 40-50 of those in theaters. This year hasn't been any different for me than years past. Then again I'm a true movie fan. Seriously, people, if you're a movie fan and you have the time and money for it...go to the theater. But if you think watching a movie alone at home on a TV is better than watching it in a communal atmosphere with spirited crowd reactions, then I guess nothing can help you.

You are far from the average consumer but yeah its cool but expensive to go that much.