Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

Noted best-selling science-fiction author David Brin (The Postman, among others), who really knows his physics (B.S. Astrophysics, CalTech; M.S. Applied Physics & PhD space science, UCSD) has seen GRAVITY and written up some thoughts about. Overall he's very positive (with of course some technical quibbles):

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2013/10/gravity-high-praise-plus-few-quibbles.html

• Like 2

Noted best-selling science-fiction author David Brin (The Postman, among others), who really knows his physics (B.S. Astrophysics, CalTech; M.S. Applied Physics & PhD space science, UCSD) has seen GRAVITY and written up some thoughts about. Overall he's very positive (with of course some technical quibbles):

http://davidbrin.blogspot.com/2013/10/gravity-high-praise-plus-few-quibbles.html

This is the only one I caught in the theater:

Still, they would not see clouds of approaching supersonic debris. Again, poetic license, but if it's slow enough to identify stuff, then it is too slow to smash a space shuttle to bits. (Still, Clooney's astronaut's crisis mode descriptive monologue is exactly what a test pilot or "right stuff" astronaut is supposed to do.  Well-portrayed.)

I was wondering how she could see a bunch of space debri shit flying at her at 22,000 mph lol.  Doesn't really matter though.

Just learned that there will be no Imax copy and projection for Gravity at all in France because of last Jeunet movie The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, that had secured the slot in October well before Warner. As a matter of fact, Imax theater owners (5 Imax theaters in the whole country) don't feel like putting Gravity in their theaters. What the fuck is wrong in this frickin' country!!!? :blink::(

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Five IMAXes in all of France?! There's like 15-20 in LA alone...

Yeah, that sucks.

And that's even worse, there's no native 70 mm Imax film projected anymore since Avatar in 2009, that's shitty Digital Imax downgraded to 2K with poor luminosity (to cut electricity costs they say...)...The change in technology did impact quality and resolution so the experience has suffered a severe loss. Some people said that they saw so-called Imax 3D projections that were blurry and full of artefacts like a DivX projected on a giant screen. :unsure:

Edited by dashrendar44

Five IMAXes in all of France?! There's like 15-20 in LA alone...

Digital I max is shit.

2k projectors on giant screens ? Gimme a break.

I saw Avatar in 70mm I Max and it was almost a religious experience.

I could almost feel and touch Pandora.

• Like 1

Digital I max is shit.

2k projectors on giant screens ? Gimme a break.

I saw Avatar in 70mm I Max and it was almost a religious experience.

I could almost feel and touch Pandora.

You know I envy so much, man. Everyone that saw Avatar that way at Disney Village were singing Hallelujah about it like an Once-in-a-lifetime experience. You don't know how much I regret not taking a trip there.

Edited by dashrendar44

You know I envy so much, man. Everyone that saw Avatar that way at Disney Village were singing Hallelujah about it like an Once-in-a-lifetime experience. You don't know how much I regret not taking a trip there.

I went twice.

And yes it was magical !

I realized how crazy Cameron is because each frame of Avatar is so full of detail.

Saw Tintin ( with 2k projectors) there and was totally underwhelmed.

• Like 1

Some people said that they saw so-called Imax 3D projections that were blurry and full of artefacts like a DivX projected on a giant screen. :unsure:

Sounds like something was very screwed up. There's no way it should look that shitty, 2K or no. (And 2K isn't really that bad, honestly, unless the screen is really really huge).

Just learned that there will be no Imax copy and projection for Gravity at all in France because of last Jeunet movie The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet, that had secured the slot in October well before Warner. As a matter of fact, Imax theater owners (5 Imax theaters in the whole country) don't feel like putting Gravity in their theaters. What the fuck is wrong in this frickin' country!!!? :blink::(

I have a feeling  a French revolution is about to happen. 

Edited by Dexter of Suburbia
  • Like 2