The Panda

Box Office Forums Official 15 Best Original 21st Century Blockbusters l Deadline August 7

The 21st century has really been a time of numerous sequels, prequels, remakes, reboots, book adaptions, comic book adaptions, etc. So I thought it would be good for there to be a Box Office Forums list for the best original blockbusters out there, that don't have any pre-existing material to work off of and still succeed.In case you need some clarification on what I mean by original blockbusterExamples of Original BlockbustersInception, Gravity, Pacific Rim, Django Unchained etc.Examples of Not-Original BlockbustersSpider-Man, The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Godzilla, etc.Pretty much if it got a screenplay nod at the Oscars it would be put under Best Original Screenplay.Also for the film to qualify as a blockbuster it either needs to have a budget of around 100m or higher or grossed 200m or higher.NEW RULE: If the movie is inspired by something (such as a theme park, toy, book) but not an actual adaption of it, it will be counted as original.Ex. Frozen, Pirates 1, Battleship (not transformers since that is based off the cartoon series)

NEW RULE #2: You are now allowed to use book adaptions as long as it is not a franchise book.  (Such as Hunger Games, Harry Potter, LOTR)  This would make movies such as Edge of Tomorrow, The Wolf of Wall Street, and Minority Report available for your lists.The points scale will go like this1. 5 Points2. 4 Points3. 3 Points4. 3 Points5. 3 Points6. 2 Points7. 2 Points8. 2 Points9. 2 Points10. 2 Points11. 1 Point12. 1 Point13. 1 Point14. 1 Point15. 1 PointAnd here is a copy list1.2.3.4.5.6.7.8.9.10.11.12.13.14.15.

Edited by The Panda

Is the definition of a blockbuster a movie that grosses 100m? A movie that costs at least 100m? Both? Neither?

Oops sorry, I added a qualification

It either needs to have grossed 200m or more or it needs to have a budget of around 100m or higher (around meaning if its 90m it will still count, just not 60m)

• Like 2

I subscribe to the idea that a a blockbuster is a MAJOR hit and not just an expensive movie with special effects, so I wouldn't have considered edge of tomorrow anyway.

Think of this as Original Blockbuster or Tentpole, since what we call a blockbuster has changed throughout time.

Oops sorry, I added a qualificationIt either needs to have grossed 200m or more or it needs to have a budget of around 100m or higher (around meaning if its 90m it will still count, just not 60m)

Thanks. Obviously we could probably discuss the definition of a blockbuster for quite awhile, but having some specific criteria (like you gave) is very helpful.
  • Like 2

Thanks. Obviously we could probably discuss the definition of a blockbuster for quite awhile, but having some specific criteria (like you gave) is very helpful.

I figured that way it could fit both the two main definitions people usually give (either big budget or big hit) and we could avoid arguments over what a blockbuster is.

• Like 1

Pirates of the Caribbean

Hancock

Inception

How to Train your Dragon

The Hangover

Django

Frozen

Gladiator (does year 2000 qualify)

• Like 1

Pirates of the Caribbean

Hancock

Inception

How to Train your Dragon

The Hangover

Django

Frozen

Gladiator (does year 2000 qualify)

Pirates is a ride, how to train your dragon is a book series and frozen is the snow queen.

honestly, I don't think we're gonna get a very impressive list here.