iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#47: Sleeping Beauty (1959) - 288 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studio)
Animation style: 2D Animation
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
After being snubbed by the royal family, a malevolent fairy places a curse on a princess which only a prince can break, along with the help of three good fairies.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Sleeping Beauty is the second highest ranked 1950s Disney Animated film. I wonder if Maleficent being released and causing people to revisit Sleeping Beauty has helped its ranking  :huh:

IMDB trivia:
Princess Aurora's long, thin, willowy body shape was inspired by that of Audrey Hepburn.

BOF User Review:
One of the best of the year.

Beautifully made. Great villain. Disney at its best

A
-Omario, 2014
Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 12

Up is a great film, one of my favorite Pixar movies. There's so much more to enjoy rather than the first 12 minutes.

Up is an excellent movie. Its got so much adventurous spirit and emotion.

One of Pixar's finest.

Edited by Pokearcher

#46: Peter Pan (1953) - 297 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studio)
Animation style: 2D Animation
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Wendy and her brothers are whisked away to the magical world of Neverland with the hero of their stories, Peter Pan.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Peter Pan, the highest ranking 1950s Disney animated film ranks right above the second highest, Sleeping Beauty. Only 9 points separates these two.

IMDB trivia:
In the originally planned version, Nana traveled with the children to Neverland. It also had a much darker ending.

BOF Blurb:
Spaghetti:

In my second favorite pre-Renaissance Disney film (the first being Alice in Wonderland), the film is utterly bursting with a sense of fun and childhood joy. Disney brings the world of Neverland to life with exciting characters, lush environments, and a great sense of visual and musical charm to create a world any child would love to go to. Captain Hook makes for one of Disney's funniest villains, while Peter Pan is a character of his time in a good sense, perfectly capturing the spirit of fun and the hint of rebelliousness that encapsulates the character. It's impossible not to smile when you're watching this, except for that kind of racist interpretation of Native Americans. 

BOF User Review:
Of all the films made during Walt's life this is my favorite. Love this movie to death. A+ 
-DAR, 2013
Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 10

Honestly I never saw the Indians in Peter Pan as real racist. While definitely being what we perceived Indians to be back then, I thought the Indians were pretty sweet, not to mention they were useful in the film.

Plus What Makes The Red Man Red is a great song.

Edited by Pokearcher

#45: A Bug's Life (1998) - 302 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A misfit ant, looking for "warriors" to save his colony from greedy grasshoppers, recruits a group of bugs that turn out to be an inept circus troupe.

Iceroll's list trivia:
A Bug's Life is often compared to Antz, while Antz didn't do too poorly itself, it got whopped by A Bug's Life. Some stats:

Antz:
Score: 302
Average: 14.4 

A Bug's Life:
Score: 68
Average: 9.7
IMDB trivia:
The two mosquitoes trapped in the light of the bugzapper ("Frank, don't go towards the light!" "I can't help it - it's so beautiful!") are the voices of the co-directors, John Lasseter and Andrew Stanton.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Film Video Clip:

• Like 17

Sleeping Beauty is stunningly beautiful with an all time great villain, the best hero's horse and of course the all time best soundtrack to any animated film. Tchaikovsky. Sigh.

They got Tchaikovski to do the soundtrack of a Disney film ?

Walt was a very powerful man back in its time.

:P

Iceroll's list trivia:

Sleeping Beauty is the second highest ranked 1950s Disney Animated film. I wonder if Maleficent being released and causing people to revisit Sleeping Beauty has helped its ranking  :huh:

You know, the funny thing about Sleeping Beauty is that most people wrongly remember it being as one of the most sexist Disney Princess movies because the princess here is the least active. I was one of those people before I recently rewatched the movie in anticipation for Maleficent. And surprisingly, I realized it actually is one of the more feminist-leaning Disney movies. Only, it's not the princess who is empowered, but these kick-ass ladies:

Posted Image

Another reason to hate stupid Maleficent for its terrible depiction of these heroines.

• Like 6