Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

Also in 5 years at $50,000 per year in one of the most expensive cities in the world, he is able to open his own club? I don't buy it. His band would have needed huge success and he would need a much bigger cut of the band's revenue than $50,000 to have enough money saved up for his own club. Maybe it happened...but still yet another example of Millennial entitlement and fantasy.

Edited by redfirebird2008
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Spoiler policy is only for two weeks. Movie has been out since December 9th.

But it only went wide last weekend and is still in a relatively small amount of theaters. I'm sorry we don't all live in a big city!

Edited by WrathOfHan

1 minute ago, La La Panda said:

Lol, this isn't Manchester by the Sea.  The movie has a golden age musical fairytale feel to it all, with a dose of reality here and there.

I think I would have bought the ending if it was 20 years later instead of 5 years later. But that probably would require extra expense to make them look much older.

1 minute ago, cannastop said:

When Disney animated features have more reality, maybe you're doing something wrong.

Id really have to disagree with that.  Besides part of the point of the movie is that it's supposed to feel dreamy.  Whether you think the ending was realistic or not, the movie wouldn't have worked with a different ending.

It's a contemporary fantasy story.  Complaining about realism is quite silly.  The movie isn't trying to be like Moonlight, and that's fine on both fronts.  I'd get the realism complaints if La La Land was aiming for a more realistic vibe, but from the opening number alone you can tell it's not.

Just now, redfirebird2008 said:

I think I would have bought the ending if it was 20 years later instead of 5 years later. But that probably would require extra expense to make them look much older.

I mean, it doesn't really go into the details of how he secured it.  And I think it's better that it doesn't, because that would be boring and pointless.  This movie obviously wasn't aiming for realism stylistically (which is fine).

I think we're to used to hyper-realism in our cinema nowadays.  I guess it can make something more open ended and fantastical like La La Land a bit jarring.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

Id really have to disagree with that.  Besides part of the point of the movie is that it's supposed to feel dreamy.  Whether you think the ending was realistic or not, the movie wouldn't have worked with a different ending.

It's a contemporary fantasy story.  Complaining about realism is quite silly.  The movie isn't trying to be like Moonlight, and that's fine on both fronts.  I'd get the realism complaints if La La Land was aiming for a more realistic vibe, but from the opening number alone you can tell it's not.

If it's going to be fantasy, go all fantasy.

Don't detail Mr. Seb's compensation package. Seriously, what the hell? Don't have him mouth off to his boss like a fucking twit, and possibly make the audience root against him.

And even fantasy women have more personality than Mia in La La Land. Such as literally any Disney protagonist.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, La La Panda said:

I mean, it doesn't really go into the details of how he secured it.  And I think it's better that it doesn't, because that would be boring and pointless.  This movie obviously wasn't aiming for realism stylistically (which is fine).

I think we're to used to hyper-realism in our cinema nowadays.  I guess it can make something more open ended and fantastical like La La Land a bit jarring.  

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm a numbers kind of person and as soon as the band leader threw out $1,000 per week and Sebastian told her that this is the dream...I took that to mean he would grind away at for many many years until he had enough to open his club. Then all of a sudden on $1,000 per week in an extremely expensive city, he has enough saved in 5 years to open the club. You are right, it is jarring! :lol:

1 minute ago, redfirebird2008 said:

I understand where you are coming from, but I'm a numbers kind of person and as soon as the band leader threw out $1,000 per week and Sebastian told her that this is the dream...I took that to mean he would grind away at for many many years until he had enough to open his club. Then all of a sudden on $1,000 per week in an extremely expensive city, he has enough saved in 5 years to open the club. You are right, it is jarring! :lol:

$1k/week basically means he can live in his own apartment. If he's careful with his money. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cannastop said:

All I see when I see Ryan Gosling: "Entitled douche who thinks he should have his own Jazz club. Wants to call it fucking 'Seb'"

Spoiler

Calling it "Seb's" was Mia's idea. 

18 minutes ago, redfirebird2008 said:

Yeah, the jazz club thing seemed kinda forced. Chazelle's writing definitely has the Snake Person perspective of entitlement. Okay, put a roof over your head and food on the table before you worry about some grand business plan.

Spoiler

Putting a roof over his and Mia's head and food on the table is basically the reason he agreed to stick in that band and make money doing a thing he didn't enjoy. He is entitled and prickly in the beginning, but he makes sacrifices and gains experiences and perspective, and is passionate enough about the jazz club idea that he carries it through it all before he's able to finally realize it. I don't see any problem here.

18 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Mia is just a stupid helpless waif. I'd like her more if she just gave any thought about what more she had to do to succeed

Did we watch the same movie?

Spoiler

She wrote, staged and acted in an entire one-woman play...

21 minutes ago, cannastop said:

and it's just by accident that she gets ahead

Spoiler

... that a casting agent came to see. Entire careers are based on "accidents" like this.

28 minutes ago, cannastop said:

Movie seems to think that her getting a big gig and getting married is character development

Spoiler

Aside from good character work not necessarily requiring "development", Mia gets disillusioned enough with Hollywood that she actually gives up her dream and returns home, then puts her faith into that one final opportunity that pays off. That's enough of development. Getting married is obviously not a part of it - it's in the epilogue, just a fact to be acknowledged.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Putting a roof over his and Mia's head and food on the table is basically the reason he agreed to stick in that band and make money doing a thing he didn't enjoy. He is entitled and prickly in the beginning, but he makes sacrifices and gains experiences and perspective, and is passionate enough about the jazz club idea that he carries it through it all before he's able to finally realize it. I don't see any problem here.

Did we watch the same movie?

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Oh yeah. The one woman play. They seriously should have made that a memorable part of the movie, because I completely forgot about it.

Why not show 10 minutes of that stuff? Let's see how hard she worked. But no, we don't get to see it, and then she just gives up and moves back in with her folks. What the hell? For all we know, that was the right decision.

So beyond that, I'm not getting why these two narcissists have an interesting plight. They actually seem to be doing pretty well.

Edited by cannastop
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Hide contents

Spoiler

He referred to that job as the dream, the way to make enough so he could open his club. Problem is he opens the club in 5 years and we know that he was only making $1,000 per week just 5 years earlier. I figured when he told her it's the dream, he meant he would grind away at the job for a long time and save up enough. 5 years? He would need more like $500,000 per year in that amount of time to open a club in that city. And maybe he did hit the big time with his band or another project, but it does come across pretty silly after they give you his current income.

Lol, I fucking hate when people say millennial entitlement.  Like an entire generation of people just are oblivious to real world and expect everything to be given to them.

Talk about not understanding the generation at all.  People my age are cutthroat competitive to get a chance to go into massive amounts of debt for school and work 40+ hour a week unpaid internships in hope that it could lead to a career.  Fully recognizing the job market is shit if you don't go into the right one.

I also don't get where the entitlement argument of this movie is from.  It fully recognizes some of the flat out luck and difficulty it is to actually achieve a dream etc.  The theme is about how pursuing goals and relationships, and how temporary aspects of your life shape you permanently.

I get that there's backlash because this is the big Oscar frontrunner, and it's cool to hate the frontrunner, but some of these complaints seem either nitpicky or non-existent.  Maybe I saw a different movie, idk.

Not every movie is going to work for everyone though, I get it.  There's popular movies on here that don't work for me.

Edited by La La Panda
  • Like 9