Shawn Robbins

The Great Box Office Recession? -- Discussing the Up & Down Trends of the Box Office Market

Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will the Disappointing BO Extend to Summer 2013?

• YES!
    • YES/NO! As some Big Budget Movies Won't be Affected!
    • NO!

• Founder / Operator

2013 looks interesting, especially the summer which I can see out-performing summer 2012 is enough films deliver. Take out Avengers and TDKR and, IMHO, summer of 2012 was disappointing. A bit part of that is because everything in May...well, sucked...and then of course, the market collapsed toward the end of July/early August due to outside circumstances.May 2013, though... watch out. It may not have a $600+m grosser, but it may not need one. 2012's down months could be come 2013's up months, and vice versa.

• Like 2

2013 looks interesting, especially the summer which I can see out-performing summer 2012 is enough films deliver. Take out Avengers and TDKR and, IMHO, summer of 2012 was disappointing. A bit part of that is because everything in May...well, sucked...and then of course, the market collapsed toward the end of July/early August due to outside circumstances.May 2013, though... watch out. It may not have a $600+m grosser, but it may not need one. 2012's down months could be come 2013's up months, and vice versa.

May and June look strong. July could surprise. And the holiday season is crazy. I'm confident about 2013 beating 2012.
  • Like 1

May and June look strong. July could surprise. And the holiday season is crazy. I'm confident about 2013 beating 2012.

What about the rest of the year? See, we kind of fell into this trap with 2011, we were all talking about how awesome the summer was going to be forgetting that the rest of the year counts too.
  • Like 1

What about the rest of the year? See, we kind of fell into this trap with 2011, we were all talking about how awesome the summer was going to be forgetting that the rest of the year counts too.

The same thing happened in 2012 and yet it still broke the record. May, June, November and December are gonna be big. It is for us to see what surprises the other months hold.
  • Like 1

I think for the most part it is over, every summer month now seems to have a mega success (IM3 for May, MOS and MU for june and Despicable Me for July) and the holiday seasons look exceptionally strong this year. As long as August-October aren't abysmal then I can't see it happening

• Like 1

Well, with Iron Man 3 blowing away expectations we may be able to catch up to 2012 by the end of the month.

The number to beat by then is 542.4. I'll be incredibly optimistic and say 144m for May. But that still only gets 2013 to about 506m.
  • Like 1

The number to beat by then is 542.4. I'll be incredibly optimistic and say 144m for May. But that still only gets 2013 to about 506m.

144? That seems pretty pessimistic considering we still have Star Trek and Fast opening. Those could combine for more than 150 million on their opening weekends.

• Like 1

So May will end up with, by my estimation, 136.7m tickets which makes it the biggest May since 2004. June looks like it's off to a good start too, the overall weekend will be up on last year by maybe 10-20%. I think 140-145m is a good target.

Edited by lab276
  • Like 1

This'll wear off next year. 

Should wear off 1-2 punch of the extremely wide appeal  of Fast Seven and The Avengers. 

However I think Winter 2014 will be quite impressive but not as big Winter 2013. 

Edited by Lordmandeep
  • Like 2

Looks like it's time to bump this thread again. 2017 is going to finish under 2016 unadjusted and the short-term schedule to open 2018 doesn't look especially promising. With all the franchises that failed and disappointed over the past year and all the off-screen scandals that have kept the industry in the headlines for all the wrong reasons for the past few months, things are looking pretty grim right now.