Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Mike Ryan, freelance critic:

More than any other movie that's coming out anytime soon, people ask me, "What did you think of Gravity?" This is an utterly reasonable question considering what I do for a living. Unfortunately, I never have a better answer than, "It's awesome." (Once, after a third pint of what I'm sure was a domestic light beer, I answered that question by saying "It's bitchin'" -- which is remarkable because that might be the first time I've ever used that word in an adult conversation that didn't involve The Dead Milkmen.)

:lol:

God, every time I hear its 90 minutes I get tingly all over. We need more of that.

My gf asked me how long it was, I said 90 minutes, she said "that's all? that's not alot". Haha I was like "not everything needs to be 2 and a half hours. Nothing needs to be 2 and a half hours". (its what people are used to now). At first I felt like 90 minutes was too short for Gravity, I guess I wanted as much footage as I could get, but once I thought about it I realized 90 minutes is perfect. Those 90 minute movies...we need more of those.

Edited by Twerkdrew

One aspect of the short running time -- along with the incredibly immersive visuals -- is that you have a hard time pegging how far through the movie you are at any given point. This makes all the complicating drama much more intense, because your internal movie clock isn't sure whether it's just an intermediate action or the final concluding piece.

• Like 3

I wouldn't go that far. It always depends on the movie. A lot of great movies that run for over 2 hours surely wouldn't be as great if you cut 30+ minutes out of them. To say nothing of films like The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

• Like 1

I wouldn't go that far. It always depends on the movie. A lot of great movies that run for over 2 hours surely wouldn't be as great if you cut 30+ minutes out of them. To say nothing of films like The Godfather and Lawrence of Arabia.

I obviously dont mean in all cases but on a structural level 90 minutes is often ideal.

Id say for childrens animation, musical, and horror - 90m

comedies, dramas, sci-fi, thriller, adventure - hour 45

adaptions (book, comic, life event, etc.) - 2 hours

or more complex the narrative, the longer. A movie like TDK needs to be long, its an adaption and it has a complex story, but 2 1/2 hours is little of a stretch. Same with Avatar, IM3, TA etc. I havent seen Prisoners, Les Mis, etc so I cant say if it justifies or not for those. Of course this isn't exact, such an ideal length for me. Judd Apatow needs to take note.

Edited by Twerkdrew

I see this opening anywhere between 15-50M opening weekend. Personally I am seeing a 30M opening weekend.

As for a finishing total I think this will get a solid finish. Will this be a Cloud Atlas? or will this be a Life of Pi? I am feeling the former. I have this bad feeling this will open big but then crash because of GA disappointment. 

Final Prediction: 32M/83M

There's nothing wrong with movies over 2 hours or those close to 3 hours. Different stories have different requirements. There are many movies that could not exist or would flat-out suck with a 90-min running time. Gravity is not one of them. 

• Like 1

I see this opening anywhere between 15-50M opening weekend. Personally I am seeing a 30M opening weekend.

As for a finishing total I think this will get a solid finish. Will this be a Cloud Atlas? or will this be a Life of Pi? I am feeling the former. I have this bad feeling this will open big but then crash because of GA disappointment. 

Final Prediction: 32M/83M

Trust me, it's not going to be anywhere near CA. Disappointment?