The Stingray

BOF's Top 25 Sci-Fi Films of the 21st Century | COUNTDOWN

Wait, someone had Transformers 2 as their #1 sci-fi film?  Why do I get the feeling I know who that is.

Ethan put the first movie, so I really don't know who that is. Maybe Ethan created a 2nd account?

• Like 1

#1:

INCEPTION (2010) - 402 points

"You mustn't be afraid to dream a little bigger, darling."

BzIm3YXIQAEGsFh.jpg

Director: Christopher Nolan

Premise: A thief who steals corporate secrets through use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a CEO.

CT5UJzI.jpg

BOF user review: It's an intriguing, engaging, stylish thriller, a heist movie, and a French new wave film all in one. It's Leo DiCaprio's best work, a Tom Hardy showcase, and proof that JGL can kick ass. It turns an entirely abstract concept of symbolic imagery, father/son relationship, and guilt/regret into an enormously compelling summer multiplex action movie. Nolan has made a few of my favorite movies ever but I put this at the top of his work. Seen it 5-6 times now and it never gets less interesting. - Gopher

Trivia: If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.

mariah-carey-clap.gif

• Like 1

#1:

BzIm3YXIQAEGsFh.jpg

Premise: A thief who steals corporate secrets through use of dream-sharing technology is given the inverse task of planting an idea into the mind of a CEO.

CT5UJzI.jpg

BOF user review: It's an intriguing, engaging, stylish thriller, a heist movie, and a French new wave film all in one. It's Leo DiCaprio's best work, a Tom Hardy showcase, and proof that JGL can kick ass. It turns an entirely abstract concept of symbolic imagery, father/son relationship, and guilt/regret into an enormously compelling summer multiplex action movie. Nolan has made a few of my favorite movies ever but I put this at the top of his work. Seen it 5-6 times now and it never gets less interesting. - Gopher

Trivia: If you take the first letters of the main characters' names - Dom, Robert, Eames, Arthur, Mal and Saito - they spell "Dreams". If you add Peter, Ariadne and Yusuf, the whole makes "Dreams Pay", which is what they do for a mind thief.

Shame, Inception is definitely NOT the best sci-fi movie, even from the last 4 years.  Hell, its not even Nolan's best Sci-Fi movie (Or second best if you count the Prestige).

Shame, Inception is definitely NOT the best sci-fi movie, even from the last 4 years.  Hell, its not even Nolan's best Sci-Fi movie (Or second best if you count the Prestige).

Inception would have made my Top 5 so I don't really mind it winning. It's become trendy to shit on it because it's Nolan.

• Like 6

#1:

BzIm3YXIQAEGsFh.jpg

CT5UJzI.jpg

beavis-n-butthead-rockin-out-o.gif

beavis-and-butthead-dance-o.gif

beavis-and-butthead-fast-dance-o.gif

• Like 3

#3:

ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND (2004) - 349 points

"I can't remember anything without you."

image.jpg

Director: Michel Gondry

Premise: When their relationship turns sour, a couple undergoes a procedure to have each other erased from their memories. But it is only through the process of loss that they discover what they had to begin with.

The film uses elements of science fiction, psychological thriller, and a nonlinear narrative to explore the nature of memory and romantic love.

2gyz4Cm.jpg

BOF user review: Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind succeeds on virtually every level. The editing and cinematography are fantastic, the soundtrack fits the film very well, direction is exceptional and the screenplay is your typical, absurd Kaufman premise with much insight and intelligence to back it up. I've mentioned almost nothing about the plot itself, even though it's one of the smartest and original in recent years, and there is a whole lot more points I could rave about, but I won't because you'll probably notice them when you watch it. I'm also kind of tired of writing, but that's beyond the point. I'm actually kind of surprised it's dropping at the same rate as other movies in IMDb's top 250 because of how great it holds up in repeat viewings, especially when you consider that it was the 2nd best movie of the decade according to critics, and it's a movie that I find hard to find a fault in. - Fanboy

Trivia: Clementine's hair goes through several color changes, blue, orange, red, green, and brown which seems to be her natural hair color. This helps the viewer keep track of where her relationship with Joel corresponds to the plot.

Just watched it last night, if i had seen it before, It may have gotten a higher ranking. incredible film!

Edited by KaloVisor
  • Like 1

Inception would have made my Top 5 so I don't really mind it winning. It's become trendy to shit on it because it's Nolan.

Interstellar was one of my favorite movies this year and I am a big fan of Memento (I was supporting Interstellar all the way after I saw its potential).  Believe me, I don't shit on Interstellar because I have a thing against Nolan movies, I do (and even then I am not trashing it, just saying it's nothing more than a decent thriller) because it's really not all that great.

• Like 1

Interstellar was one of my favorite movies this year and I am a big fan of Memento (I was supporting Interstellar all the way after I saw its potential).  Believe me, I don't shit on Interstellar because I have a thing against Nolan movies, I do (and even then I am not trashing it, just saying it's nothing more than a decent thriller) because it's really not all that great.

No sweat. To each his own.