baumer

Tues #s pg 4

Last regular weekday over 2m for GOTG.

DEAR GAWD STARKYSTARK! Me, every time you post… 

:ohmygod:

Oh, and   :bash:

Anyways, get that $$$ Guardians. Continue being awesome. 

Don't encourage him. It's reactions like these that he's going for. ;)

Edited by Accursed Arachnid!™
  • Like 1

Eh, the fact of the matter is that no comic book movie is really made with the purpose of depth in mind.  Comic book movies, whether you're talking Guardians. TMNT, XM:DoFP or MoS are made for the purpose of entertainment.  They're basically in a similar category to action films.  Does that mean that it's a bad thing?  No, of course not.  As long as they're entertaining people then they're doing what they're made to do.  We may not like all of them, but hey, different strokes for different folks  

Whether they admit it or not, people are largely grading on arbitrary personal preferences.  Some people like TMNT.  Some like GotG.  Some like both.  There's a fair amount of people who like neither.  Does any of that change the fact that both "mutagen substance creates pizza eating reptilian ninjas" and "space losers save the day from dude with glowing purple hammer oh and by the way there's a tree" are absolutely ridiculous concepts?    Not at all.  I mean "dude dresses up like a bat to fight crime because of parental abandonment issues" and "random human mutations have special powers and are commentary on treatment of homosexuality/mariginalised groups" are pretty ludicrous too.  

An idea being ridiculous or silly doesn't make it stupid.  I mean Shakespeare wrote about a dude being cursed to have the head of an ass.  How is that not silly?  By the standards of the times, I'm sure that most of Jules Verne was pretty out there.  Or Rudyard Kipling and his talking animals.  How about Edgar Rice Burroughs?  A guy is raised by apes and swings around in the jungle.  If we didn't already know Tarzan through popular culture, how absolutely ridiculous would that seem?

What I'm saying it that most comic book movies, action movies, sci-fi and fantasy and horror movies are not made to be these meaningful works.  Heck, 'meaningful works' don't really do all that well at the box office by comparison because what is meaningful to one person may not touch a chord with another.  What comic book, action, etc movies do is to appeal on a broad basis and hopefully find their niche with people that they do manage to strike a chord with.

I love Pacific Rim.  I do.  It's great fun.  Is it the most awesome movie ever?  Not by a long shot.  It's not going to appeal to everyone.  Some people will think it's stupid.  But it's just as stupid in concept as everything else so that's fine.

TL;DR:  You can think TMNT or GotG or MoS or PR is dumb, but that doesn't make any of those "worse" in concept than anything else.  Everything was a "stupid" idea once.  You can dislike something while still acknowledging that it has merit for other people.

Just stop with the bashing.  It's tiresome.

Edited by Sal
  • Like 3

Is it weird they released an estimate for Tuesday? In any case,  huge jump compared to movies this time last year, but Monday  also had bigger drops than last year as well, kind of "evens" things out.

Tuesdays are fast becoming a weekend type day. It's possibly becoming a number studios want to show off.

• Like 1

Is it weird they released an estimate for Tuesday? In any case,  huge jump compared to movies this time last year, but Monday  also had bigger drops than last year as well, kind of "evens" things out.

It's bcs the $500.5m worldwide ..... I think

• Like 2

Is it weird they released an estimate for Tuesday?

They wanted to get the "it's over 500M worldwide" headlines out there early. It's not that uncommon to get an early weekday estimate when it correlates with a major milestone

• Like 6

They wanted to get the "it's over 500M worldwide" headlines out there early. It's not that uncommon to get an early weekday estimate when it correlates with a major milestone

The milestone's already been posted on several sites.  They knew they were close so it behooves them to keep an attentive eye on it.