rukaio101

Box Office.com's Top 100 films of All Time (2014 edition)- List Complete! Everyone is Disappointed!

21. Goodfellas (1990) 37 points- 14 votes

"For as long as I can remember I always wanted to be a gangster. To me that was better than being president of the United States. To be a gangster was to own the world."

GoodFellas_film_poster.jpg

Henry Hill is a small time gangster, who takes part in a robbery with Jimmy Conway and Tommy De Vito, two other gangsters who have set their sights a bit higher. His two partners kill off everyone else involved in the robbery, and slowly start to climb up through the hierarchy of the Mob. Henry, however, is badly affected by his partners success, but will he stoop low enough to bring about the downfall of Jimmy and Tommy?

Trivia: The "You think I'm funny?" scene was based on a story that Joe Pesci acted out for Martin Scorsese. While working in a restaurant as a young man, Pesci once told a mobster that he was funny and the mobster became very angry. Scorsese allowed Pesci and Ray Liotta to improvise the scene. He did not tell the other actors in the scene what would happen because he wanted their genuine surprised reactions.

Ruk's Comments

"Okay, I'm not too pissed this beat Casablanca.

Don't get me wrong, I prefer Casablanca but there's no denying that this is a damn good film. And this is coming from someone who isn't the fondest of gangster flicks. Scorsese is on his toppest of top forms and there are some great performances from Di Niro, Liotta and especially Pesci."

Too fucking low

• Like 5

I've always called The Usual Suspects an utterly forgettable movie people only remember for the ending, and I stick by that. It's equivalent to Superman Returns in Singer's filmography, except it has that memorable ending.

Oh, I totally disagree.  I thought the characters were all well developed and memorable, and seeing them all realize they're slowly sinking further and further into the web as they try to thrash their way out is nicely done.

• Like 3

Now we're getting to the final 20. Interesting note, I actually prefer 11-20 to 1-10. 

19. Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (2002) 37.3 points- 16 votes

"He was 'twitching' because he's got my axe EMBEDDED IN HIS NERVOUS SYSTEM!"

lord_of_the_rings_the_two_towers.jpg

Sauron's forces increase. His allies grow. The Ringwraiths return in an even more frightening form. Saruman's army of Uruk Hai is ready to launch an assault against Aragorn and the people of Rohan. Yet, the Fellowship is broken and Boromir is dead. For the little hope that is left, Frodo and Sam march on into Mordor, unprotected. A number of new allies join with Aragorn, Gimli, Legolas, Pippin and Merry. And they must defend Rohan and attack Isengard. Yet, while all this is going on, Sauron's troops mass toward the City of Gondor, for the War of the Ring is about to begin.

Trivia: John Rhys-Davies (Gimli) had lost the tip of his left middle finger in a farm accident when he was younger, so special prosthetic fingertips were made from a cast of his right middle finger. During shooting he decided to pull a prank on Peter Jackson. He cut the tip off the prosthetic finger and filled it with fake blood, then went up to Jackson and said "boss, I had an accident."

Ruk's Comments

"The lowest scoring of the Lord of the Rings films (what? It's not like anyone really believed any of them wouldn't really make it onto this list), The Two Towers still has enough to stand as a great film thanks to some amazing action and Andy Serkis's iconic performance as Gollum."

• Like 10

18. Jaws (1975) 38 points- 17 votes

"You're gonna need a bigger boat."

Jaws-Poster.jpg

It's a hot summer on Amity Island, a small community whose main business is its beaches. When new Sheriff Martin Brody discovers the remains of a shark attack victim, his first inclination is to close the beaches to swimmers. This doesn't sit well with Mayor Larry Vaughn and several of the local businessmen. Brody backs down to his regret as that weekend a young boy is killed by the predator. The dead boy's mother puts out a bounty on the shark and Amity is soon swamped with amateur hunters and fisherman hoping to cash in on the reward. A local fisherman with much experience hunting sharks, Quint, offers to hunt down the creature for a hefty fee. Soon Quint, Brody and Matt Hooper from the Oceanographic Institute are at sea hunting the Great White shark. As Brody succinctly surmises after their first encounter with the creature, they're going to need a bigger boat.

Trivia: During pre-production, director Steven Spielberg, accompanied by friends Martin Scorsese, George Lucas and John Milius, visited the effects shop where "Bruce" the shark was being constructed. Lucas stuck his head in the shark's mouth to see how it worked and, as a joke, Milius and Spielberg sneaked to the controls and made the jaw clamp shut on Lucas' head. Unfortunately, and rather prophetically, considering the later technical difficulties the production would suffer, the shark malfunctioned, and Lucas got stuck in the mouth of the shark. When Spielberg and Milius were finally able to free him, the three men ran out of the workshop, afraid they'd done major damage to the creature.

Ruk's Comments

"Dana...danadana....danadanadanadana- okay, you know the rest.

Spielberg's first feature-length film (The Sugarland Express? What's that?), Jaws is widely considered to have invented the modern Summer Blockbuster. And it's one hell of a fun ride. Trust Spielberg to take a possible movie-ruining technical problem and work it to his advantage by keeping the shark from view. Add in the likeable trio of Brody, Hooper and Quint, who all ahve great chemisty, and this is undoubtedly a classic.

Okay, lisa, you can start complaining now."

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 13

17. The Matrix (1999) 39 points- 15 votes

"Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

the_matrix_center_small.jpg

Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality, but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans' body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents: super-powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.

Trivia: The Wachowskis approached Warner with the idea of the Matrix and Warner balked at the budget they had submitted, which was over $80 million. Warner instead agreed to give them $10 million. The Wachowskis took the money and filmed the first ten minutes of the movie (the opening scene with Carrie-Anne Moss) using the entire $10 million. They then showed the executives at Warner the opening scene. They were impressed, and green-lit the original asking budget.

Ruk's Comments

"While people may have their differing opinions on the Wachowski's fare in recent years (Some love Cloud Atlas, some hate it, I love Speed Racer, everyone else hates it), you won't find many people who truly hate this film. Sure most of the ideas in it have been explored much better elsewhere, but the Wachowski's bring such a style to the proceedings with some truly revolutionary filmmaking, especially when it comes to the action. Admittedly, Keanu Reeves has all the emotional range of a brick, but at least Huge Weaving is fun.

Let's just not talk about the sequels.... (Although I do like the second film.)"

• Like 13

17. The Matrix (1999) 39 points- 15 votes

"Throughout human history, we have been dependent on machines to survive. Fate, it seems, is not without a sense of irony."

the_matrix_center_small.jpg

Thomas A. Anderson is a man living two lives. By day he is an average computer programmer and by night a hacker known as Neo. Neo has always questioned his reality, but the truth is far beyond his imagination. Neo finds himself targeted by the police when he is contacted by Morpheus, a legendary computer hacker branded a terrorist by the government. Morpheus awakens Neo to the real world, a ravaged wasteland where most of humanity have been captured by a race of machines that live off of the humans' body heat and electrochemical energy and who imprison their minds within an artificial reality known as the Matrix. As a rebel against the machines, Neo must return to the Matrix and confront the agents: super-powerful computer programs devoted to snuffing out Neo and the entire human rebellion.

Trivia: The Wachowskis approached Warner with the idea of the Matrix and Warner balked at the budget they had submitted, which was over $80 million. Warner instead agreed to give them $10 million. The Wachowskis took the money and filmed the first ten minutes of the movie (the opening scene with Carrie-Anne Moss) using the entire $10 million. They then showed the executives at Warner the opening scene. They were impressed, and green-lit the original asking budget.

Ruk's Comments

"While people may have their differing opinions on the Wachowski's fare in recent years (Some love Cloud Atlas, some hate it, I love Speed Racer, everyone else hates it), you won't find many people who truly hate this film. Sure most of the ideas in it have been explored much better elsewhere, but the Wachowski's bring such a style to the proceedings with some truly revolutionary filmmaking, especially when it comes to the action. Admittedly, Keanu Reeves has all the emotional range of a brick, but at least Huge Weaving is fun.

Let's just not talk about the sequels.... (Although I do like the second film.)"

You're making the bricks sad.  Though its a little hard to tell.

16. Back to the Future (1985) 40 points- 18 votes

"Oh. One other thing. If you guys ever have kids, and one of them, when he's eight years old, accidentally sets fire to the living room rug... go easy on him."

back-to-the-future-poster.jpg

Marty McFly, a typical American teenager of the Eighties, is accidentally sent back to 1955 in a plutonium-powered DeLorean "time machine" invented by slightly mad scientist. During his often hysterical, always amazing trip back in time, Marty must make certain his teenage parents-to-be meet and fall in love - so he can get back to the future.

Trivia: Universal Pictures head Sid Sheinberg did not like the title "Back to the Future", insisting that nobody would see a movie with "future" in the title. In a memo to Robert Zemeckis, he said that the title should be changed to "Spaceman From Pluto", tying in with the Marty-as-alien jokes in the film, and also suggested further changes like replacing the "I'm Darth Vader from planet Vulcan" line with "I am a spaceman from Pluto!" Sheinberg was persuaded to change his mind by a response memo from Steven Spielberg, which thanked him for sending a wonderful "joke memo", and that everyone got a kick out of it. Sheinberg, too proud to admit he was serious, gave in to letting the film retain its title.

Ruk's Comments

"Embarassingly, this is the only film in the top 20 I've not seen in its entirety (although oddly I've seen both the sequels), having only caught the first 30 minutes when it was on TV. But hey, it's got a kickass theme tune."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8TZbze72Bc

• Like 12