grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

I was in Hall H when they premiered the Kick-Ass footage.  One of the only times in ten years I've seen that room give a standing ovation for a non-Star Wars or Marvel celeb entrance, and only time for footage.  The hype was crazy hot off SDCC and it opened to 19M.  Scott Pilgrim vs the World was wonderful, hella geeky, and only opened to 10M.  I'm glad that the fanboys are hyped, but let's remember they premiered it to its target audience.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

I was in Hall H when they premiered the Kick-Ass footage.  One of the only times in ten years I've seen that room give a standing ovation for a non-Star Wars or Marvel celeb entrance, and only time for footage.  The hype was crazy hot off SDCC and it opened to 19M.  Scott Pilgrim vs the World was wonderful, hella geeky, and only opened to 10M.  I'm glad that the fanboys are hyped, but let's remember they premiered it to its target audience.

1 hour ago, Porthos said:

I might as well be 'that guy' this time:

I am NOT posting these tweets to be negative.  Honest!  But I am posting them because World Premieres are already hype crazy events that by their nature generate an atmosphere of good will.  

THIS one, seems to be turning it up to 11.

So just keep this in mind if the reactions are gaga.  They might be right.  They might in fact be the consensus view.

And the folks here might also be jacked up on Hype Endorphins. :lol:

Regarless, if the buzz is good, it's nothing but a positive for the prospects of RPO.  But let's just try to keep a little perspective if the reaction is very good. :)

(and, yes, this is something I have to force myself to remember on SW premiere nights :lol:)

Still, as I said, good buzz is always welcome. ;)

1 minute ago, captainwondyful said:

This movie seems like it's just narrowing into a niche bracket more and more with everything we hear about it. Never known that to pay off big at the box office, but we'll see. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

Verge

I was waiting for her comment given the subtext of her earlier comment.  Might be able to win over some skeptics then, as I've seen a few similar reactions:

Not perfect, some issues, great thrill ride nonetheless.

In short: A old-fashioned summer popcorn flick.

Kinda like the type a certain director is famous for. :thinking:

Just now, Zakiyyah6 said:

I love how some are trying to spin these early reactions are worrisome. Good early reactions for a film that is the internet whipping boy is never worrisome. It's encouraging. 

Yes, I will say that even though it went into a very favorable crowd, the near hostility that a portion of the internet had for this film recently could have poisoned the well enough to give the film a tepid response no matter what the venue.

So on the score of 'resetting the narrative' this only helps.  Time will tell if it actually lasts or helps enough.

Either that or the LOUD VOICES on the internet were just the passing fancy of a vocal minority.  Like that's ever happened before on the internet. :lol:

• Like 1