Macbeth (1971)

4 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

Speaking of Polanski... this gets my vote as his second-best film after Chinatown. A true adaptation: respectful without being slavish, and beautifully cinematic all the way through; this is as far from filmed theater territory as it could possibly be. Bold, bloody, dynamic (the 140 minutes fly by), gorgeously shot, and acted with both fury and subtlety. Really a film that needs to be much more widely seen; now that Criterion has put out a Blu-ray, hopefully it will be. 

it could have been so much better without the insufferable poetic dialogue. Still, a big step up from Polanski previous film, the godawful The Fearless Vampire Killers 55/100

If it wasn't for the amazing Chinatown and the really good Rosemary's Baby, I would have given up on Polanski

Edited by Goffe R Swanson

I want someone to do a major Shakespeare film, period. We're getting Macbeth with Fassbender and Cotillard soon, which is cool, but I'd like to see someone like PTA or Andrew Dominik adapt Shakespeare with a well-sized budget and a killer cast and great production values. 

it could have been so much better without the insufferable poetic dialogue. 

The dialogue makes it what it is. I'm certainly not against Shakespeare adaptations that don't keep the dialogue, but I can hardly comprehend criticizing those that stay faithful to it. It's like saying Tarantino's films would be "so much better" without all the witty speeches and digressions and references, or classical Hollywood noirs would be "so much better" without all the wit and innuendo and cool one-liners. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 3

The dialogue makes it what it is. I'm certainly not against Shakespeare adaptations that don't keep the dialogue, but I can hardly comprehend criticizing those that stay faithful to it. It's like saying Tarantino's films would be "so much better" without all the witty speeches and digressions and references, or classical Hollywood noirs would be "so much better" without all the wit and innuendo and cool one-liners. 

It's easy to understand, most of time the dialogue was either unnecessary, barely comprehensible or even laughable at times. Macbeth was any good because of splendid visuals, good acting and great execution of its themes.

Edited by Goffe R Swanson