17 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I dont consider myself pretty smart but usually I dont feel THAT dumb as I did after watching this  :wacko:

here I need to read other ppl's opinions...

put a C+ but again probably its my fault for not understanding the greater meaning...

the cinematography & editing are great & the film is really intense 

Edited by Tauriel

It's a difficult movie. Very atmospheric and gets under your skin. It's not for everyone and it's more like a David Lynch film. After a couple of viewings where i finally understood some plot points i think it's my favourite movie of the year so far.

• Like 1

Hmm its a great film and its one of those rare films where grading it with a _/10 rating seems completely unfitting

There's a great subtle performance from JG, there's some of the creepiest and intense scenes that I ever saw and there's a lot of deeper meaning about relationships, cheating and men/women psychology

Its an interesting watch for sure I recommend it highly

Memorable, hugely well made and deeply uncomfortable. Not particularly a favorite or anything but it's an interesting film nonetheless, especially for Villeneuve to make at the same time as Prisoners (they share nothing at all except deep discomfort).

"I'll see you soon."

"Yeah, I'll see you soon."

It is rare when an exchange such as above as such a lasting and deep impact, and yet such is very much the case here.  The idea of coming across your identical living a separate life is not an entirely new one.  There are typically one of two trains of thought pertaining to this idea.  There is the inherent creepiness that comes with the idea of crossing paths with your identical self.  More specifically is the enhanced creepiness of actually meeting your identical half and all that would entail with that chance encounter.  On the flip side there is always a tingle of psychological warfare that comes with this idea.  The idea of a man's inner psyches pitting themselves against one another and conversing in an all-out war of sorts.  Thankfully, for the viewer, we get treated to a little bit of both of these aspects.

Denis Villeneuve proved himself in Prisoners to be a master at not only creating atmosphere, but catering that atmosphere to fit the mood and tone of his film.  In Prisoners we witnessed an oppressive and murky atmosphere catered to the mindset of the characters.  As a viewer we are witness to something entirely different here.  As far as architectural atmosphere goes, this has to be considered a masterpiece.  Sure, you may never hear those two words uttered in succession again, but the point stands.  Disorienting, dizzying, and downright surreal shots are used to spectacular effect here.  

Perhaps most importantly is the fact that this atmosphere is complemented by a focus on the human brain.  In effect it is the atmosphere of the urban sprawl interacting with the human brain that is ultimately a treat here.  Villenueve proves a master to all at provoking those dark thoughts and moods inherent in a mind at constant battle with itself.  At times this is nothing short of a haunting experience into a man's inner psyche.  A showcase of how atmosphere can be used as substance in a film, plain and simple.

This is ultimately one of those films that creeps under your skin.  There is a distinct style here that only really shows itself after some time is spent with the Adam/Anthony.  As more is deciphered the style becomes deeper and carries greater impact.  Close-ups of our main character's face are a perfect example of this.  As with all great psychological films, it is those things that a left unsaid that carry the most weight.  Blank stares and confused expressions here are ultimately the stuff of legend.  As a viewer I was propelled into this man's brain and felt his inner anguish.  What a fantastic viewing this ultimately was.

Simply put..........a superior atmospheric mind-bender.
  • Like 4

Oh yeah this was great. Such a cool, controlled horror - it feels like half the movie was shot like the Winkies scene in Mulholland Drive, with the same air of vague terror. It's also one of the best, most original explorations of infidelity and its consequences I've seen in film. Great score, killer ending.

• Like 4

I didn't get it, but it's so technically perfect, well directed and acted that it's hard to not enjoy it. Cinematography and sound editing are on another level, those aerial shots were breathtaking. 55/100

Edited by Goffe