Jack Nevada

Movie scores 2014

I read somewhere that a great film composer (one who did most of Frank Capra's films) once said that a composer has done his job when the people come out remembering the film more than the score and that no composer has done their job right when somebody remembers the soundtrack better than the story itself.I'm looking at you TASM2.

well, he is wrong.

• Like 2

well, he is wrong.

I don't think he's absolutely wrong as a score should compliment a story not overwhelming it to call attention onto itself during the experience but I don't think it's the composer's fault if he does the best work he can deliver despite the fact that the director of the movie did a shitty job at telling the story. I mean the composer shouldn't have to lower himself making irrelevant music just because the director is not on his A-game.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 3

I read somewhere that a great film composer (one who did most of Frank Capra's films) once said that a composer has done his job when the people come out remembering the film more than the score and that no composer has done their job right when somebody remembers the soundtrack better than the story itself. I'm looking at you TASM2.

Eh, I don't really agree with that. If the composer ends up working on a dog of a film, does that mean they should slum it on the score, in case they might do the best part?
  • Like 1

Attack of the Clones suffers outside of the love theme because of how damn over-extended Williams was through 2002. He C&P'd so much music from Phantom Menace into the third act of Clones, and then he randomly inserts Attack of the Clones music into pieces of Chamber of Secrets.

Dat Quidditch match/Coruscant chase music.

• Like 3

Days of Future Past is my least favorite John Ottman score ever. The action music was unbelievably generic, like Steve Jablonsky levels. Clearly Ottman had someone breathing down his neck the entire time.

Edited by ddddeeee

Days of Future Past is my least favorite John Ottman score ever. The action music was unbelievably generic, like Steve Jablonsky levels. Clearly Ottman had someone breathing down his neck the entire time.

Hm, really? I actually quite liked the DoFP score. Ok, maybe the action beats were generic, but forever in love thanks to the reintroduction of the X2 theme and the Hope theme

• Like 3

Hm, really? I actually quite liked the DoFP score. Ok, maybe the action beats were generic, but forever in love thanks to the reintroduction of the X2 theme and the Hope theme

I'm allergic to anything that even resembles Time from Inception at this point so I wasn't a fan of those cues and I thought his X2 main theme was really underused.

• Like 1

So Williams didn't do the job right by this definition because I clearly remember his soundtracks more than the movies...

I never said it was fact. Do realize that most people go to see the movie and the score is supposed to be more of a helpful push into projecting emotions out of the paying customers. But the main focus of a film is supposed to tell a story, not showcase it's music (though a film with a great story and great soundtrack is a definite bonus). Those are what concerts are for.