Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

No, that would have been a just fantastic and true science fiction ending.

Setting up for the bizzare premise in the sequel and our imaginations wild.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0078748/trivia

It's in the trivia. He's discussed it in numerous interviews too.

Ridley Scott reportedly said that originally he wanted a much darker ending. He planned on having the alien bite off Ripley's head in the escape shuttle, sit in her chair, and then start speaking with her voice in a message to Earth. Apparently, 20th Century Fox wasn't too pleased with such a dark ending.

He also said Prometheus has the DNA of Alien but none of the subsequent alien films.

Meaning that Queen isn't canon. Alien is a perfect intelligent viral organism. The apex of posthumanism.

How in the hell would that have made sense with what we saw of the alien until then.  All of a sudden he eats her head and can pilot a ship?

He killed everyone else on board, so I guess he could make repairs to the ship along the way too?  He killed enough that by the end I suppose he could have talked to her.  Given her a monologue about how the time of humans is at an end?

:rolleyes:

• Like 3

That original ending idea Scott had for Alien would have been god-awful and completely out of sync with the rest of the film. The Alien is nothing more than an incredibly capable predator, just like the shark from Jaws.

It'd have been like if in Jurassic Park the velociraptors gained human intelligence after eating human brains, killed off everyone, and then sent an oral message in English to Costa Rica saying 'THIS IS OUR ISLAND!!!!!"

Edited by 4815162342

Lost would have been great w/o Jate and last season. I fuckin hate Jate. Worst TV couple ever, ZERO charisma and chemistry. Ugh. Skate 4Eva!

Kate ended up being pretty weak overall, yeah (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the writers admitted it was a character they never were able to make work). Jack got annoying as the seasons progressed, but part of that is inherently you need the straight guy to be a doubter, and it's usually a thankless role. I thought how they wrapped his character up was great.

• Like 2

Kate ended up being pretty weak overall, yeah (I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the writers admitted it was a character they never were able to make work). Jack got annoying as the seasons progressed, but part of that is inherently you need the straight guy to be a doubter, and it's usually a thankless role. I thought how they wrapped his character up was great.

Jate was wrong because Skate had everything a couple should have - scorching chemistry and compatible perosnalities. But because Jate had neither and writers were bent on getting them together they started to mis-write Kate as a tri polar character who couldn`t decide whether she was a mom or a warrior or a fuck-up and who always looked like she was going to sneeze and was doing stupid things for no reason other than to be shoehorned in the story. Hence why the triangle got tiresome, Kate hated and Jack annoying as fuck. Sawyer is the only one that came out of the mess with dignity and that`s in large part thanks to Holloway being a superior actor.

Jate was wrong because Skate had everything a couple should have - scorching chemistry and compatible perosnalities. But because Jate had neither and writers were bent on getting them together they started to mis-write Kate as a tri polar character who couldn`t decide whether she was a mom or a warrior or a fuck-up and who always looked like she was going to sneeze and was doing stupid things for no reason other than to be shoehorned in the story. Hence why the triangle got tiresome, Kate hated and Jack annoying as fuck. Sawyer is the only one that came out of the mess with dignity and that`s in large part thanks to Holloway being a superior actor.

But even early on, there were signs that the Kate character just wasn't working out. She was interesting for the first couple of episodes, but didn't work as a bad-ass fugitive (and her backstory ended up weak, though they sure tried hard to get it to work). With a cast that large, it's inevitable that some characters are going to fall flat -- and perhaps the mistake was trying to keep her a major character even though there wasn't enough interesting stuff there to warrant it (I know there are Jack/Kate peeps, I'm sure they wanted more, but whatever.)

But even early on, there were signs that the Kate character just wasn't working out. She was interesting for the first couple of episodes, but didn't work as a bad-ass fugitive (and her backstory ended up weak, though they sure tried hard to get it to work). With a cast that large, it's inevitable that some characters are going to fall flat -- and perhaps the mistake was trying to keep her a major character even though there wasn't enough interesting stuff there to warrant it (I know there are Jack/Kate peeps, I'm sure they wanted more, but whatever.)

She should have bene killed off early on, period, just like damn Lori Grimes in Walking Dead. two of the worst female characters on TV ever, not counting Smash.