luna

Lisa's 50 BESTEST movies of the LUSTRUM

cloud-atlas-concept-art.jpg

50. CLOUD ATLAS

Andy Wachowski, Lana Wachowski and Tom Twyker

okay, so this might seem like a surprising choice for my list, i dunno, but then again 50th greatest movie of the decade gets a 5.8/10 from me. undoubtedly extremely impressive visuals and general construction, but it's all a bit too silly for me. huge props to the editors; no props to the scripters. i mean, its political philosophy really is ridiculous, not to mention ruthlessly condescending in that all too familiar progressive way, and generally becomes almost unbearable by the end. i found it especially amusing that amongst all its themes of love and interconnectedness was a battle cry for vengeance. nonetheless, it was gripping.

58 points
Edited by lisa
  • Like 8

Disquiet%202.jpg

49. DISQUIET

SJ Ramir

this 9 minute short is so obscure that it isn't even in the IMDB database (and i can't be fucked adding it). no, not all of them are going to be like this. where did i see it? on a site called MUBI. i thought it was cool, and, well, disquieting, so i added it to my list.

58 points

Edited by lisa
  • Like 4

The Spread is set below, Make your predictions for Under/Over:

I will have seen 20 of this top 50 - OVER / UNDER

I will have heard of 35 of this top 50 - OVER / UNDER

Place your bets :D

(I'm currently 0/2 and 1/2)

Edited by chasmmi
  • Like 4

Disquiet%202.jpg

49. DISQUIET

SJ Ramir

this 9 minute short is so obscure that it isn't even in the IMDB database (and i can't be fucked adding it). no, not all of them are going to be like this. where did i see it? on a site called MUBI. i thought it was cool, and, well, disquieting, so i added it to my list.

58 points

You're including shorts? Even shorts so unknown they're not even listed on IMDB? :mellow:

• Like 9

You're including shorts? Even shorts so unknown they're not even listed on IMDB? :mellow:

i'm rating the best films of the decade. as far as i am aware, short films are still films, as are films that are not listed on IMDB.

(that's the only one though, lol. three more shorts)

(yes, i basically included that just to be an über-elitist)

Edited by lisa

shot0013.png

48. FAUST

Aleksandr Sokurov

utterly bizarre. its topic of mythological desire and destruction is something i generally find bland, convulted and uninteresting, and it's sort of like that here, yet its atmosphere is enormously strange, unpleasant and perhaps even terrifying. not really my thing at all but i can't dismiss it. not sure about the rating i've given it.

58 points

Edited by lisa
  • Like 2

e1cahc.jpg

47. INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS

Aleksandr Sokurov

catcatcatcayctaCAtctaytcaytcaytctatctctatcatctcatcatct

ahem

melancholy with a capital Q. rather likable due to excellent performances by mr puddlebottom and miss sunggleborf. on the other hand, it just feels...insubstantial. i suppose that could be rather the point, but it's pretty much just a quietly depressing but relatively insignificant reflection on autostasis. ok that's a terrible made up word. anyway the best word i can think to sum this film up is 'nice'.

60 points
  • Like 7

The Effulgent Scent of Our Souls' Dreams (except the title will be in Russian or German)

It will be 27 minutes long and only available through Polish torrents. (Being listed on MUBI is way too bourgeois.) :)

And directed by a man with a German first name and a Armenian last name.  Except he will go by one name only, his Romanian nickname.  

• Like 3

Disquiet%202.jpg

49. DISQUIET

SJ Ramir

58 points

http://go2films.ru/video/dWlkPTE0Mzc4NjAzJmdpZD0xNjM0NjMyNDk=

for anyone who wants to see this, there it is.

It's shot like an old Michael Reeves movie only it's much more pointless.

• Like 1