iceroll

BOF's Top 100 Animated Films of All Time Ceremony! TOP 10 COUNTDOWN TIME! (p.36)

#78: The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (1977) - 146 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Animation style: 2D Traditional
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
A collection of animated shorts based on the stories and characters by A. A. Milne.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh is the highest ranking film in the Winnie the Pooh universe. Other films that were listed include: Winnie the Pooh (2011) at #112, Piglett's Big Movie at #187, The Tigger Movie at #216, and Pooh's Heffalump Movie at #239. 

IMDB trivia:
Tigger's trademark "Hoo-hoo-hoo-hoo!" laugh by was ad-libbed by Paul Winchell as well as his famous "TTFN: Ta-Ta For Now!" line.

BOF User Review:
I've read some of AA Milne's Winnie The Pooh series (my dad has a lot of the books), and though this film isn't in the biggest of spirits in relation to the series, it still gets the tone down pretty good, the characters are great (Tigger was always my favorite), and the film doesn't have a real recurring plot (edited together short films will do that), but it has a nice tone and a nice feel. Definitely among my favorite animated films ever made.

9 / 10
-Pokearcher 2014

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 15

#77: Persepolis (2007) - 146 Points

Country of origin: France
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Poignant coming-of-age story of a precocious and outspoken young Iranian girl that begins during the Islamic Revolution.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Persepolis is the highest-ranking non-Japanese foreign language film on this list. Interestingly, all three films in the Top 100 that fall under that category were from France.

IMDB trivia:
Iran's government sent a letter to the French embassy in Tehran to protest against the movie and pressured the organizers of the 2007 Bangkok Film Festival to drop it from the lineup.

BOF User Review:
a beautifully animated trip through a girl's perspective on modern iran. totally hipster, which can be a good and bad thing. ultimately poignant and charming.

B (70)
-Lisa, 2013
Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 11

#76: Team America: World Police (2004) - 147 Points

Country of origin: USA
Animation style: Puppets
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Popular Broadway actor Gary Johnston is recruited by the elite counter-terrorism organization Team America: World Police. As the world begins to crumble around him, he must battle with terrorists, celebrities and falling in love.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Team America: World Police is the first...and only film on the list that was made using puppets. Not sure why so many people still voted for it but okay :P

IMDB trivia:
The very first footage screened for Paramount executives was of a poorly crafted puppet in front of a background of a badly drawn Eiffel Tower, prompting one executive in the audience to yell, "Oh God, they fucked us!" This was a prank pulled by the directors and the shot then pulls back to reveal a highly refined marionette manipulating the inferior one, then flies over beautifully detailed Parisian landscape full of believable yet cheesy marionettes. This actually ended up being the opening shot of the movie.

BOF blurb:
Spaghetti:

It's a completely hilarious fusion of the style of Thunderbirds with the humor of South Park, filling to the brim with sharp satire on contemporary political climates, but it's all with a surprising sense of endearment. The "Dicks, Pussies, and Assholes" speech is one of the best speeches in any animated film, simply for mixing hilarity with surprising honesty. If you think about it, it really does kind of make sense.
Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 10

#75: The Fox and the Hound (1981) - 147 Points

Country of origin: USA (Walt Disney Animation Studios)
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Two childhood friends find themselves forced to become enemies.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Fox and the Hound is one of only two Disney animated films from the 1980s to make the list. The 80s were a dark time for Disney.

IMDB trivia:
The last Disney animated feature to simply end with a "The End; Walt Disney Productions" credit, as with all previous Disney animated films after Alice in Wonderland (1951). (All of the credits were at the beginning.) The next Disney animated feature, The Black Cauldron (1985), was the first one with closing credits.

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 16

#74: Madagascar (2005) - 154 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
Spoiled by their upbringing with no idea what wild life is really like, four animals from New York Central Zoo escape, unwittingly assisted by four absconding penguins, and find themselves in Madagascar, among a bunch of merry lemurs.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Madagascar is the only film in its franchise to make the Top 100. Even though the critical reception improved with each film, Madagascar 2 ranked #132, and Madagascar 3 ranked #136. The general trend with this list is that sequels usually rank lower.

IMDB trivia:
When Alex and Marty find each other on the beach and Alex remembers that he is mad at Marty, Marty swears by assigning words to the letters of an acronym. They are "O"h "S"ugar "H"oney "I"ce "T"ea.

BOF User Review:
It takes time to get used to the voice casting. For the first movie and the first half of the second movie I thought that Chris Rock especially, had been horribly miscast. This first movie surely has a lot of issues, one of them being the slow pacing. It gets boring at some parts, but doesn't lack of some funny scenes. This is still the weakest of the series, though.
B-
-ChD, 2013

BOF Blurb:
Films:

The plot for this film is genius and there are so many hilarious moments such as Alex'a incidence with the old lady. The 4 lead characters are great and are boosted by the fantastic sidekicks such as the penguins and lemurs. The animation and script are both great
Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 10

Probably not 

It takes time to get used to the voice casting. For the first movie and the first half of the second movie I thought that Chris Rock especially, had been horribly miscast. This first movie surely has a lot of issues, one of them being the slow pacing. It gets boring at some parts, but doesn't lack of some funny scenes. This is still the weakest of the series, though.

Truly a quote just for the DVD box.

• Like 1

#73: The Croods (2013) - 155 Points

Country of origin: USA (Dreamworks Animation)
Animation style: 3D Computer Generated
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
After their cave is destroyed, a caveman family must trek through an unfamiliar fantastical world with the help of an inventive boy.

Iceroll's list trivia:
The Croods was released in the same year as Dreamworks flop Turbo, which ranked at #205.

IMDB trivia:
Pretty long, but interesting trivia about box office and actually Dreamworks Animation as a company.

Before the film's release, DreamWorks Animation was suffering from major disaster box office returns and generally mixed word of mouth reception for Rise of the Guardians (2012). While the film did gross more than its $145 million budget, it still did not turn a profit for DreamWorks due to its high production and marketing costs, forcing the studio to take an $83 million write-down. This marked the first time that the studio had lost money on an animated film since Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas (2003). As a result of this combined with other factors, in February 2013, the studio announced it was laying off 350 employees as part of a company-wide restructuring. If had The Croods (2013) bombed even worse than Guardians, the studio would lay off even more employees and might face the potential possibility of a bankruptcy. The Croods (2013) then opened on March 22, 2013 to glowing positive reviews and widely enthusiastic acclaim from audiences, eventually earning more than $186 million in the U.S. and over $583 million worldwide, earning its place to be sixth highest grossing film of the year (so far), besting Oz the Great and Powerful (2013), Pacific Rim (2013), Star Trek Into Darkness (2013), and World War Z (2013). It remarkably helped DreamWorks' earnings rise higher from $162.8 million to $213.4 million in the second quarter of 2013 - one of the best financial earnings ever received in the company's history.

BOF User Review:
It plays out more like a feature-length Universal Studios ride than as a compelling narrative, but I can't deny how terrifically crafted the individual setpieces are. The endearing characters and creatures help to make this a quite enjoyable experience despite the thinly written story. Yeah, I know he was a cliched "funny sidekick", but Belt was still the big highlight for me. I definitely can understand why this is doing pretty well at the box office.

B+
-tribefan695, 2013

Posted Image

Posted Image
  • Like 13

#72: Ponyo (2013) - 159 Points

Country of origin: Japan (Studio Ghibli)
Animation style: 2D Anime
Posted ImagePosted Image
Plot:
An animated adventure about a five-year-old boy and his relationship with a goldfish princess who longs to become a human.

Iceroll's list trivia:
Ponyo is the 7th highest ranking Studio Ghibli film on the list, care to guess the other six? :P

IMDB trivia:
Hayao Miyazaki drew most of the sea and wave imagery himself, experimenting with making it as expressionistic as possible. John Lasseter said that he had never seen water animated so beautifully before.

BOF User Review:
I like japanese animation movies and Ponyo has a lot of poetic elements lacking in American movies. 
-Rudolf, 2012

Posted Image

Posted Image
Edited by iceroll
  • Like 14

Why is Madagascar higher than Mary and Max and Persepolis.I mean I understand they aren't highly seen movies but that's putting mediocre Dreamworks fare over pieces of art.I have never heard of Team police though, looks interesting

• Like 1

Why is Madagascar higher than Mary and Max and Persepolis.I mean I understand they aren't highly seen movies but that's putting mediocre Dreamworks fare over pieces of art.I have never heard of Team police though, looks interesting

Eh, just because it's Dreamworks doesn't mean it's bad though.  I actually really like them as a studio, they can balance humor, story, characters, and design pretty well. They always manage to nail the visuals though.

Plus, the recency, brand recognition, better marketing, and being in English helps too :P

• Like 1

Eh, just because it's Dreamworks doesn't mean it's bad though. I actually really like them as a studio, they can balance humor, story, characters, and design pretty well. They always manage to nail the visuals though.Plus, the recency, brand recognition, better marketing, and being in English helps too :P

There's some good Dreamworks films, Madagascar just isn't one of them.Worst movie in the top 100 so far in my opinion. Edited by The Panda
  • Like 3