baumer

Weds numbers (full numbers on pg 8)

Interstellar 35% ahead of Thor 2 on same day last year.

Thor TDW jumped 21% on Wednesday, Interstellar jumped 31%.

That said, I don't understand why people are trying to compare Thor 2 to Interstellar. They are not following similar trajectories. They play to different demographics.

It's a bad comparison.

• Like 3

That said, I don't understand why people are trying to compare Thor 2 to Interstellar. They are not following similar trajectories. They play to different demographics.

It's a bad comparison.

They were comparing because the raw numbers were similar last week. It's not a good comparison anymore

• Like 1

I'm thinking a harsher drop than Thor 2 might be in order today.

Why? Isn't Interstellar much more adult-skewing than a Marvel movie like Thor TDW?

Interstellar should have a better hold because it plays better with the older crowd.

It's a bad comparison.

Released on the same day, faced a Hunger Games movie on 3rd weekend, Thanksgiving 4th weekend, and similar dailies for the last 2 weeks.

All movie jumps on Wednesday were lower than comparative movies, MJ1 jumped lower than CF, BH6 lower than WiR, Horrible Bosses debuted lower than anyone thought it would.

• Like 5

how much did Penguins cost? They have there own TV show. Never expected the movie to do that much to begin with. 

TMNT have their own tv show too. And that one did better than most people expected. (And HTTYD also has a tv show. That one did far worse.)

Why? Isn't Interstellar much more adult-skewing than a Marvel movie like Thor TDW?

Interstellar should have a better hold because it plays better with the older crowd.

Because parents.grandparents run this holiday. People 16 - 24 lots of times try and get out early to go do stuff. I know I do.... but when Im 35 and hosting at my house I wont. 

• Like 2

Interstellar should have a better hold because it plays better with the older crowd.

Long run time, football games, and early shopping = less time for adults to go check it out

Conversely that might mean a really good Friday jump

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 1

It is embarrassing to witness the downward spiral of Dreamworks over the last 2 years.

Their animated box-office grosses are reaching late 1990's lows.

That's what happens when you flood the market like they have. Despite what you feel about Pixar's recent quality, they've still remained successful by keeping it 1 movie a year. Same with current day WDAS. Hell, even Blue Sky and Sony have kept things mostly rigid. Sure you'll have a "Croods" and rake in some cash, but then you also have a Rise of the Guardians, a Peabody and Sherman, a Turbo. And even your GOOD movies like Dragon 2 won't even break out huge.

I couldn't believe this when I saw this, but Penguins is Dreamworks Animation's THIRTIETH film. Their first one was Antz, not that long ago. Meanwhile Pixar has still yet to release their fifteenth film and they've been around longer.

No wonder DWA is circling the drain.

• Like 9

Jay Hollywood, on 27 Nov 2014 - 3:13 PM, said:

Because parents.grandparents run this holiday. People 16 - 24 lots of times try and get out early to go do stuff. I know I do.... but when Im 35 and hosting at my house I wont. 

I'm not sure what argument you're trying to make here.

Check the last few Thanksgivings. Adult movies clearly had better holds:

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2013-11-28&p=.htm

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/daily/chart/?sortdate=2012-11-22&p=.htm

how much did Penguins cost? They have there own TV show. Never expected the movie to do that much to begin with.

http://m.seekingalpha.com/article/2613945-dreamworks-animation-skgs-dwa-ceo-jeffrey-katzenberg-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

132 mil, similar to the Croods and Turbo.

Looking at the Catching Fire comp for MJ1, CF was at almost 300M coming out of the Thanksgiving weekend, it earned a further 120M from there (approx 40%). Mockingjay 1 looks like it will be at almost 220M coming out of Thanksgiving weekend, if it earns the same percentage as CF from there, it ends with 308M. Based on that comp, 300M may end up being a slog to get to for MJ1.

Long run time, football games, and early shopping = less time for adults to go check it out

Conversely that might mean a really good Friday jump

Please, for the love of God, just click the links I posted above.

If you can't clearly see that adult movies have better holds on Thanksgiving than kids movies, then there's no helping you.

Please, for the love of God, just click the links I posted above.

If you can't clearly see that adult movies have better holds on Thanksgiving than kids movies, then there's no helping you.

I did and I hadn't prior since Im on my phone, no need to act so hostile. Lincoln is an interesting case of comparison here. But the dynamics of Thanksgiving are undoubtedly changing every year. And it's already weird that Interstellar had such a good Wed jump so I just have a feeling that means a deflated Thursday

That's what happens when you flood the market like they have. Despite what you feel about Pixar's recent quality, they've still remained successful by keeping it 1 movie a year. Same with current day WDAS. Hell, even Blue Sky and Sony have kept things mostly rigid. Sure you'll have a "Croods" and rake in some cash, but then you also have a Rise of the Guardians, a Peabody and Sherman, a Turbo. And even your GOOD movies like Dragon 2 won't even break out huge.

I couldn't believe this when I saw this, but Penguins is Dreamworks Animation's THIRTIETH film. Their first one was Antz, not that long ago. Meanwhile Pixar has still yet to release their fifteenth film and they've been around longer.

No wonder DWA is circling the drain.

DWA started doing two films a year every other year although that did include films from Aardman but that relationship went sour when Flushed Away. Two films a year should be the maximum, you're hurting yourself and the competition when you get to three a year

• Like 1