Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

You can't fill your list with films no one's heard of. I think that's actually illegal, and if it's not, then when I'm President it will definitely be illegal.  :ph34r:

These are hardly unknown! :lol: Granted, MEEK'S CUTOFF is probably the most obscure, but c'mon, it stars Michelle Williams.

• Like 3

These are hardly unknown! :lol: Granted, MEEK'S CUTOFF is probably the most obscure, but c'mon, it stars Michelle Williams.

Meek's Cutoff - $1M

Kon-Tiki - $1.5M

We Are The Best! - $0.2M

You're right, so many people saw these.  :P

Well, maybe it's just me who hasn't heard of these three. I can't complain though, you're opening my eyes to new films :) and I might actually watch The Rover now since you say it's good. I kind of wrote it off since it stars Robert Pattinson.

• Like 3

Meek's Cutoff - $1M

Kon-Tiki - $1.5M

We Are The Best! - $0.2M

You're right, so many people saw these.  :P

Well, maybe it's just me who hasn't heard of these three. I can't complain though, you're opening my eyes to new films :) and I might actually watch The Rover now since you say it's good. I kind of wrote it off since it stars Robert Pattinson.

I thought Pattinson was pretty good in THE ROVER, actually. He was a pleasant surprise. KON-TIKI was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar, and WE ARE THE BEST! got a fair amount of press -- even among geek bloggers -- when it came out (Moodysson is a well-known director in indie circles).

(don't worry, the next batch should be familiar to everyone.)

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

#45: The Fighter (2010)

written by: Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson

directed by: David O. Russell

fighter.jpg

A sports drama about a Boston boxer and his efforts to win a world title. This is a fun, entertaining romp, anchored by great acting across the board. Wahlberg stars as Micky Ward and is his usual appealing self; Amy Adams is wonderful as his stalwart girlfriend, and Bale, in particular, is a standout as Wahlberg’s brother.

• Like 12

I thought Pattinson was pretty good in THE ROVER, actually. He was a pleasant surprise. KON-TIKI was nominated for a Best Foreign Film Oscar, and WE ARE THE BEST! got a fair amount of press -- even among geek bloggers -- when it came out (Moodysson is a well-known director in indie circles).

(don't worry, the next batch should be familiar to everyone.)

I think he's a surprisingly good actor, it's just most of the films he gets seem to be quite bad imo.

Tele's list is far more mainstream than lisa's. You're not going to see a 2-minute short about nothing on this one.

I know, I wasn't being serious. :)

• Like 2

#44: Rango (2011)

written by: John Logan

directed by: Gore Verbinski

rango.jpg

A surreal absurdist mashup of a western, featuring Depp as the titular lizard. Animation frees up Verbinksi to do what he’s best at: complicated and extravagant action sequences that pay homage to countless films from earlier generations. Likewise, it frees up Depp and lets him explore his fondness for bizarre caricature; Rango comes across as a amphibian Buster Keaton. A real love for Westerns is on display here.

• Like 9

You can't fill your list with films no one's heard of. I think that's actually illegal, and if it's not, then when I'm President it will definitely be illegal.  :ph34r:

I like it when they aren't very well known, gives me insight on weather i might want to see them, there are definitely going to be some films not many people have heard of on mine. 

• Like 1

Is Rango really that good?

Also, will you be able to appreciate it if you haven't seen westerns?

I like it when they aren't very well known, gives me insight on weather i might want to see them, there are definitely going to be some films not many people have heard of on mine. 

Yep, agreed. :)

These lists are really boring if they're full of mainstream stuff (though obviously it's fine to put those movies on the list if you think they're deserving of it)

Edited by tree jumped out a window
  • Like 2

These lists are really boring if they're full of mainstream stuff (though obviously it's fine to put those movies on the list if you think they're deserving of it)

Rango is awful imo. and yeah there is going to be a lot of mainstream stuff on mine too.

• Like 1

Obviously I think Rango is fucking awesome and I haven't watched many Westerns. It's hilarious the characters and story are great, so yes you can appreciate Rango and not be a fan of Westerns.

I would advise you give it at least one try. ( though it was one film that I certainly appreciated more after multiple viewings)

Edited by Ethan Hunt

#43: The Raid 2: Berandal (2014)

written and directed by: Gareth Evans

the_raid_2.jpg

The first RAID was a tense, claustrophobic movie that was nothing but action: hardly any backstory, hardly any character arcs. With the sequel, Gareth Evans went in the completely opposite direction: this is a huge, sprawling crime saga, with dozens of supporting characters, many with their own individual arcs, and a plot that’s labyrinthian. To top it all off, it tops the action in the first film in almost every way: bigger, more variety, different environments. It’s overlong and a little too convoluted for its own good, but the action… my god, the action. Puts every Hollywood blockbuster to shame.

• Like 9

#42: Drug War (2013)

written by: Ka-Fai Wai, Nai-Hoi Yau, Ryker Chan, Xi Yu

directed by: Johnnie To

Drug-War-Movie-2013-Poster2.jpg

Johnny To’s known for his wild, extravagant, and poetic action films, but for this movie he (mostly) dials it down. It plays something like a Hong Kong version of HEAT… a stone-faced cop hunting down a drug ring by using a captured mid-level drug lord and coercing him into betraying his friends and family. It’s also a clever indictment of China’s current war-on-drugs. Honglei Sun is great as the methodical cop.

• Like 3

#41: Looper (2012)

written and directed by: Rian Johnson

l_1276104_2c33193a.jpg

Clever and cool, this is the story of a hitman who assassinates targets sent back through time from the future…. until one day when the target is himself. This is a bold and ambitious movie and Rian Johnson mostly pulls it off, though there are a few aspects that feel a tad underdeveloped given their importance to the climactic moments. But I’ll always forgive a few missteps when the ambition is there.

• Like 8

#40: The Dark Knight Rises (2012)

written and directed by: Christopher Nolan

l_1345836_a7e751aa.jpg

Nolan’s Batfilms are often described as “dark and gritty” or intended to be “realistic”, but I think both those descriptions miss the point. They’re really operatic — operating on a utterly unrealistic but very-much-heightened sense of reality. Like opera, they’re about the big picture… if you look close and examine for realism, you’ll be disappointed, but that’s not really the intent. Like Nolan’s last several blockbuster movies, this feels like a 4-hour epic shoehorned into a much shorter length (with all the narrative shortcuts that implies), thematic depth is more or less limited to Big Ideas 101, and the movie basically bludgeons you into submission with 15/70 IMAX and Hans Zimmer’s score making your ears bleed. But TDKR is given a huge and welcome lift by two actors: Anne Hathaway as Catwoman and (more significantly) Tom Hardy as Bane, whose performance is basically the greatest Bond villain ever showing up in a Batman movie.

• Like 9