rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

Did anyone hear about Jean-Luc Godard's critique of Spielberg for Schindler's List. He accused the guy of making millions from the film and never giving any to Mrs. Schindler. The fact that Spielberg didn't take any money for the project must've made Godard look like an idiot.

Godard says a lot of stupid shit.

• Like 1

Did anyone hear about Jean-Luc Godard's critique of Spielberg for Schindler's List. He accused the guy of making millions from the film and never giving any to Mrs. Schindler. The fact that Spielberg didn't take any money for the project must've made Godard look like an idiot.

That, and according to Thomas Keneally (who wrote the book) Mrs. Schindler was indeed paid.

I think it's a very good film but I'm always interested in reading critiques against it. Godard's was partly incredibly lazy (the money comment) but he also got at something true, in that there is something troubling about such a weighty true story being tweaked so that it could become a Hollywood narrative which no doubt helped it (and the Holocaust in general) get more exposure. The question is whether the exposure justifies the means, and while it's easy to say yes, the more I think about it the less sure I am. I'm all for dramatic license but when you're dealing with something like Holocaust you should really think twice before applying it.

For those who've seen Shoah. is it true that Lanzmann doesn't bother with subtitles and has all the questions and answers translated to the interviewees and then back to him? Because, honestly, sight unseen, that reeks of self-importance i.e. "My subject is the Holocaust so I'm gonna do whatever the fuck I want including stretching the film to 9+ hours like that which would only make fewer people want to commit to watching it". I'm sure there's some insight to be gained there but I also imagine it could quickly become punishing. I'd rather just rewatch Alain Resnais' Night and Fog which packs an absolutely incredible amount of power and horror into just 30 minutes of screentime.

I also read a comment from Lanzmann where he angrily said something to the effect of "people shouldn't try to understand the roots of Hitler's evil", something I couldn't disagree more with because to me Hitler is so terrifying precisely due to having been a human and not just some inexplicably evil boogeyman who only appeared once and could never possibly return.

• Like 2

That, and according to Thomas Keneally (who wrote the book) Mrs. Schindler was indeed paid.

I think it's a very good film but I'm always interested in reading critiques against it. Godard's was partly incredibly lazy (the money comment) but he also got at something true, in that there is something troubling about such a weighty true story being tweaked so that it could become a Hollywood narrative which no doubt helped it (and the Holocaust in general) get more exposure. The question is whether the exposure justifies the means, and while it's easy to say yes, the more I think about it the less sure I am. I'm all for dramatic license but when you're dealing with something like Holocaust you should really think twice before applying it.

I haven't seen it, so I'll refrain from commenting on Schindler's List in particular. But in general, I see that issue as a larger systemic problem than a weakness with one film.

• Like 1

For those who've seen Shoah. is it true that Lanzmann doesn't bother with subtitles and has all the questions and answers translated to the interviewees and then back to him? Because, honestly, sight unseen, that reeks of self-importance i.e. "My subject is the Holocaust so I'm gonna do whatever the fuck I want including stretching the film to 9+ hours like that which would only make fewer people want to commit to watching it". I'm sure there's some insight to be gained there but I also imagine it could quickly become punishing. I'd rather just rewatch Alain Resnais' Night and Fog which packs an absolutely incredible amount of power and horror into just 30 minutes of screentime.

I also read a comment from Lanzmann where he angrily said something to the effect of "people shouldn't try to understand the roots of Hitler's evil", something I couldn't disagree more with because to me Hitler is so terrifying precisely due to having been a human and not just some inexplicably evil boogeyman who only appeared once and could never possibly return.

yes, that's true. i think it's a good thing. and it is a punishing film.

as to the question of hitler, there's a film called hitler ein film aus deutschland by hans-jürgen syberberg. i haven't seen it, but it's supposed to be immense.

• Like 2

14. The Shawshank Redemption (1994) 41 points- 16 votes

"Remember Red, hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

the-shawshank-redemption-movie-poster-19

Andy Dufresne is a young and successful banker whose life changes drastically when he is convicted and sentenced to life imprisonment for the murder of his wife and her lover. Set in the 1940's, the film shows how Andy, with the help of his friend Red, the prison entrepreneur, turns out to be a most unconventional prisoner.

Trivia: Andy and Red's opening chat in the prison yard - in which Red is pitching a baseball - took 9 hours to shoot. Morgan Freeman pitched that baseball for the entire 9 hours without a word of complaint. He showed up for work the next day with his arm in a sling.

Ruk's Comments

"Why is this not in the Top 10?!"

• Like 12

13. Toy Story 3 (2010) 42 points- 13 votes

"So long... partner."

toy_story_three_ver10.jpg

Woody, Buzz and the whole gang are back. As their owner Andy prepares to depart for college, his loyal toys find themselves in daycare where untamed tots with their sticky little fingers do not play nice. So, it's all for one and one for all as they join Barbie's counterpart Ken, a thespian hedgehog named Mr. Pricklepants and a pink, strawberry-scented teddy bear called Lots-o'-Huggin' Bear to plan their great escape.

Trivia: There are 302 characters in the film.

Ruk's Comments

"The highest ranking Pixar movie on this list, Toy Story 3 made a fantastic conclusion to the trilogy. Sure, I prefer Toy Story 2 but this is still a good film. Even if I'm one of the heartless bastards who considers the ending to be a bit overblown."

• Like 8

12. Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) 42 points- 21 votes

"You want to talk to God? Let's go see him together, I've got nothing better to do."

pp31453-raiders-of-the-lost-ark-poster.j

The year is 1936. A professor who studies archeology named Indiana Jones is venturing in the jungles in South America searching for a golden statue. Unfortunately, he sets off a deadly trap doing so, miraculously, he escapes. Then, Jones hears from a museum curator named Marcus Brody about a biblical artifact called The Ark of the Covenant, which can hold the key to humanly existence. Jones has to venture to vast places such as Nepal and Egypt to find this artifact. However, he will have to fight his enemy Renee Belloq and a band of Nazis in order to reach it.

Trivia: Jeff Bridges turned down the role of Indiana Jones.

Ruk's Comments

"Okay, while I'm aware this is probably the 12th or so film I've said this about, but why the hell isn't this in the Top 10? It's pretty much the iconic action/adventure movie with one of the most likeable heroes in any franchise ever. The action is great, the characters are great, the locations are great, the humour is great. It's all fantastic."

• Like 16

11. The Avengers (2012) 43 points- 20 votes

"I don't think we should be focusing on Loki. That guy's brain is a bag full of cats. You can smell crazy on him"

avengers_poster.jpg

Nick Fury is director of S.H.I.E.L.D, an international peace keeping agency. The agency is a who's who of Marvel Super Heroes, with Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, Hawkeye and Black Widow. When global security is threatened by Loki and his cohorts, Nick Fury and his team will need all their powers to save the world from disaster.

Trivia: Robert Downey Jr. kept food hidden all over the lab set and apparently nobody could find where it was, so they just let him continue doing it. In the movie, that's his actual food he's offering and when he was eating, it wasn't scripted. He was just hungry.

Ruk's Comments

"While we're probably going to get a ton of comments saying that this film shouldn't be so high and/or on the list at all, dammit I unashamedly adore this film. The concept could go wrong so easily but this just gets everything right! Each character gets just the right amount of focus and the film really feels like it's building on their previous portrayals in other Marvel movies rather than just rehashing old stuff. The dialogue is sharp, witty, endlessly quotable yet still has room for some great emotional moments. The climactic action scene is one of, if not my favourite action scene of all time. It flows perfectly, has so many memorable moments, constantly calls back from previous moments in the film, easy to follow (as opposed to the shakey cam messes of many action movies nowadays) really feels like it's building up to something and finishes just as it's starting to wear out its welcome. Compare to... other Superhero movies where the action is just 30 minutes of grey blurs, noise and shakey cam with little to no variation, and this really stands out.

Which leads me to the biggest thing I love about this movie. It's fun. It's a lot of fun. In a world where people seem to think dark and gritty automatically equals good, it's so uplifting to see a film set out with the express intention of being one hell of a fun time and more than succeeding. It may not be that deep. It may not be that revolutionary. But damned if I don't love it anyway."

• Like 5

These last three entries make us look stupid.

The Avengers made the top 20, yet Transformers couldn't make the list...

I agree that Avengers is too high (I don't think it's the best MCU film) even though I have it in the top 100. But I have no idea what anyone sees in Transformers. I found it to be one of the worst films I have ever seen. Everything about it was bad, bad story, bad acting, bad humour, and worst of all for this type of film, bad action scenes.