Marek the Jedi

'Mission: Impossible' on track to win holiday B.O. / FRIDAY numbers

'Mission: Impossible' on track to win holiday B.O.

'Protocol' earns north of $9 million Friday; 'Sherlock' grosses around $7M

Based on early Friday afternoon numbers, box office watchers estimate the Par pic to earn just north of $9 million for the day, putting the Tom Cruise-starrer in line to gross at around $35.5 million between now and Monday. Pic's domestic cume as of Thursday is $32.4 million, including the film's exclusive large-format bow last weekend.

Warner Bros.' "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows" should follow in B.O. standing, with early projections putting the film's Friday-Monday total between $28 million to $30 million. Analysts say that's based off of a Friday gross estimated at around $7 million.

http://www.variety.c...S|News|FilmNews

I concur that on paper this looked like a kickass winter.

How so? MI lost relevance 4-5 years ago as did its star. SH was just OK. Tintin we knew would have harder time doemstically. Only DT was hyped as the second coming. None of these movies is in event of the holiday season league like Avatar and LOTR were and TH will be. So I called boring holiday all the way since schedule became known and I was right. 2012 will resurrect the cinema.