luna

Lisa's 50 BESTEST movies of the LUSTRUM

e1cahc.jpg

47. INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

Aleksandr Sokurov

catcatcatcayctaCAtctaytcaytcaytctatctctatcatctcatcatct

ahem

melancholy with a capital Q. rather likable due to excellent performances by mr puddlebottom and miss sunggleborf. on the other hand, it just feels...insubstantial. i suppose that could be rather the point, but it's pretty much just a quietly depressing but relatively insignificant reflection on autostasis. ok that's a terrible made up word. anyway the best word i can think to sum this film up is 'nice'.

60 points

Pretty much agree, I loved loved Oscar Isaac performance in this movie. but there wasn't really much else it had going for it, that Cat was cute too I guess   :P

Edited by Jedi Master Kalo
  • Like 2

Disquiet was ok. The last shot was pretty powerful.

Top 50 films of of the last 5 years powerful? I have a theory, I believe lisa hates all films therefore picking the shortest movies as her favourite makes a lot of sense.

• Like 5

I started to watch Disquiet on youtube and then realised it was a different short film called Disquiet.

I wouldn't personally count shorts in this list but hey, it's not my list. :)

I'm looking forward to the rest though.  B)

• Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mURuilTvizw

45. MALARIA

EDSON ODA

the second of four shorts. it's impressively drawn and about various things regarding death. currently sitting as my third favourite western, which i suppose says something about my feelings toward the genre.

60 points

• Like 1

frances-ha-580.jpg

44. FRANCES HA

NOAH BAUMBACH

i was fighting off the whimsy for much of the first half, but eventually i came to enjoy this tale of a slightly awkward post-college woman undergoing a minor life crisis. i felt heavy shades of francois truffaut, woody allen and the mumblecore scene while watching. the ending was touching but also rather contrived, cloying and out of step with the rest of the film.

60 points

• Like 3

Top 50 films of of the last 5 years powerful? I have a theory, I believe lisa hates all films therefore picking the shortest movies as her favourite makes a lot of sense.

1) No, not even close to Top 50 films of the last 5 years powerful. But hey, it's not my list.

2) Lisa and I disagree big time in terms of how to approach films, but I do think her opinion is valuable. At the very least, it always forces you to think.

Lisa, you're ruining your reputation (to me) as a tough cookie.

this one will restore it.

The-Secret-World-of-Arrietty-Wallpaper-f

43. THE SECRET WORLD OF ARRIETTY

HIROMASA YONEBAYASHI

i didn't find this to be really much worse than anything miyazaki's done. perhaps not as inventive as him, but they both feature simple and sentimental fantasy stories which are rather fun to watch.

60 points

• Like 7

tabu-2012-001.jpg

42. TABU

MIGUEL GOMES

i thought the decision to remove all spoken dialogue during the man's recollection, leaving only tinkling background noises, was absolutely brilliant. it's a shame then that the couple's story was really quite uninteresting, and its ideas of romance are rather windswept, if not idealistic, which become all the more questionable when set against a background of colonialism. the piano theme was beautiful; the use of song, not so much.

60 points Edited by lisa
  • Like 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wu5Lpe8z40Y

41. CURB DANCE

HARMONY KORINE

third of four shorts. i actually found this a little affecting. it's kind of beautiful.

60 points

• Like 1

hugo1122a.jpg?1321981753

40. HUGO

MARTIN SCORSESE

a glorious, fantastical celebration of cinema that is hammed up a little by a bit of (probably intentional) overwrought schmaltz. lovely steampunk aesthetic too.

63 points Edited by lisa
  • Like 3