John Marston

Friday, Dec. 26 Box Office: Hobbit 15.6, Unbroken 12.3, ITW 12.2, NATM 7.4 (full BOM weekend #s on p14)

From wiki:

In January 1952, Turing, then 39, started a relationship with Arnold Murray, a 19-year-old unemployed man. Turing met Murray just before Christmas outside the Regal Cinema when walking down Manchester's Oxford Road and had invited him to lunch. On 23 January Turing's house was burgled. Murray told Turing that the burglar was an acquaintance of his, and Turing reported the crime to the police. During the investigation he acknowledged a sexual relationship with Murray. Homosexual acts were criminal offences in the United Kingdom at that time,[102] and both men were charged with gross indecency under Section 11 of the Criminal Law Amendment Act 1885.[103] Initial committal proceedings for the trial occurred on 27 February, where Turing's solicitor "reserved his defence".The Tom Daley/Dustin Lance Black teas though :ph34r:

I think he referred during his time in Bletchley Park. Turing wrote to a friend it was a "sexual desert". I wouldn't have any problem with fictional scenes, tho. It's a fictional film!

I read the biography. It's very good but it actually doesn't center too much in his gay relationships. The "romance" with Murray is described in like two pages and I don't remember other romance in it (apart of Christopher who in in the film). The book has 800 pages or more. It has also a lot of mathematics in it!

Edited by Ogsean77
  • Like 1

I haven't seen TIG yet but I think it was a perfect opportunity for Hollywood to take that step forward and portray a gay relationship as a meaningful part of the story (which it was in real life).

I mean we're in 2015 now, it'll be 10 years since Brokeback Mountain, are we still in a stage of stepping on eggshells to appease homophobes just because it's the easier thing to do?

I think its because most straight people, including big gay rights supporters, find man on man action icky whereas everyone doesn't mind dat girl on girl action... I bet even hardcore evangelical Christians secretly love that shit.  Seriously, just look at how often you see girl on girl action in movies / TV, its not that rare.  There is unquestionably a double standard when it comes to gay men and lesbian/bisexual women in the entertainment business.

• Like 2

I think its because most straight people, including big gay rights supporters, find man on man action icky whereas everyone doesn't mind dat girl on girl action... I bet even hardcore evangelical Christians secretly love that shit.  Seriously, just look at how often you see girl on girl action in movies / TV, its not that rare.  There is unquestionably a double standard when it comes to gay men and lesbian/bisexual women in the entertainment business.

Yea but that's also a cultural thing, female sexuality is so much more flaunted everywhere in media than male sexuality. I think by normalizing male/male relationships through depictions in movies, like this one could have done, is one of the vital steps necessary to reduce that double standard.

• Like 1

There's hardly any blockbuster or big budget or even high profile Oscar type movies with realistic representation of the gay community (or any representation at all). It's always relegated to the indie and foreign dramas that nobody sees. In this regard television is 10,000x more progressive and forward thinking (see; How to Get Away With Murder, one of the main characters just happens to be gay and they portray that in a real way including sex scenes without making a fuss about his gayness).

If it's true that Turing had gay relationships then I find it very disappointing for the film to ignore or gloss over that, because it's a big part of someone's life and especially back then.

• Like 2

Considering the LoK finale, it's kind of embarassing that prestige Hollywood pulled behind a young adult's cartoon.

Yup.

Yea but that's also a cultural thing, female sexuality is so much more flaunted everywhere in media than male sexuality. I think by normalizing male/male relationships through depictions in movies, like this one could have done, is one of the vital steps necessary to reduce that double standard.

No. Women are sexualized more, but men are allowed to have sexual agency. So much narrative about lesbians is how they only need some "good D" to get them fixed up. While there's the view that girl on girl is hot, it's nearly always presented in terms of appealing for straight men. And the women involved are described as experimenting and not really gay. (To say nothing of the belief that bisexuals don't exist, period.)

• Like 2

IDK, I find this to be less and less true with younger straight women, especially the ones who've been online for much of their lives, they like guy-on-guy for the same shallow reasons, maybe they do a bit more fanfic writing and real-person shipping than men do. But TIG is an Oscar movie, it has to cater to voters who couldn't deal with Brokeback. If it were a TV movie, they would have more freedom in the area of sexuality, which really doesn't say much for the movie industry, which in the late 1960s/1970s was all about being groundbreaking and seems to have regressed in some ways.

• Like 1

IDK, I find this to be less and less true with younger straight women, especially the ones who've been online for much of their lives, they like guy-on-guy for the same shallow reasons, maybe they do a bit more fanfic writing and real-person shipping than men do. But TIG is an Oscar movie, it has to cater to voters who couldn't deal with Brokeback. If it were a TV movie, they would have more freedom in the area of sexuality, which really doesn't say much for the movie industry, which in the late 1960s/1970s was all about being groundbreaking and seems to have regressed in some ways.

Are they still the same Oscar people as 10 years ago though? Haven't some of them been... replaced yet? :ph34r:

• Like 1

Are they still the same Oscar people as 10 years ago though? Haven't some of them been... replaced yet? :ph34r:

True, a couple of the stars who openly refused to watch Brokeback are...no longer with us, but a 2012 study showed that the median age of AMPAS members was 62, with only 14% of the membership being under 50. And some of these over-70 guys are like Scorcese making WoWS, but then you have a nun watching her screeners with the sisters in the abbey. You're probably right that a movie being "too gay" would be less objectionable now than it was in 2005, but does a director/studio want to bet on the progressiveness of Oscar voters? I can see why they wouldn't, even though I think it's the wrong call creatively and will seem like a worse move 10 years in the rearview mirror.

• Like 1

Top thr Engagements 
26-28/12
1-Pac Arclight Hollywood, Los Angeles CA       (AS)
2-AMC Northpark 15, Dallas TX                       (AS)
3-CPLX Scotiabank Chinook, Calgary AB       (BOFA)
4-El Capitan, Hollywood CA                            (ITW)
5-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY              (ITW)
6-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY  (AS)
7-Regal Union Square 14, New York City          (AS)
8-AMC Empire 25, New York City NY               (BOFA)
9-CPLX Langley, Langley BC                           (BOFA)
10-Regal Atlantic Station 18, Atlanta GA          (Selma)
11-CS Warren 14, Moore OK                           (BOFA)
12-CPLX South Edmonton common 16, Edmonton AB (BOFA)
--
13-CPLX North Edmonton 14, Edmonton AB       (BOFA)
14-AMC Alderwood 16, Lynnwood WA               (BOFA)
15-CPLX Scotiabank Edmonton, Edmonton AB (BOFA)
16-CPLX Silvercity Riverport 18, Richmond BC  (BOFA)
17-CPLX Scotiabank 9 Vancouver BC                 (BOFA)
18-AMC Garden State 16, Paramus NJ               (ITW)
19-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY   (BOFA)
20-AMC Downtown Disney 24, Orlando FL          (ITW)
--
21-CPLX Brossard 16, Brossard QC                (BOFA)
22-AMC Metreon 16, San Francisco CA           (BOFA)
23-CPLX Queensway 18, Etobivoke ON         (BOFA)
24-AMC Lincoln Square 13, New York City NY (ITW)
25-AMC Tysons Corner 16, Mclean VA           (BOFA)

Wow, those Canadians sure love their Hobbitses.

• Like 1