iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#84: Over the Hedge (2006) - 133 Points
Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:

A scheming raccoon fools a mismatched family of forest creatures into helping him repay a debt of food, by invading the new suburban sprawl that popped up while they were hibernating...and learns a lesson about family himself.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Over the Hedge ties The Polar Express in points, and both movies have one of the lowest average scores on the list, with 13.3 and 12.1, respectively.

IMDB trivia:
The art department went to a bowling alley to sketch the design of the 'perfect' vending machine. They went to various supermarkets to sketch chip bags and bottles. They eventually got kicked out of a Safeway because the manager felt uncomfortable with them being there for such an extended amount of time.

BOF User Review:

One of my favorite films based on one of my favorite comics, this had great humor and a great cast (Bruce Willis).
5/5 

-Captain Jack Sparrow 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 9

#83: The Adventures of Tintin (2011) - 135 Points

Country of origin: USA (Amblin Entertainment)
Animation style: 3D Motion Capture
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Intrepid reporter Tintin and Captain Haddock set off on a treasure hunt for a sunken ship commanded by Haddock's ancestor.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Adventures of Tintin was selected by 10 people to be on their list, with an average score of 13.5.

IMDB trivia:
Steven Spielberg has been an avid fan of 'The Adventures of Tintin' comic books since 1981, when a review compared Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) to Tintin. His secretary bought him French-language editions of each book, but Spielberg did not have to understand them: he immediately fell in love with its art. Meanwhile, 'Tintin' creator Hergé became a fan of Spielberg (reports say he "thought Spielberg was the only person who could ever do Tintin justice.")

BOF User Review:
I love how Speilberg packs so much into every shot. There's one moment- I think it was in Monaco, which was jaw-dropping- where four things were going on at once. 

It could have benefited from some more Tintin and Sakharine character development, but this is a boatload of fun that looks gorgeous and captures the tone of the original comics. Andy Serkis is the heart of the movie- he's the only one given a character arc, and it works splendidly. They probably should have gone the Beginners route with Snowy and given the dog subtitles, because his role is diminished on film, but he still had some stuff to do. 

B+

I want that sequel that the ending promised. It's looking at 325m or so worldwide, so maybe we'll get one. 
-Gopher 2011

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 12

#82: Mary Poppins (1964) - 135 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Productions)
Animation style: Live Action/Animation
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A magic nanny comes to work for a cold banker's unhappy family.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Mary Poppins is the oldest live action/animation hybrid film on the list, although there are several other films older than it.

IMDB trivia:
Many of the nannies in the large queue of applicants for the job at the start of the film were actually men in drag.

BOF User Review:
It seemed like this was the film where Walt Disney took everything he learned about filmmaking and applied it here and like Mary Poppins the film is practically perfect in every way. And let's start with Mary herself played by Julie Andrews who looks great and just nails the role. Dick Van Dyke's accent is pretty atrocious, but he still is fun. The kids Jane and Michael do a terrific job. And let's not forget the underrated and wonderful David Tomlinson a staple of Disney films in the 60's and 70's as Mr. Banks. Of course no mention of the film can be mentioned without the great Sherman Brothers songs. From Spoonful of Sugar to Supercalifraglisticexpealidocious to Chim Chim Cheree to Feed the Birds which was said to be Walt's favorite song. Love this movie. A+  
-DAR 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 10

#81: The Rescuers (1977) - 139 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Productions)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Two mice of the Rescue Aid Society search for a little girl kidnapped by unscrupulous treasure hunters.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Rescuers would have been one of very few franchises to get all its entries in the Top 100, if The Rescuers Down Under had placed a few ranks higher. As you may recall, The Rescuers Down Under placed #103, although it actually received one more vote than The Rescuers.

IMDB trivia:
The VHS version of the film was recalled by Disney in 1999 due to an inserted image of a topless woman, which appears about 38 minutes into the movie, as Bernard and Bianca fly through the city.

BOF User Review:
From 1970-1988 it was the "Disney Dark Age" out of all the dark age films this is my favorite. It almost seems like after this one something bad happened and the next few animated films by Disney were not that good. (Robin Hood and Aristocats are other ones I love from the 70s)
Most 70s kids films were not that great-but there were not a lot (when ET came out it was considered a big wow as at that point most kids films were either too creepy or too cheesy)
Anyway this film is very well made and well crafted.
Back in 1990 I thought the sequel was better though :P
A
-Impact 2014

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 12

Enchanted and Mary Poppins shouldn't count, the majority of the films by far is live action!!!

So that's 2 wasted spots, meaning PORCO ROSSO SHOULD BE #100!!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 3

Enchanted and Mary Poppins shouldn't count, the majority of the films by far is live action!!!

So that's 2 wasted spots, meaning PORCO ROSSO SHOULD BE #100!!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

It was in the rules but though I love Mary Poppins I didn't vote for it for that reason - not nearly enough animation.  Roger Rabbit is the only hybrid I voted for since so much of it is animated.

Porco Rosso (which I still need to see) has good company out of the top 100 along with The Wind Rises & Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. :(

• Like 1

#80: Mary and Max (2009) - 144 Points

Country of origin: Australia
Animation style: Stop motion
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A tale of friendship between two unlikely pen pals: Mary, a lonely, eight-year-old girl living in the suburbs of Melbourne, and Max, a forty-four-year old, severely obese man living in New York.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Mary and Max is the first stop motion-film to make the Top 100.

IMDB trivia:
All of the water scenes were created with lubricant..

BOF User Review:
This is a really great human story, and the alternations between Mary and Max really work in creating rich characters who live far from ideal lives. There's a strong sense of personal tragedy and fear in this, yet the film manages to be simultaneously dark and full of life. Few directors can pull this off.
-Spaghetti 2014

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 9

#79: Cars (2006) - 146 Points

Country of origin: USA (Pixar)
Animation style: 3D Animation
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A hot-shot race-car named Lightning McQueen gets waylaid in Radiator Springs, where he finds the true meaning of friendship and family.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Cars is the first Pixar film to make the Top 100. There will definitely be more Pixar films in the upper echelons of this list.

IMDB trivia:
If you look closely at one of the racing cars, it's white, has the Apple logo, and the number is 84. 1984 was the year Apple released the Macintosh, the computer that revolutionized Apple as a company. Pixar was previously owned by Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 10