rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

8. 12 Angry Men (1957) 46 points- 17 votes

"Well, I'm not used to supposin'. I'm just a workin' man. My boss does all the supposin', but I'll try one. Supposin' you talk us all out of this, and, uh, the kid really did knife his father?"

12-angry-men-pic-1.jpg

The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.

Trivia: As the film failed to make a profit, Henry Fonda never received his deferred salary. Despite this setback, Fonda always regarded 12 Angry Men (1957) as one of the three best films he ever made, the other two being The Grapes of Wrath (1940) and The Ox-Bow Incident (1943).

Ruk's Comments

tumblr_m6wkqu269Z1qihztbo1_500.gif

"Alright, this almost makes me forgive you guys for constantly overrating Nolan's crap. Almost.

My favourite non-animated film of all time, 12 Angry Men doesn't have much on paper. There's no action, romance, anything like that. It's just 12 guys in a room (and a small bathroom) talking. But my god do they make it work. Each of those 12 men has such a distinct personality thanks to both the physical performances of their actors and the world-class writing provided. Lumet's directing successfully manages to show off each actor while creating a perfect sense of claustrophobia and squeezing every drop of drama from the scenario. And it has a fantastic moral lesson as well of 'Innocent until Proven Guilty' which is just as relevant nowadays as it was back then, if not more so. And, intriguingly, it leaves whether the boy truly is innocent completely ambiguous right to the end, adding a pleasant mix of grey to the proceedings.

Honestly, I could gush about this movie more than any other film on this list but I've got stuff I should be doing tonight so I'll leave it there. But it's nice to have an inclusion I have absolutely no argument against." 

Bravo everyone bravo!!!!

• Like 1

8. 12 Angry Men (1957) 46 points- 17 votes

"Well, I'm not used to supposin'. I'm just a workin' man. My boss does all the supposin', but I'll try one. Supposin' you talk us all out of this, and, uh, the kid really did knife his father?"

12-angry-men-pic-1.jpg

The defense and the prosecution have rested and the jury is filing into the jury room to decide if a young Spanish-American is guilty or innocent of murdering his father. What begins as an open and shut case of murder soon becomes a mini-drama of each of the jurors' prejudices and preconceptions about the trial, the accused, and each other. Based on the play, all of the action takes place on the stage of the jury room.

Trivia: As the film failed to make a profit, Henry Fonda never received his deferred salary. Despite this setback, Fonda always regarded 12 Angry Men (1957) as one of the three best films he ever made, the other two being The Grapes of Wrath (1940) and The Ox-Bow Incident (1943).

Ruk's Comments

"Alright, this almost makes me forgive you guys for constantly overrating Nolan's crap. Almost.

fuck-you-yeah-i-said-it.jpg

• Like 1

I had 12 Angry Men high on my list. I really don't get the love of Lord of the Rings. I like the movies but none in my top 100 movies. 

I had the first one on my list but not the others. I think it's the best of the trilogy and it was a joy to see Tolkien's world recreated on the big screen.

Other miscellaneous thoughts on the list so faa:

I didn't have any Nolan.

Jurassic Park is great fun but it's not even in my top 5 Speilberg.

10 Top Courtroom Dramas aside from the 2 that made the list [12 Angry Men & Mockingbird]

The Verdict (1982) [Newman should have won his Oscar for this movie]

Inherit The Wind (1960)

Judgement At Nuremberg (1961)

The Caine Mutiny (1954)

Paths of Glory (1957)

Anatomy of a Murder (1959)

A Man For All Seasons (1966)

In Cold Blood (1967)

Intruder In The Dust (1949)

Breaker Morant (1980)

• Like 3

I'm shocked and delighted about 12 Angry Men's inclusion.

But it makes me wonder if it's now required viewing in H.S. civics class or something because while it's a all time great film and drama there are quite a few others of the same caliber that didn't even sniff this list.

The film wasn't required for us, but reading the play was.

• Like 2

Inception isn't even worthy of top 250, let alone top 10.

It's good enough, but it's very flawed in over exposition to the point where it's way to easy to follow for a film that's supposed to blow your mind (nothing was really shocking or surprising with it). I mean it was a fun thriller, but there isn't enough substance to it to justify it placing so high.

I mean there's a lot of movies that don't deserve their place, but every time I see a new one that doesn't it irks me even more.

• Like 2

Inception isn't even worthy of top 250, let alone top 10.

It's good enough, but it's very flawed in over exposition to the point where it's way to easy to follow for a film that's supposed to blow your mind (nothing was really shocking or surprising with it). I mean it was a fun thriller, but there isn't enough substance to it to justify it placing so high.

I mean there's a lot of movies that don't deserve their place, but every time I see a new one that doesn't it irks me even more.

Well, SW is even higher, so you can complain there too :P

And Inception is one of the best SF movies ever made, definitely worth of the top. Maybe not Top 10, but certainly Top 30.

Edited by James
  • Like 1