Chrestomanci

Thursday 12/22/11 Numbers

It wouldn`t be a bad number in normal circumstances but they are not normal. There were serious expectations of a breakout due to book popularity (or what media wanted us to believe was the most popular shit since Twilight), Fincher post-TSN (as if that movie was a boxoffice breakout) and Maramania daydreaming that is now turning into a joke. The search for Lisbeth was a breaking news on may sites and in many trades so the movie definitely didn`t lack media hype long before it endered the production. So for such favorable situation, only $3 mio daily when tired franchise with an action star past his prime kicks its ass ten times from tomorrow is a big failure. And don`t try to bring up R rating. We know that R doesn`t mean shit when there`s a real demand (Hangover,etc)

Dragon Tattoo is doing slightly less than I hoped but I think it'll have a pretty good run. Theaters by me are pretty busy today and there is a lot of demand and tickets being sold for tonights showings of MI4 and Dragon Tattoo.

yep. Kick Ass wasn`t a flop but since hype machine set expectations too high and it fell well short of meeting them, it`s considered another geek bomb although it was not. GWTDT expectations were even higher. Heck, didn`t the tagline go along the "feel-bad movie of the Christmas" or something?

But we have to consider that the film has less showings because of the long running time and that it is R and very very dark. Not what most people wish to see around Christmas. This should have very good legs over January.

#MI4 #1 again on THU w/ $6.4M upping dom total to $32.4M while overseas gross smashed $100M.

From BoxOfficeGuru.

So it's official. It's having a great run so far.

Saw it last night. It was a great action film and a true rollercoaster at times but the story was really weak and cliche. Still realy enoyable.

boxoffice.com has a number for MI4 now, but it's got enough zeros that it's either extremely unusual or still an estimate: $6,420,000.ETA:Must still be an estimate. Their number for Tintin is $2,430,000. I guess we won't get actuals for the Paramount movies until next week.

Edited by Chrestomanci

Shawn it was Chrestomanci's post at 9:15 am on the 10th page and from then on.

I'd have said that it started earlier than that. The whole reason that I made that post was that the first post and thread title had already been changed to reflect the Thursday numbers instead of the Wednesday ones and I'm pretty sure people were already talking about them. But I guess this works.