iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

Fantastic Mr. Fox is a curious case, I remember seeing it a few years back and not liking it because it wasn't as funny or easy on the eye as the more popular animations. Yeah, I was young, like many others when they saw it and probably never wanted to revisit it and let's face it, Wes Anderson is not for everybody. Anyway, if this was an awards forum or any other that is filled with snobbish adults, Fox would be in the top 5 at least, but this is a box office forum, and most of our (younger) members probably never even saw it or didn't like it.

Remember, this IS a popularity contest, and the movies that are easily accessible will top the list. Just be happy that the independent movies you like even made it :)

True. And I never bought the argument that universal appeal = inferior. 

• Like 2

Yep. Some of my top favorite movies were made by Pixar and Disney, and those are about as universal appealing as it gets as far as animation goes.

Exactly. They are huge because they break barriers of all kinds and bring diverse people from every part of the world together, proving that yes, all of us (or the overwhelming majority of us anyway) can connect, feel and relate in an incredibly similar way, if not the exact same way. That reassuring thought has always been magical throughout eons, and validates that life is worth living.

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

True. And I never bought the argument that universal appeal = inferior. 

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm not some hipster who dislikes everything everyone else likes.

I'm saying that because a film is popular, doesn't mean it's better than a film that isn't popular. Not that popularity = inferior, but popularity does not equal masterpiece.

Exactly. They are huge because they break barriers of all kinds and bring diverse people from every part of the world together, proving that yes, all of us (or the overwhelming majority of us anyway) can connect, feel and relate in an incredibly similar way, if not the exact same way. That reassuring thought has always been magical throughout eons, and validates that life is worth living.

Disney is often criticized for being Disney (you as in completely changing the source material to make the films more "happy"), I think part of there universal appeal and why most of there classics have transcended time has to do with the timelessness and feeling of them. Happiness and reminder of good time is also a major factor.

Besides despite Disney's joyfulness there's a lot of dark themes running around there films as well. Disney doesn't shy away from gruesome villain deaths either.

Pixar is in a similar case, but works with "original" material.

Both companies rarely talk down to their audience as well, which is always a plus for me.

Edited by Pokearcher
  • Like 3

That's not really what I'm saying. I'm not some hipster who dislikes everything everyone else likes.

I'm saying that because a film is popular, doesn't mean it's better than a film that isn't popular. Not that popularity = inferior, but popularity does not equal masterpiece.

Yup, but many a times popularity is indeed awesome, and that is a glorious win for all! :)

#35: Bambi (1942) - 382 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The story of a young deer growing up in the forest after his mother is shot by hunters

Iceroll's list trivia:
Bambi received the lowest average score out of all the 1940s Disney films that made the Top 100. Conversely, it also received the most votes.

IMDB trivia:

"Man is in the forest" was a code phrase used by Disney's employees when Walt Disney was coming down the hallway.

BOF User Review
This movie is so sad. I kind of forget how it ended, but I remember there being a huge fire. Overall I remember liking it despite it being depressing at times. B+
-k1stpierre, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 15

#34: Tarzan (1998) - 391 Points

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A man raised by gorillas must decide where he really belongs when he discovers he is a human.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Tarzan ranks 5th out of 10 for 1990s Disney animated films. Right in the middle, ahead of Rescuers Down Under, Fantasia 2000, Pocahontas, and Hunchback of Notre Dame.

IMDB trivia:

A teapot and set of teacups in the explorers' camp bears a sharp resemblance to Mrs. Potts and her teacup children from Beauty and the Beast (1991). When Tantor sees them, he is scared that they may come to life. Terk responds "Pull yourself together. You're embarrassing me. These things aren't alive." In Beauty and the Beast (1991), of course, they are.

BOF User Review
The second best Disney animated film of the ninties, Tarzan had great musical numbers, great characters, and a great plot. Also, the film had many heartwarming moments. A Disney classic. 
-Captain Jack Sparrow, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 16

#33: The Jungle Book (1967) - 398 Points

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Bagheera the Panther and Baloo the Bear have a difficult time trying to convince a boy to leave the jungle for human civilization.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Jungle Book is the highest ranking 1960s Disney animated film. It also has the highest average score in that category.

IMDB trivia:

The last film personally overseen by Walt Disney.

BOF Blurb:

chasmmi:

To me, it’s just the greatest animation of all time. Sure it may not be the prettiest artwork out there and the story is paper thin, but it is just so fun. There is something infinitely rewatchable about The Jungle Book and of course it has the greatest soundtrack Disney ever did. Sure the Renaissance films and Frozen have song great songs in their own right, but nothing to me shouts classic and immortal Disney more than Bear Necessities and I wanna be like you.

BOF User Review
I like to call this "Disney's Finest Hour" Really, Disney's final animated film has always been my favorite. Great songs, funny film, great voice acting. It all comes to this legend of a film. The Jungle Book, one of the greatest animated films in history.

A++

As you can tell I'm a bit of a fan of this film.  
-Impact, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 15

#32: South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut (1999) - 412 Points

Country of origin: USA

Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
When the four boys see an R-rated movie featuring Canadians Terrance & Phillip, they are pronounced "corrupted", and their parents pressure the United States to wage war against Canada.

Iceroll's list trivia:
South Park: Bigger, Longer, and Uncut is the highest ranking film based on a popular TV show. It ranks 32 spots ahead of The Simpsons Movie.

IMDB trivia:

In Guinness World Records 2001, this film was said to have the most profanity used in an animated film. The book cited a total of 399 swear words, including 146 uses of the word "fuck", along with 199 offensive gestures and 221 acts of violence.

BOF User Review
This film is pure comedy genius. I may be on my own here, but i think Matt Stone and Trey Parker are some of the smartest people in hollywood. Nearly every South Park epsiode tocuhes on offensive issues which has sometimes stirred up a lot of hate with do-gooders around the world, but what people fail to see is no matter how offensive or politically incorrect these epsiodes go, more often than not, they always end with a positive meaningful message which allows them to get away with almost anything. I usually find more meaning in certain 20 minute south park episodes than i would in a 2 hour plus box office smash.

Anyways back to the film. I think this film is funny as hell. I grew up loving this movie so i have no choice but to give this film a solid B+ 
-jessie, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15