luna

Lisa's 50 BESTEST movies of the LUSTRUM

It would be an F for me to. :ph34r:

well technically anything below 60 out of 100 on a 10 point scale would be an F.

but If I'm going by IMDB's 1-10 a 5 for me is like a C+

• Like 1

moonrise_kingdom_treehouse.png

32. MOONRISE KINGDOM

WES ANDERSON

light-hearted with a soft bite. undoubtedly extremely well compiled and its explorations of youth is interesting; nevertheless, something about it prevented it from really affecting me. perhaps it's the quirkiness that never felt entirely natural, a bit forced, not helped by the two leads whose effort was admirable but suffered the usual issues of young actors.

65 points Edited by lisa
  • Like 5

finding_viviane_maier2.jpg

31. FINDING VIVIAN MAIER

JOHN MALOOF, CHARLIE SISKEL

the most interesting aspect was how the stories of people who knew this photographically prolific recluse were matched with her celluloid on screen. i do wonder though, if our lives were to be barely recorded, and then dug up by some nosy archaeologist, whether a collage of our most 'interesting' aspects would too make us look crazy. john maloof was not a very good narrator.

65 points

Upstream-Color-2013.jpg

30. UPSTREAM COLOR

SHANE CARRUTH

an audacious and highly abstract experiment that attempts to represent human lives, or life itself, or even the entirety of the material universe as some interconnected conglomerate pulsating with emotion and desire. well, yeah. i dunno how successful it is, or whether its elusive goal even makes sense, as the characters seemed to be one step away from spitting phrases such as 'life force', 'chakra', and 'zero point energy'. whatever the case, it's nice to see something original. hypnotic too.

65 points
  • Like 1

12_02.png

29. HOLY MOTORS

LEOS CARAX

[synecdoche new york] is clearly present in this film about the artifice of reality, and its transparent visual, aural and emotional manipulations are highly reminiscent of both david lynch and lars von trier. nevertheless, leos carax is unable to sustain either the consistent aesthetic or the philosophical coherence of his influences. anyhow, this was a very weird movie that had the positive quality of being very much not boring, and i enjoyed it on a surface level. it just didn't hit me.

65 points
  • Like 5

12_02.png

29. HOLY MOTORS

LEOS CARAX

[synecdoche new york] is clearly present in this film about the artifice of reality, and its transparent visual, aural and emotional manipulations are highly reminiscent of both david lynch and lars von trier. nevertheless, leos carax is unable to sustain either the consistent aesthetic or the philosophical coherence of his influences. anyhow, this was a very weird movie that had the positive quality of being very much not boring, and i enjoyed it on a surface level. it just didn't hit me.

65 points

Well, I think a "consistent aesthethic" is far from what they aimed for. But I'm with you, it was more interesting than gripping in most sequences.

lisa obviously finds some satisfaction in watching and critiquing movies, but if I were to make a Top 50 of the half decade and had music videos and 2 minute shorts in mine, I'd really be questioning what on Earth I was doing with my time if I couldn't even find 50 movies I liked as opposed to simply being "not worse" than other films, or should I say 30 or 20 since we're getting close to those and still the comments are less than a recommendation. 

• Like 1

Out of all the list threads this is probably the only interesting one.

Nah. While I am do like the unpredictability of the list, Lisa's approach to cinema just renders the entire thread pointless. Who cares about your 29th Best Film of the last 5 years if the most enthusiasm you can muster for it is a 6.5/10?

The list should've been the Top 20 films of the Decade, at least then we wouldn't need to sit through so many lukewarm reviews, plus we would still get the unpredictability aspect. (To be honest, though, all of the lists could've been shorter).

well, yes, this didn't go so far. kind of got distracted with other things.

but here's the rest:

1. melancholia A+

2. the turin horse

3. dogtooth A

4. nostalgia for the light A-

5. nymphomaniac

6. a separation

7. black swan

8. another year

9. i'm still here

10. the act of killing

11. it's such a beautiful day