Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

• Founder / Operator

I agree, it needs more time to prove it. Just as real world recession, its about continued and sustained growth. Here's hoping that January isn't a one-off.Still, enough people are speculating about it so I felt it warranted a minor change in the topic's title. :)

Are ticket prices in the U.S just as high as before or are they starting to lower it? I noticed on BOM that the average ticket price in 2011 came out slightly lower than 2010.

Edited by C00k13

I used to go 35 times to the theaters, last year I went maybe 5 times. I just can't afford to go to the movies anymore, so yes I dl them illegally. So sue me? I pay 15 bucks to see a movie for a couple hours and gas to get there or I pay nothing to watch it on my big screen. Which do you think most would choose? I just don't have the spare income anymore to do it. Say what you want about me, but it's just too frigging expensive now for me to go as often as I used to.

• Like 1

It's called "theft" when people do that. Sue me for libel, if that's an inaccurate assessment. If it is justified by high prices at the theater, then shoplifiting is justified by high prices at the grocery store. Theft is theft.

Edited by rb02
  • Like 2

• Founder / Operator

March will be huge. If all the would-be blockbusters somehow do well in that month, the slump will officially be over.

This. At the rate we're going, I'm even more confident in big movies like TDKR, Avengers and Hobbit making utter bank should each live up to expectations. Edited by ShawnMR

I would call the slump over if two of THG, JC and Lorax manage to break out. JC SB spot was very impressive and I've had a big change of heart towards the film, I could easily see Tron or SH2 numbers, THG is acceptable if it reaches 150m but 180m is a necessary target. Families haven't had a animation to feast on in a while and I would be looking at Lorax to give us a sign of recovery in that demography, it should also be looking at 150m200m for JC, 200m for THG and 150m for Lorax and I'll agree the slump is over but we could fall back into it if the crucial summer period is a dud.