TalismanRing

TUES #s (11.4.2014) [Rth: Interstellar 1.1-1.2, THR: $1.5m expected in first 24 hours. Wrap: $1.5m for Tues & Wed]]

People will see it in 35mm eventually, planning to do that myself, better than a digital version, but when it comes to previews clearly the fanbase shows up and given the headlines it's understandable that people will opting for IMAX, If you couldn't get a ticket for these showings, I'd rather wait towards the weekend myself to catch it in 70mm. I don't know that geographical breakdown, but I strongly assume that those people who have no access to IMAX are showing up for the 35mm showings, but the 35mm screenings in an IMAX town shall be empty.

• Like 1

People will see it in 35mm eventually,...

They will? Diehard fans or completionists will, but it seems like either the last-option or a sheer time/opportunity choice for almost everyone (if that's the showtime that's available when you want to watch it). A casual moviegoer's not going to be able to tell the difference (nor care), if given the choice between that or 4K digital.

Now 70mm? That's a different story... although there are very few venues playing in that format. (I'd actually be interested in seeing that option in addition to IMAX).

• Like 7

They will? Diehard fans or completionists will, but it seems like either the last-option or a sheer time/opportunity choice for almost everyone (if that's the showtime that's available when you want to watch it). A casual moviegoer's not going to be able to tell the difference (nor care), if given the choice between that or 4K digital.

Now 70mm? That's a different story... although there are very few venues playing in that format. (I'd actually be interested in seeing that option in addition to IMAX).

A casual moviegoer probably won't even know if his/her show is 35mm or 4K digital.

• Like 5

Mi4 did 600k on a Thursday on 425 locations for a $1,412.

Interstellar did 1.5 million in 24 hours.  Figure 1.0 million of that came from the 87 locations of IMAX and the 70mm format.  That is an avg of about $11.500.  the remaining half a million at 189 locations in 33mm is still a $2646 avg.   Ghost Protocol averaged $1412 on Thursday at 425.  Interstellar, 276 locations, $5435.

Perhaps after today, Interstellar will be at 2.0 million opening day.  $7250PSA and a 1.5M Thursday/$5435 PSA for 3.5 million over 2.5 days.  worst case 1.0 million Thurs, $3623 Thurs.   Will Friday make it to $10,000PSA with the Thursday 8pm shows for the rest of America/International???

at where I live, there are several 15/70m facilities, but none of them part of commercial cinema chain. 

Interstellar did 600K in previews. I did the math.

with 600k yesterday, 500k might be attainable tonight  that would give it 2 million and a 1.4 actual Wednesday number.   $5,072 for Wednesday.  regular sceens could be $1,500 average of this.  Will this average increase 1000% Friday?   hope so!!!

with 600k yesterday, 500k might be attainable tonight  that would give it 2 million and a 1.4 actual Wednesday number.   $5,072 for Wednesday.  regular sceens could be $1,500 average of this.  Will this average increase 1000% Friday?   hope so!!!

I don't understand a single word of what you said.

• Like 10

Mi4 did 600k on a Thursday on 425 locations for a $1,412.

Interstellar did 1.5 million in 24 hours.  Figure 1.0 million of that came from the 87 locations of IMAX and the 70mm format.  That is an avg of about $11.500.  the remaining half a million at 189 locations in 33mm is still a $2646 avg.   Ghost Protocol averaged $1412 on Thursday at 425.  Interstellar, 276 locations, $5435.

Perhaps after today, Interstellar will be at 2.0 million opening day.  $7250PSA and a 1.5M Thursday/$5435 PSA for 3.5 million over 2.5 days.  worst case 1.0 million Thurs, $3623 Thurs.   Will Friday make it to $10,000PSA with the Thursday 8pm shows for the rest of America/International???

article-2336183-002753B700000258-968_634

• Like 7

$1.5m / 249 screens = $6,020 per screen for the first full 24 hours.

IMAX theaters on avg have a far larger seating capacity &  IMAX tickets cost more

vs

Most theaters will have more than one screen playing Interstellar by Thur evening

Matt Damon's math above convinces me the PTA will be 27.4% less

So a $4,347 PTA on Fri with a 3 multiplier =  $13,041 w/e PTA  x 3,500 theaters = $44,564,350

Give or take a dollar or $12.31m

:ph34r:

Edited by TalismanRing