filmscholar

Weekend Numbers (pg119) Turtles 65M, GOTG 41.5

The last TMNT (2007) only had an 8.5% bump on Saturday in March, with no previews/midnights. I doubt this version is more family friendly than the animated version.

Could play out something like this

18.4 (-20%)

13.8 (-25%)

The 2007 version was before the highly successful show kicked off on Nick and introduced the Turtles to a new generation of children. The demand this time around would be higher compared to then, and Saturday matinees have also become a big force in recent years. It will be interesting to see how it performs tomorrow for sure.

• Like 2

So far just an untitled DC film and an untitled Smurfs movie.

Pretty much nothing else is scheduled on that month right now.

Why the hell is there a Smurfs 3 after 2 basically flopped almost everywhere? Sony must love losing money.

• Like 4

GOTG is already an enormous success, regardless of what it makes this weekend.  I'm just happy to see that many of the people who predicted impossible numbers like a sub 50% drop are now getting ready to eat some delicious crow.

• Like 10

Why the hell is there a Smurfs 3 after 2 basically flopped almost everywhere? Sony must love losing money.

No idea. Its apparently supposed to be an animated reboot or something.

Sony must be desperate to salvage the franchise. Not surprising considering how much money they've lost recently.

GOTG is already an enormous success, regardless of what it makes this weekend.  I'm just happy to see that many of the people who predicted impossible numbers like a sub 50% drop are now getting ready to eat some delicious crow.

I really liked GOTG and even I knew a sub 50% drop was crazy talk.

No. 2016.

Are we sure 2 years is enough time to write another great script with fart jokes, Mikey creepin on April, the great dialogue, etc...plus they need time for those sfx and rendering Splinter using a Playstation ain't easy! Better make it 2017 to be safe.
  • Like 1

I might be wrong, but they're doing it animated this time, so probably very cheap animation, small budget. Another drop to 200WW would be fineEither way, TMNT 2 would do fine in August. Unless of course, that DC film is Justice League just so WB can take away Guardians' OW record. August 12 or 19 for TMNT2 will work

You have no idea. The very thought that a 20% on RT movie could beat a 92% on RT movie is causing meltdowns and flame wars on Comicbookmovie and even in the comments of Deadline and Variety etc. This has to be my favorite comment from all of them

Alright, Marvel fans and movie fans in America. Let’s get Guardians of the Galaxy to stay at #1 for its 2nd weekend and beat TMNT to pass $180 million domestically by Sunday with a weekend gross of $45.6 million dollars ($19 million today, $17 million tomorrow, and $9.6 million on Sunday) at #1 while TMNT settles in 2nd with $43.5 million ($18.5 million today, $15.5 million tomorrow, and $9.5 on Sunday). So, CMON GUYS. LET’S DO IT. AND, QUICKLY BEFORE IT’S TOO LATE. PLEASE, please don’t let a great Marvel movie lose to another Michael Bay crap movie just because of the explosions in the movie. Okay, thanks. ;)

To all the people who are with me, keep helping and supporting.And, to all the criticizers and haters of my posts, keep hating cuz my posts are gonna keep coming til you listen to me. And, to reply back to your harsh comments on my comments, what you call “spamming”, I call supporting Guardians of the Galaxy. Besides, Guardians on Thursday made $3 million more than TMNT’s Thursday night shows.

I still think GOTG will top TMNT, but by a narrow victory/escape. Heres how I think it’ll work:

1) GOTG- $13M, $21M, $12M- $46M2) TMNT- $21M, $16M, $8M- $45M

• Like 10

GOTG is already an enormous success, regardless of what it makes this weekend. I'm just happy to see that many of the people who predicted impossible numbers like a sub 50% drop are now getting ready to eat some delicious crow.

In the summer of no legs and shit dom totals, did anyone really think that??
  • Like 1

Are we sure 2 years is enough time to write another great script with fart jokes, Mikey creepin on April, the great dialogue, etc...plus they need time for those sfx and rendering Splinter using a Playstation ain't easy! Better make it 2017 to be safe.

Michael Bay can't wait any longer.

I'm also happy that Platinum Dunes has a monster hit on their hands.  Hopefully this means they can sink some money into a good Friday the 13th sequel.

• Like 1