CoolioD1

Weekend Actuals: Mockingjay - $121,897,634 (It Went SO Wrong!)

Hey mods, it's time to reopen the WWW thread.

I know that $123M is more money than I could possibly imagine. But the drop of 35M from the last one is also more money than I could possibly imagine. This is one of the biggest franchise movie drops of all time. This is coming in below everybody's predictions.

The WWW thread is 100% justified.

I know you guys are trying to make that happen, but it is simply not gonna happen. 

• Like 2

Making 35M less on OW is. 

25m. And no, not really. This is a franchise with very modest budgets and marketing (comparatively) that's going to make metric assloads of money for Lionsgate. The fact that it's making somewhat lesser metric assloads isn't a big deal.

WWW threads are for catastrophic openings or collapses, especially when you take into account a huge budget. And since the overseas market is such a significant part of grosses these days, counting only domestic is pretty pointless.

I'm not saying there should be absolutely no discussion whatsoever about it coming in with a lower OW than most expected, but that can be contained to the OW and MJ1 thread -- there's no need for a WWW thread.

I know you guys are trying to make that happen, but it is simply not gonna happen.

The problem is something went wrong if we're in for an over 100m franchise drop domestically.

People made one for httyd2 and it only dropped about 35m

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 1

But why though? When every single box office prognosticator and predictor and website and survey overshoots something by almost 30M and the final total by 100M or more, does that not deserve a WWW thread?

Not to mention a major drop from previous installments which neither DH1 or BD1 had.

HTTYD2 got one, and that dropped minimally and increased WW.

Edited by grim22
  • Like 2

Kinda like you getting to see that Star Wars trailer in the theater huh? :P

OH NO YOU DIDN'T, OH I AM SO GONNA BAN YOU FOR ETERNITY RIGHT NOW. OH YOU MOTHA....

Nicely played sir, very nicely played. No, you won't get banned, obviously

:lol:

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 4

The problem is something went wrong if we're in for an over 100m franchise drop domestically.

People made one for httyd2 and it only dropped about 35m

Sequels used to drop all the time, back in the day. This expectation that every sequel has to increase is a recent one, and it's not particularly true.

Yes, we've had WWW threads in the past, and almost without exception they've been a trainwreck and we've regretted allowing them. So we're holding them to a higher standard now.

But why though? When every single box office prognosticator and predictor and website and survey overshoots something by almost 30M, does that not deserve a WWW thread?

No.

• Like 2

25m. And no, not really. This is a franchise with very modest budgets and marketing (comparatively) that's going to make metric assloads of money for Lionsgate. The fact that it's making somewhat lesser metric assloads isn't a big deal.

WWW threads are for catastrophic openings or collapses, especially when you take into account a huge budget. And since the overseas market is such a significant part of grosses these days, counting only domestic is pretty pointless.

I'm not saying there should be absolutely no discussion whatsoever about it coming in with a lower OW than most expected, but that can be contained to the OW and MJ1 thread -- there's no need for a WWW thread.

I don't think WWW should be limited to flops but also movies that vastly underperform expectations. I mean Interstellar and Httyd2 both don't fit that definition and they each had WWW threads.

I don't think WWW should be limited to flops but also movies that vastly underperform expectations. I mean Interstellar and Httyd2 both don't fit that definition and they each had WWW threads.

And as I said before, most of the time when we've allowed WWW threads we regretted it. The IS one in particular is a recent and good example of why they're (usually) pointless.

• Like 2