iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#66: Kiki's Delivery Service (1989) - 184 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Animation style: 2D Anime
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A young witch, on her mandatory year of independent life, finds fitting into a new community difficult while she supports herself by running an air courier service.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Kiki's Delivery Service has the highest average of all the Miyazaki films revealed so far, with 16.7. Ponyo averaged 13.3, and Castle in the Sky averaged 16.0

IMDB trivia:
The story takes place in an alternative 1950's Europe where WWI and WWII never happened. Hayao Miyazaki has been quoted saying that the fictional city of Kokiro has one side on the shores of the Mediterranean, and the other on the Baltic Sea.

BOF User Review:
This movie is like a big hug. Lovely, absolutely lovely.

5/5 
-Jack Nevada, 2013
(That seems too saccharine for Jack actually  :ph34r:)
Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 15

#65: Akira (1988) - 196 Points

Country of origin: Japan
Animation style: 2D Anime
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A secret military project endangers Neo-Tokyo when it turns a biker gang member into a rampaging psionic psychopath that only two kids and a group of psionics can stop.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Akira has the third highest average score in the list so far, with 24.5 Barring the two films that only received 3 votes each (Transformers: The Movie and Redline), it's actually the highest so far.

IMDB trivia:
The movie consists of 2,212 shots and 160,000 single pictures, 2-3 times more than usual, using 327 different colors (another record in animation film), 50 of which were exclusively created for the film. The reason for this statistic is that most of the movie takes place at night, a setting that is traditionally avoided by animators because of the increased color requirements.

BOF User Review:
Hmm this is the only animated movie that transported me to its setting with the atmosphere and everything ... even Mononoke which I loved more couldn't do it on the same level as this 

add a mindfuckish story and its 

9/10 
-Crusader, 2013
Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 13

I hope that this list will help people discover new movies that other forum members regard highly :) I've never even heard of some of the movies on the list, but they definitely seem intriguing. Akira and some Don Bluth films are going to be on my movie playlist sometime soon :P

And with that I'll call it a night and continue tomorrow.

• Like 8

Argh.  So many movies I forgot to list, though it occurs to me that I need to go back and re-check my list to see exactly which ones I did in fact forget and which I merely forgot I listed.

A little sad Triplets of Bellvelle didn't rank higher, but what are you gonna do?

Iceroll, did you make sure to roll the 12 points for "Belleville Rendez Vous" into Triplets' score? It's the same movie.

Ah shit you're right, that would have put it in 86th place instead, 6 spots higher. Damn I made sure to catch typos (and there were a lot of them) but this Belleville thing escaped me. Haha well, I'll edit a little disclaimer thing for it then. 

I can live with robin Hood coming 70th, its far lower than my personal opinion but it won the 70's at least.

(Am also delighted that Jungle Book hasn't shown up yet but I have a sinking feeling it will appear very very soon :(

Random hopes for some future positions (not the 'Big Names'): 

- Hoping to see Hunchback cause an upset and gatecrash the top 20 or 30.

- Hoping Mulan can cause a major surprise and beat Frozen

- Hoping Kung Fu Panda (especially number 2) can suprise and make the top 20 at least

- Hoping South Park wins best non-Disney/Pixar/Shrek/Spirited Away

- Hoping Toy Story/Nemo doesn't win Pixar

I really wish I could see what others do in finding Nemo. It wasn't a bad film by all means but it was painfully average to watch in my opinion.

(In no particular order) Ratatouile, Incredibles, Up, Wall E, The Toy Stories, Monsters Inc and Brave were all better in my opinion.

• Like 2

Toy Story won't win Pixar because Toy Story 3 will. :P

Please no, out of all of Pixar's good movies Toy Story 3 is by far their most overpraised.  I still really like it, but the nostalgic ending is pretty much the only thing people ever talk about when mentioning Toy Story 3.

I already know it'll be the Incredibles that'll win Pixar and I am fine with that, I love that movie, I wish it would be Nemo though.

• Like 4

I really wish I could see what others do in finding Nemo. It wasn't a bad film by all means but it was painfully average to watch in my opinion. (In no particular order) Ratatouile, Incredibles, Up, Wall E, The Toy Stories, Monsters Inc and Brave were all better in my opinion.

Well Nemo is my favorite animation. As far as emotional moments go it has them throughout the film and there extremely effective. The characters are great (especially Dory.) It's hilarious. The film just gets to me emotionally.
  • Like 1