Neo

Gravity | Re-released on 2D and 3D January 17 | IMAX 3D on January 31! | 100M+ WW IMAX

I'm mad that Del Toro and Cuaron decided to make the films that they did this year, that's all. Cuaron also really stretched out the production of Gravity, and really took his sweet ass time on it, for a film that's not really ambitious or really that radical.

How do you know that? Even from just a technical perspective, it sounds fairly challenging and unique.
  • Like 3

It's a free country, they can make whatever films they want.

Astute observation there. Seriously though, he asked why, and I answered. We all have an opinion.

How do you know that? Even from just a technical perspective, it sounds fairly challenging and unique.

Perhaps, perhaps not. A film shot in 3D, using virtual cameras in impossible perspectives has been done before. Cameron pioneered that. Cuaron in fact asked Cameron for advice on this.

Get a better imagination and then come back with a better response. 

Tell me where do you have seen that kind of scenes in a movie before in 3D/Imax? Then go back trying harder with a better response.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1

Tell me where do you have seen that kind of scenes in a movie before in 3D/Imax? Then go back trying harder with a better response.

In terms of technical perspective, I saw the exact same type of scenes in Avatar. No, it wasn't Sandra Bullock spinning in CGI in space for god knows how long, but it was the same concept.

Edited by ACCA

A 20 minutes tracking shot in space in Avatar using perfcap and virtual camera? Where? :lol:

Cuaron is pushing the limits technically and it has never been done before on that level.

Please. Just because it's a tracking shot doesn't mean "it's never been done before". That's the whole point of virtual cameras, they're supposed to allow you to easily do such "impossible" shots like that.

How about the 3D rig, virtual cameras, and performance capture using virtual cameras that Cameron pioneered?

Edited by ACCA

This movie is going to bomb!!!  Who would want to watch a movie with a person floating in space for 90 minutes?

A movie about a guy stranded on a deserted island with only a volley ball to talk to made $233m.  Not only that, but you knew how that one ended because they gave it away in the fucking trailer!

This movie looks incredibly tense, exciting AND we have no idea how it will end?  GIVE IT TO ME NOW!!!

• Like 7

Please. Just because it's a tracking shot doesn't mean "it's never been done before". That's the whole point of virtual cameras, they're supposed to allow you to easily do such "impossible" shots like that.

How about the 3D rig, virtual cameras, and performance capture using virtual cameras that Cameron pioneered?

What does that have to do with Gravity? 

There was no performance capture or 3D rigs involved in Gravity, so I don't see what you're getting at.

Edited by Omega Shrinkage

What does that have to do with Gravity? 

There was no performance capture or 3D rigs involved in Gravity, so I don't see what you're getting at.

What I'm getting at is that what Cuaron is doing with Gravity is not technically new nor really that unique or groundbreaking. He's using techniques and tools pioneered by Cameron, to the point that he got "stuck" during Gravity production, didn't know how to progress further, and called Cameron to help him.

Tell me where do you have seen that impossible shot before?

You still can't answer this simple question two times already. Please. Stop denying the obvious.

Kubrick didn't invent cameras, film, backing-projection and surimpression so 2001 is not groundbreaking and innovative? Please, bis.

Cuaron like many other artists before, takes existing tools and pushes the boundaries to new heights and limits crafting something that has never been seen before at that level. Cameron did the same with WETA's technology and advancements wtih LOTR's Gollum, King Kong (perf-cap) and Zemeckis experimentations (virtual camera) as a basis to build Avatar's technological pipeline, nothing is created out of a vacuum.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 2

Well I respect the fact of Cuaron trying something different, I'm just not into the idea. The whole concept is not something I want to watch a 2 hour film about. Maybe a short film perhaps, but not a full length film.

This movie is going to surprise a lot of people with it BO.

Possibly in a bad way yes.