baumer

The Expendables 3 (2014)

27 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

I don't even know what that means Matt, but deep down inside, all of us, except perhaps you, are all nerds.  IMO

You're most likely too old to experience Emo's. They are those weird kids that wear the awfully tight black jeans and look slightly gothic, only they aren't gothic. Remember in 21 Jump Street when they first enrol into school and they see the group of kids that just look out of place?? well they were Emo's

In all honesty, I don't quite understand why your letter was Emo.

I had no plans for seeing this but my ladyfriend dragged me in - well, according to her, it was better than her nightshift the day before (she works as a nurse in a geriatric ward so take that for what it's worth). Gibson and Banderas were the only redeeming qualities of this bored production. plus the location scouts must have worked their asses off to find those about 10 places on three continents which all look the same, that is, taken straight out of Fallout. The action - well, it starts ok (the intro sequence with the train) but then goes downhill, the whole climax was completely uninspired, I even caught myself yawning.

• Like 1

I didn't need to watch the leaked copy to know that it would be a waste of my time. All of these actors have had great roles in their lifetime ... you can't 'combine their powers' to create a super movie, all you do is get a watered down action movie. Ensemble casts are the worst, just can't dedicated enough screen time to develop enough of a streamlined story worthy of my time.

Rating : Will not watch

I could have written a terrific movie with all the talent involved in this, it's not that hard.  Stallone messed it up.

Yep, I think so too. Mel Gibson was really good but his character was a complete zero. You have to build up a villain, not just tell us he's a badun. especially if he's an ex-member of the team. The youngsters were complete zeroes too, you didn't care for any of them and, frankly, I didn't see the need for them at all except as a gag going on for much too long. If you're wanting to show how old actioners can mop up the floor with young actioners, why not put the young ones in an opposite team?

The old team should never have been disbanded, this was ri-di-cu-lous - why would Barney do that?! When we all know they'll be back in action in no time at all?!

Edited by IndustriousAngel
  • Like 1

The old team should never have been disbanded, this was ri-di-cu-lous - why would Barney do that?! When we all know they'll be back in action in no time at all?!

I was kind of hoping that Gibson's plan to escape was going to be that he just offered Stallone's new team 20 times their current paycheck to switch sides meaning he'd have to go back to his old team in order to take out his new team.

I finally saw it. I don't completely agree with the majority that this is crap or even the worst in the franchice. Actually it probably is the worst as an Expendable film but the best as a normal action film. If that makes sense :) .

First of all i thought it was the only one that had a normal plot. Yes it was as predictable as you can get and it set some things up and went nowhere with them (like how badass Gibson is but we never see much proof of that). But it resembled a real plot. I honestly cannot remember what were the actual plots of the first 2. So that's something. It also had a good pace and never bored me. The first 2 had enough parts that just dragged. Plus i think they got the humor right this time. Not as serious and melodramatic as the first and not as jokey as the second. Not all of it works though but they tried.

That doesn't mean they didn't do some really questionable things here. I didn't much care about the rating but after watching the film i can honestly say that the pg13 decision was awful. The way they cut away from the shootings and the way they shake the camera to not show anything resembling blood is annoying and takes away the fun. The few fights they had were poorly shot also. The decision to bring some new members was bad and didn't add much to the franchice at all. They make zero impression. The middle part were is just Stallone and the kids is easily the worst part. And i agree with the others that Stallone needs to realise that this isn't a franchice just about him. The fight with Gibson lasts 30 seconds. And come on some Expendables must die at some point. I could easily go on about its problems since unfortunately it's pretty easy to find in this film but it's doesn't matter much to me since it was pretty entertaining and fun.

Gibson was good as a villain but his character went nowhere and he was kinda wasted. Not as much as Van Damme thankfuly. Ford and Arnold looked like they had lots of fun and Snipes was great too. Unfortunately he kinda disappears during the last sequence too. Li has just a cameo and is wasted too. Banderas on the other hand is a scene-stealer even if he got a bit annoying at first.

Anyway it has a bunch of flaws but it's still exciting and fun. I feel about all The Expendables film about the same but i'm still giving the edge to the second one. If they somehow continue this franchice they need to change a lot of things first.

• Like 1

You know, our relationship here started off rocky a couple of years ago, but in the last year we agree on a lot of things.  That's an excellent post and it's articulated beautifully.  Thanks for taking the time to write it.

Indeed. Thanks. You had a good post in here too. Now we see what happens with Rambo 5. It will either be really bad, or by a miracle, really good. I don't see any grey areas with Rambo 5.

• Like 1