baumer

Baumer's/Tele's/Chas' 25 films that have brainwashed people into mindless adulation (Tele pg 26)

Spider man 2! Spider man 2! How dare you disgrace the greatest superhero movie of all time in that way!

But the Dark Knight isn't on that- Oh wait.

• Like 2

Weirdly, I'm actually 5 for 5 with Tele's list. (Not seen the Graduate, Prince of Thieves, Scarface or any Judd Apatow (directed) movies.)

Admittedly, I do still like the films mentioned, but I agree with Tele in saying they're overrated and I completely agree with his reasoning (even for TDK which is one of my favourites of all time).

• Like 2

16. Mrs. Doubtfire

MPW-37121.jpg

Schmaltzy. Insipid. Puerile. Hammy. Directed with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the jaw. One of those movies where characters act beyond all logic just to fit the loopiness of the plot. Robin Williams is always good when doing wild impersonations and letting it all out there, but it's a pretty one-note performance, and the only redeeming quality in this festering pile of steaming dung.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

19. The Dark Knight

Nolan manages to end on a high note, which is why I think most people tend to forget, ignore, or forgive the awkwardness.

Something I've been thinking about recently is how Nolan seems to know perfectly how to end his movies. Most of them have an extremely memorable final shot/moment. It makes his comment about how real movies don't have post-credits scenes or whatever make a lot more sense.

17. The Graduate

I remember seeing a list many, many years ago about the greatest/most memorable lines in movie history. "Plastics!" was one of them, but I really don't get it. It must have been another "before my time" moment.

• Like 1

16. Mrs. Doubtfire

MPW-37121.jpg

Schmaltzy. Insipid. Puerile. Hammy. Directed with all the subtlety of a sledgehammer to the jaw. One of those movies where characters act beyond all logic just to fit the loopiness of the plot. Robin Williams is always good when doing wild impersonations and letting it all out there, but it's a pretty one-note performance, and the only redeeming quality in this festering pile of steaming dung.

You're such a bitter joyless old man.

• Like 2

This is very much a spur-of-the-moment list and it's almost certain that if I were to do it again at a different time, the order might be somewhat different and even some other films might make an appearance. Here are a couple more that were under heavy consideration and didn't quite make the cut this time:

A Beautiful Mind

Star Trek (2009)

The Sound of Music

Men in Black

Independence Day

Don't you dare bring independence day into this.

• Like 3

16. Mrs. Doubtfire

MPW-37121.jpg

Are you just trying to ruin my childhood?

In the words of Robin Williams, Pur pa pa pur pa pa pur pa pa piss off tele

Edited by jessie
  • Like 1

Mrs. Doubtfire is a decent movie. Haven't seen it in years though. (Though the fancy restaurant they go to? It's in my hometown. The rest of the world probably assumed that it was actually IN San Francisco.)

Williams did other, much more schmaltzy, insipid, puerile, hammy, directed-with-all-the-subtlety-of-sledgehammer-to-the-jaw movies. Cases in point: Jack, Patch Adams.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1