CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

16 minutes ago, Warmaster506 said:

I got to admit as a long time suffering DC fan I want a win

DC getting one of the best directors in the business as their DC Studios head is arguably the biggest win since Christopher Nolan landed Batman Begins. The Batman was a massive win, just like The Suicide Squad and Peacemaker. It doesn’t need to be a pissing contest between Marvel and DC.

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

Watchmen is the exact opposite of a faithful adaptation. It's faithful in terms of the comic panels but not the meaning behind the panels. The comic's message is "superheroes are pathetic, stop looking to them to save you", the movie's message is "superheroing is so damn cool, especially Rorschach". The Watchmen show had to go out of it's way to try and fix that.

THIS.THIS.THIS.

Despite all the visual accuracy, even to basing some sequences on the actual comic book art. Snyder just did not get what the novel was saying. And I think he  blew the villian so badly. In the  novel it is a  shock when he is revealed, you thought he was one of the good guys. But Snyder has him pegged as a villain from his first scene.Big Mistake.

10 hours ago, JWR said:

It's faithful in that it recreates panels and moments from Watchmen. But missed the point of the source material.

It glorifies in the violence the graphic novel was satirizing/condemning. It lionizes Rorschach, who in the book is a conspiratorial bigoted asshole.

True, SNyder did that; But lots of fans did that before him. Alan Moore was geuniunly upset that people did not get that Rosharch was a dangerous psycho.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dudalb said:

THIS.THIS.THIS.

Despite all the visual accuracy, even to basing some sequences on the actual comic book art. Snyder just did not get what the novel was saying. And I think he  blew the villian so badly. In the  novel it is a  shock when he is revealed, you thought he was one of the good guys. But Snyder has him pegged as a villain from his first scene.Big Mistake.

Both Ozymandias and Rorschach are the actual villains. Growing up, I can understand people thinking Rorschach was cool. But I was a teenager when I realized how fucked up he was. The Watchmen series nailed though, even if Alan Moore disagrees.

2 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

Both Ozymandias and Rorschach are the actual villains. Growing up, I can understand people thinking Rorschach was cool. But I was a teenager when I realized how fucked up he was. The Watchmen series nailed though, even if Alan Moore disagrees.

Moore has never really liked any of the adaptations of his work; he disliked "V for Vendett" as well.. I think if he had his way, the rights never would have been sold. In a way I can understand that. Hemingway also hated almost every movie made of his novels.

But the TV series was a lot closer to Moore's charecters and  ideas then the Snyder film.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZattMurdock said:

Not necessarily. I expect it around more or less what The Batman cleared at a box office. I wouldn’t like to go with wild expectations for this one. You need this to be the Iron Man of the DCU, it’s not competing against Marvel, it’s building the founding rock for the new DC Universe.

ANyway, theater attendance will never get back to what it was before 2020. Streaming has cost  is a big share of  attendance.

700 Million is the new Billion.

Just now, dudalb said:

ANyway, theater attendance will never get back to what it was before 2020. Streaming has cost  is a big share of  attendance.

700 Million is the new Billion.

I actually agree with this. Inflation will get us there eventually though.

5 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

even if Alan Moore disagrees.

5 hours ago, dudalb said:

Moore has never really liked any of the adaptations of his work; he disliked "V for Vendett" as well..

I doubt Moore bothered to watch the show.

He's generally dismissive of adaptations based on his DC work by principle as he finds them fundamentally exploitative of the original creators (which they are) and he isn't compensated to the amount that he should (he's completely right).

It's still a great show but can't begrudge Moore his opinion and where he is coming from. 

8 minutes ago, Spidey Freak said:

I doubt Moore bothered to watch the show.

He's generally dismissive of adaptations based on his DC work by principle as he finds them fundamentally exploitative of the original creators (which they are) and he isn't compensated to the amount that he should (he's completely right).

It's still a great show but can't begrudge Moore his opinion and where he is coming from. 

The only adaptation Alan Moore likes is Watchmen Babies: V for Vacation

21 hours ago, ZattMurdock said:

I actually agree with this. Inflation will get us there eventually though.

It shuld be clear that things are not going back to the way they were before 2020.

I actually think the move to streaming would have happened if there had been no Covid; it just would have taken 4 or 5 years instead of one year.

But it is the biggest loss  to ticket sales since the coming of Television in the late 40's. That cut theater attendance by 40%.

On 6/13/2023 at 6:26 PM, Warmaster506 said:

I got to admit as a long time suffering DC fan I want a win

Starting to think someone at WB sold the DC soul in exchange for TDK trilogy. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I got a good argument for Hoult. Maybe they go the route that Burton was gonna go when he cast Cage. I can totally see them going for more of that look.

I will go on record and say this film needs to embrace Gen Z in the exact same way that Raimi's first Spider-man embraced older millennials. McGuire was one of the better young actors of that generation while Dunst was a major IT girl. Throw in some  NYC Americana and Nickelback and you have a major pop culture event as opposed something closer to 2000s X-Men which just a 'big hit'.

Commercial decision...Jacob Elordi should be Superman. Pay whatever is needed for a true A lister as Luthor/Jor-el. The cost must bring some excitement to this among the people that actually go to the movies. 

2 hours ago, dudalb said:

I am willing to bet that it will NOT be Elordi.

Obviously odds are probably not in his favor at this point. If I had to bet money, it would be David Corenswet, who would be fine. But as a producer, I would personally want the guy with the giant social media following. Elordi has the looks and chops to do it, though I may want to know just how his Elvis performance will fare before this one...

Edited by excel1
  • Like 1