CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

I saw an interview with kevin hart on the red carpet saying he'd love to host. 10 bucks says they get him for next year. although the academy are pretty slow on this kinda stuff so don't expect him to host until the 2022 oscars I guess?

If he hosts, id actually watch it. I'd still prefer Ricky Gervais to host though, watching him slate everyone at the golden globes 3 years in a row was entertaining as hell. He's a little too over the top for the Oscars though

Why are those that hate the Oscars the ones so active in this thread? 

Also, maybe it's just me, but you can tell those that are sexist/misogynistic from their posts. Perhaps sometimes they seem alright, but in the long run, the same set of posters are always exposed. I could be wrong, but it's been incredibly easy so far to distinguish those that will eventually turn out to be trollish in nature. 

• Like 1

Great and we just got Blank to calm down.

I don't know what constitutes being "calm". I think I have very good reason to be unhappy about it. I'd hoped the Oscars were on a road to positive evolution since they expanded the BP nominee pool but snubbing what is widely considered one of if not the best animated film of the year confirms once and for all that that optimism is futile. There's no real structural changes they could've made to help get Lego the attention it deserved; it's clearly an issue within the minds of the organization now (and those anonymous THR voters certainly don't help to improve that image)

Edited by tribefan695

another snub Miles Teller for best actor. 

it should have been:

Miles Teller 

Michael Keaton 

Jack Gyllenhaal 

maybe Bradley Cooper

and I haven't seen the other two. but you could easily take out Cumberbatch. in fact I could probably name 20 actors who were better than him this year.

it should have been:

Miles Teller 

Michael Keaton 

Jack Gyllenhaal 

maybe Bradley Cooper

and I haven't seen the other two. but you could easily take out Cumberbatch. in fact I could probably name 20 actors who were better than him this year.

The Best Actor nominees should've been Keaton, Redmayne, Gyllenhaal, Oyelowo and either Carell or Cumberbatch. Bradley Cooper was pretty much average in American Sniper.

After rewatching some clips of the show, I just got one comment on the actual ceremony: the stretch from the Glory performance to Alexandre Desplat winning was freaking amazing, really. Glory was heartfelt; Common/John Legend winning had the best speech of the night; Gaga's performance was astounding; and then Julie Andrews charmed everyone.

Shame the rest of the show wasn't up to that standard, but that was a real half hour long highpoint of maybe the past few years of Oscar broadcasts.

• Like 1

it should have been:

Miles Teller 

Michael Keaton 

Jack Gyllenhaal 

maybe Bradley Cooper

you're missing a black guy

After rewatching some clips of the show, I just got one comment on the actual ceremony: the stretch from the Glory performance to Alexandre Desplat winning was freaking amazing, really. Glory was heartfelt; Common/John Legend winning had the best speech of the night; Gaga's performance was astounding; and then Julie Andrews charmed everyone.

Shame the rest of the show wasn't up to that standard, but that was a real half hour long highpoint of maybe the past few years of Oscar broadcasts.

Yeah, that was the best part of the show.

After a day, yeah, I kinda have to admit I went overboard. In fact, now I feel kinda bad for Birdman because I know it's gonna go through a lot of unnecessary hate (some of which I threw at it already, but even more) just because it beat Boyhood. My real issue is that Innaritu walked away with three Oscars... I mean, why? Why can't they spread the love?

But I digress. I have a movie I'll watch later tonight to cheer me up, and who knows? Maybe Boyhood 2 will sweep in a few years.

Birdman won't deal with much gruff aside from maybe a few forums on the interwebs and some mumblecore circles. Aside from Sniper, very few saw any of the nominees, especially Birdman, Theory Of Everything, Boyhood and Whiplash.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

And in my honest opinion, Boyhood is head and shoulders better than Birdman and every Best Picture winner since The Hurt Locker. But I guarantee you no one here wants me to go on about this so I'll be quiet and get over it.

(And honestly, my issue isn't with Boyhood losing Picture; it's more that it didn't take at least Director.)

I'm just glad Linklater managed to release five or six other movies that're head and shoulders above his little twelve year hobby during filming it. I kind of liked it. I definitely respected it. And, generally, I love Linklater. But, man, it's possibly the movie I like least in his entire filmography. After a second viewing, I dropped my grade to C+/B-. Just not my tempo I guess...

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

Yeah, I mean, if the Academy had a Best Picture slate that was...

American Sniper

LEGO Movie

Dawn Of The Planet Of Apes OR Interstellar

Gone Girl

Fault In Our Stars

Grand Budapest

Selma

Birdman

Boyhood

Whiplash

...and, a much better host, I bet it generates more interest. I assume that's what some are getting at here. A nice mixture of productions. I kind of wish they'd just nominate 10 instead of up to 10 but usually under 10. It's kind of silly.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

It's like Jessica Chastain and Kelly Reilly had a freakin' baby?! Yeah, my inner redhead sucker would totally hit that...Up until he releases his Abrasex.. :D

:lol: AW was legit just saying the exact same thing. Without last part of course :P

• Like 1

Just saw Theory of Everything. only one to go. this will I believe, be the first year I see every BP nominee.

I would rank them

Whiplash

Boyhood

Birdman

American Sniper

Grand Budapest Hotel 

The Imitation Game 

The Theory of Everything

Edited by Kalo