Hernan Gonzalez

Minions OS Thread | 1 BILLION WW CROSSED!! | 6m weekend | $811.4m OS total

Global Box Office Report:

Minions grossed $22.8 million (-13%) this weekend from 57 overseas territories for an international total of $785.3 million and a worldwide total of $1.118 billion. Universal’s global animated hit jumped over MI5 to take the weekend crown in China with $19.4 million for an 8-day total of $49.8 million. Despite performing under expectations, Minions will pass the lifetime gross of Despicable Me 2 ($53 million) sometime this week. 

Calm down. There are not masterpieces in top 10 right now either. There are some good films and others which are not so good. I think Minions is not in top 100 animated films ever, but we could say it is decent. And people seem to love those little bastards. Blame the good marketing, which is the main responsible of this success.

I loved DM1 (which had a great story and lovely characters) and also DM2, despite the annoying little yellows, but Minions is a totally useless s**t, both for DM franchise that for itself (damn! and I wasted my internet connection to download it). It's only good (and very expensive) marketing. Frozen, instead, is first astounding, wonderful, lovable animation then, obviously, stellar marketing.

• Like 1

I loved DM1 (which had a great story and lovely characters) and also DM2, despite the annoying little yellows, but Minions is a totally useless s**t, both for DM franchise that for itself (damn! and I wasted my internet connection to download it). It's only good (and very expensive) marketing. Frozen, instead, is first astounding, wonderful, lovable animation then, obviously, stellar marketing.

I find the whole franchise of Despicable/Minions decent but forgettable. I did not like too much both DM films and I do not get the charme of Minions. Probably little children can find them more friendly. In that way, as a secondaire character, I prefer, by far, Scrat, from Ice Age. And I do not think that Scrat is enough to make a film. So I think the same for Minions. But the marketing has been so good that people have gone like crazy.

The thing is, with Finding Dory.......it's a sequel to Pixar's second highest grossing film, Finding Nemo, which made $380M DOM & $936M WW as of today.

And with IO performing better than what everyone expected, (now at $353M DOM and $761M WW), there is always a chance for Dory to be an even bigger hit, since Nemo was so intensly popular at the time. I mean...at the time, Finding Nemo outgrossed The Lion King to become the highest animated grosser produced by Pixar/Disney. (even though, 8-9 years later, TLK would take that rank back)

This could similarly happen to Dory as well. With Japanese audience still loving Pixar-films as usual, Chinese audience starting to love Pixar films, more and more. Pixar is still a strong animation brand.

And if Minions could not top Frozen, despite okay to decent WOM, i think FD with a much better WOM & nostalgia...will.

Edited by MrFanaticGuy34
  • Like 1

The thing is, with Finding Dory.......it's a sequel to Pixar's second highest grossing film, Finding Nemo, which made $380M DOM & $936M WW as of today.

And with IO performing better than what everyone expected, (now at $353M DOM and $761M WW), there is always a chance for Dory to be an even bigger hit, since Nemo was so intensly popular at the time. I mean...at the time, Finding Nemo outgrossed The Lion King to become the highest animated grosser produced by Pixar/Disney. (even though, 8-9 years later, TLK would take that rank back)

This could similarly happen to Dory as well. With Japanese audience still loving Pixar-films as usual, Chinese audience starting to love Pixar films, more and more. Pixar is still a strong animation brand.

And if Minions could not top Frozen, despite okay to decent WOM, i think FD with a much better WOM & nostalgia...will.

The thing is, FD has to be better than MU, otherwise I don't see it beating Frozen. But I have faith in Stanton, he will deliver a satisfying story.
  • Like 1

How are the chances for this to reach 1,2B? None?

Unfortunately, the chance is pretty much zero. China is the only market left making any real money, and it's got about $25 million left over there. Best case scenario would be hitting $1.15 billion, which would still require very good legs in China from this point. Its final gross will probably end slightly under that.

Edited by KP1025

OS actual total: 786m

Universal and Illumination’s devoted henchmen continue doing the studios’ bidding with an estimated $23.5M (up from $22.8M in the estimate) in 55 territories this frame. The international total is now $785.9M. Combined with the U.S. total of $332.8M, the worldwide box office is $1.119B. In continued play in ChinaMinions is the No. 1 film with $19.5M in the frame.  It opened in the Middle Kingdom last Sunday and has taken $50M to date. It will pass the $53M lifetime of Despicable Me 2 after only 8 days in release in the Middle Kingdom. Greece is the last remaining market to open on September 24.

DEADLINE

I think it's going to be higher, like 1.2 - 1.25b WW. Of course, it's all in China's hands.

I think Frozen is safe WW, but sadly, with Minions doing much better than expected in SK and Japan, the OS record of $880m is starting to look in danger.

Again, of course, depending in how good it does in China.

I knew it was all in China's hands. Now this will not break Frozen's overseas record.

• Like 1

Box Office Mojo has just updated Minions gross in the UAE (the-numbers.com doesn't have it updated since July 30th).

The film grossed 4.55m USD in the country making it the highest grossing animated film of all time there, both in local currency and USD as well as in admissions. Also Furious 7 crossed 10m in the UAE beating Avatar and MI4 as the highest grossing film ever in the country's BO.

Interestingly the 2nd highest animated film of all time in the UAE is Madagascar 3 with 4.0m. Only 2 animated films in UAE history have crossed 4m: Minions and Madagascar.

Then comes DM2 with 3.2m and Frozen with the same amount.

Home grossed 2.1m this year and IO has grossed 1.93m so far since its early August debut.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 2

The thing is, FD has to be better than MU, otherwise I don't see it beating Frozen. But I have faith in Stanton, he will deliver a satisfying story.

As Minions box office story teach us, the current cinema market and exchange rate make virtually impossible for any animated to beat Frozen worldwide, if at least they don't get 150/200M$ in China (or in another country outside USA).

Look at this numbers:

WW gross for macro-region (M$)

Minions Frozen

North America    335    400    -65

Europe           355    340     15

Asia             190    430   -240

Latin America    220     90    130

Rest of World     20     15      5

Total           1120   1275   -155

Despite Minions is exceptional in Latin America and very strong in NA and Europe, the difference in Asia is too large without a market of at least 200M$ (Japan or China).

• Like 1

As Minions box office story teach us, the current cinema market and exchange rate make virtually impossible for any animated to beat Frozen worldwide, if at least they don't get 150/200M$ in China (or in another country outside USA).

Look at this numbers:

WW gross for macro-region (M$)

Minions Frozen

North America    335    400    -65

Europe           355    340     15

Asia             190    430   -240

Latin America    220     90    130

Rest of World     20     15      5

Total           1120   1275   -155

Despite Minions is exceptional in Latin America and very strong in NA and Europe, the difference in Asia is too large without a market of at least 200M$ (Japan or China).

I agree with this. 

Minions will end up 130m less than Frozen. And that's only due to that 200m in a big market (Japan and/or China). Frozen's WW total without Japan was 1.02 billion (less than Minions) yet it beat Minions because of that breakout in Japan.

If Dory wants more than Frozen, it has to break out in China or more likely Japan with at least 120m.

Edited by MinaTakla

I agree with this. 

Minions will end up 130m less than Frozen. And that's only due to that 200m in a big market (Japan and/or China). Frozen's WW total without Japan was 1.02 billion (less than Minions) yet it beat Minions because of that breakout in Japan.

If Dory wants more than Frozen, it has to break out in China or more likely Japan with at least 120m.

Being true that Frozen's enormous success is located in US+Japan+SK ($730m), you should not forget that Minions has had another advantages like an enormous inflation in South America. I do not know how many admissions Minions and Frozen have sold in Venezuela but Frozen was over DM2 in 2013 ($12m vs $10m) and, magically, Minions has surpassed $50m just 1 one year and a half later.

The fact that one single market can make tons of money for a film does not minimize the success. With that reasoning I can say that F7 or JW are less global than Minions or Frozen because with just 2 markets (US+China) both films have grossed $740m and $880m, respectively. Another thing is exchange rates. With that barometer, Frozen and Minions are practically equal.

Being true that Frozen's enormous success is located in US+Japan+SK ($730m), you should not forget that Minions has had another advantages like an enormous inflation in South America. I do not know how many admissions Minions and Frozen have sold in Venezuela but Frozen was over DM2 in 2013 ($12m vs $10m) and, magically, Minions has surpassed $50m just 1 one year and a half later.

The fact that one single market can make tons of money for a film does not minimize the success. With that reasoning I can say that F7 or JW are less global than Minions or Frozen because with just 2 markets (US+China) both films have grossed $740m and $880m, respectively. Another thing is exchange rates. With that barometer, Frozen and Minions are practically equal.

It doesn't minimize success but it does making it very hard for an animated film to exceed Frozen... so Dory needs to be huge globally and then hit big in China and/or Japan. Even if Minions and Frozen were equal on an exchange rate, Minions ended up 130m less than Frozen and that's due to the China/Japan mix.

Well, it is very hard to overtake Avatar because it had incredible exchange rates and an incredible 3D ratio. And in 2000 we only had one billion grosser and now we have over 20. At the end, inflation works. And if it is not Dory, it will another thing which will beat Frozen as highest animated grosser. Anyway, it is not the biggest attended animated film ever. In order to do that, an animated film has to make quite more than Frozen's gross.

Edited by peludo

Yay! It's official:

By Wednesday September 23rd, MINIONS is now the TENTH HIGHEST GROSSING FILM OF ALL TIME WW!

SCREENDAILY: Universal Pictures International executives reported that Universal and Illumination’s Minions has grossed $791.7m.

333M DOM by Tuesday + 791.7m by Wednesday = 1.124.7 billion - kicking out Transformers 3 from the all-time top 10 (with 1.123.8 billion)!

A huge achievement for an animated film, let alone a spin-off that played out like a direct sequel to DM2.

Despite relatively lower grosses in China than expected, the film should hit 800m OS in a few days and will become the second animated film in history to cross 800m.

http://www.screendaily.com/box-office/hotel-transylvania-2-to-open-in-35-territories/5094587.article?blocktitle=INTERNATIONAL-BOX-OFFICE-NEWS&contentID=40079

• Like 1

HIGHEST GROSSING FILMS OF ALL TIME WW

Titanic $2,186,772,302 - 1997

Jurassic World Dagger-14-plain.png $1,659,480,868 - 2015 

The Avengers $1,519,557,910 - 2012

Furious 7 $1,511,726,205 - 2015 

Avengers: Age of Ultron $1,402,382,882 - 2015 

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 2 $1,341,511,219 - 2011 

Frozen $1,279,852,693 - 2013 

Iron Man 3 $1,215,439,994 - 2013 

Minions $1,124,700,000 - 2015

Edited by MinaTakla