iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

So let me get this straight. Brother Bear beat Ghost in the Shell, Yellow Submarine, the collective filmographies of Mamoru Hosoda, Satoshi Kon and very nearly Don Bluth and several Miyazaki classics? Brother fucking Bear?!God, I am going to hate this list aren't I?

Brother Bear is a really good movie.Also I'm happy to see Happy Feet. I don't think I had that on my list, so I'll add that to my list of things I left off my list but shouldn't have:The Road to El DoradoBrother BearHappy Feet Edited by Ethan Hunt

I'm really hoping Frozen manages to land where it deserves: somewhere around the 25-35 mark.

I am hoping that neither the lovers nor the haters have managed to skew its final place too much.

If I remember right Frozen was #36 on my list of 50.

• Like 1

#89: Enchanted (2007) - 125 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Pictures)
Animation style: Live Action/Animated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A classic Disney fairytale collides with modern-day New York City in a story about a fairytale princess who is sent to our world by an evil queen. Soon after her arrival, Princess Giselle begins to change her views on life and love after meeting a handsome lawyer. Can a storybook view of romance survive in the real world?

Iceroll's list trivia:
Enchanted is the first hybrid live action/animated film to make this list. Other hybrids include Space Jam at #127, Looney Tunes: Back in Action at #196, and another film that has yet to be revealed ;)

IMDB trivia:
A number of non-singers make their singing debuts in this film, including Patrick Dempsey. The only main character who does not sing is Nancy, played by actress Idina Menzel - who has two Tony award nominations and one win for Broadway musical singing roles.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 11

#88: Puss in Boots (2011) - 126 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The events leading up to the sword fighting cat's meeting with Shrek and his friends.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Puss in Boots is the first Dreamworks Animation film to make the list.  There are a total of 11 Dreamworks films on this list.

IMDB trivia:
Though it broke the box office record of the highest-grossing Halloween weekend gross of all time (previously held by Saw III (2006)), its debut was the worst for a Dreamworks Animation film since Flushed Away (2006). However, its second weekend gross gave it the record for the smallest non-holiday second weekend drop for a film in a saturated release of 2500 theaters or more.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 15

#87: Anastasia (1997) - 129 Points

Country of origin: USA (Fox Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
The last surviving child of the Russian Royal Family hooks up with two con men to reunite with her grandmother, the Dowager Empress, while the undead Rasputin seeks her death.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Anastasia is the second highest ranking Don Bluth film on the Top 100. Four of his films made are on this list (as well as several that ranked below 100)

IMDB trivia:
The real Anastasia once wore a dress almost exactly like the one Anya wears in the last scenes of the movie. This same dress was seen in Anastasia (1956).

BOF Blurb:
Spidey Freak:

Don Bluth's best, in my opinion and it was through Anastasia that I learned about the Romanov tragedy. Though the villain is weak (and really, I don't see why poor Rasputin keeps getting vilified time and again, when in real life, there was nothing to show he was rotten at all), the leads Anastasia and Dimitry are very likable, whose dynamics feel like an inspiration for Tangled's Rapunzel and Flynn Rider. The animation is very pretty, with one incredibly eerie sequence in particular (Anastasia's hallucination about her family asking her to "join them" by jumping off a ship into the stormy sea below), and one hauntingly beautiful one (the visualization of the song "Once Upon A December").
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15

#86: Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993) - 131 Points

Country of origin: USA (Warner Bros. Animation)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Batman is wrongly implicated in a series of murders of mob bosses actually done by a new vigilante assassin.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Guess you were Spidey Freak, a DC animated film did make it to the list!

IMDB trivia:
Most of the movie is based on the graphic novels "Batman: Year One" and "Batman: Year Two". The flashback to Batman's first night of crime-fighting, donning a jacket and ski-hat is parallel to book one of "Year One". The design and concept of the Phantasm was derived from the Reaper, the primary villain of "Year Two".

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 13

#85: The Polar Express (2004) - 133 Points

Country of origin: USA
Animation style: 3D Motion Capture
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
On Christmas Eve, a doubting boy boards a magical train that's headed to the North Pole and Santa Claus' home.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Polar Express is the first motion capture film on the list. There is quite a lot of variety in animation style in this list, such as: 2D traditional, mo-cap, 3D computer generated, stop-motion, anime etc.

IMDB trivia:
The real name of the Hero Boy is never mentioned.

BOF User Review:
Finally saw it with my niece.  I think I liked it more than she did.  Hanks is great in this and the animation is quite awesome.  I like the story and the lessons all the kids learn, it's just a really nice Christmas movie.

8.5/10
-baumer 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 10